Custom steel v carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Get a Cinelli Nemo Tig. Great frame and they'll do custom geometry and custom paint if you want.

A Columbus Spirit frame with DA or Record mechanical is a beautiful thing to ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robbyville

by Robbyville

Best of both worlds?

Speedvagen modern steel custom built to your geometry, with carbon seat tube upgrade to go along with carbon seat post, fork, and bars... just a thought!

Nicest riding bike I’ve ever had although more twitchie on descents from my previous Domane (which I knew going in)

benzebub

by benzebub

My only bike is a custom steel bike. I started getting serious about cycling when I was very heavy so I was afraid of the carbon bikes weight limit.
Since then I've lost some weight and was looking for a new bike this year.

I tested a lot of carbon frames, thinking this was the way to go. I was excited because finally I could experience the carbon feeling of stiffness, acceleration,...
After a couple of months of testing I put in the order for another custom steel frame.
But I could be wrong

octav

by octav

As an owner or former owner of Colnago/Pinarello/Willier/Bianchi carbon/steel/alu bikes and for the moment having a C60 and a Master I can say that descending is maybe a little nicer with the Master than C60. It has a feeling of it's own. No way to compare it uphill but downhill and rolling it's very nice and stable.
I am also thinking of getting a Stelbel custom frame, maybe next year :D

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Having owned a Master Extra-Lite I can appreciate the sublime ride a nicely built Master gives. My vote is for a more modern custom steel frame. There are many nice options out there, but as an owner of 3x Pegorettis I am a little biased.

Italophile

by Italophile

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/ho ... n-frameset

If you're not picky about brand names and you like the geometry, this frame is certainly worth a look. £600 for Columbus spirit tubing is a very attractive price point - a frame of the same material from Italian brands (off the peg) can run into 1.5k+. I haven't seen a single bad review. I'm seriously considering one myself built up with campag as it will be lighter than my current carbon bike and I have never ridden a steel frame. My only quibble is that I'd like to try electronic shifting but this frame is externally routed - I've heard steel is a poor material choice in this regard due to internal corrosion but I'm not sure if modern protective lacquers have eliminated this being a problem?

Field cycles also do some gorgeous looking bikes...

octav

by octav

Did anybody use a frame like this? It's a nice price point to try a modern steel frame.

Marin

by Marin

octav wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:31 pm
Did anybody use a frame like this? It's a nice price point to try a modern steel frame.
Yes, there's a thread