Shimano chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markyboy

by markyboy

I am looking for some compact chainrings to go on my dura ace 9100 crankset for a trip to the alps,dura ace rings are really expensive as they will be only used for a week.
Will 105 r7000 rings fit the crank?Althought they are heavier.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Ritxis

by Ritxis

they should enter, but aesthetically they would not fit..............due to the differences in the shapes of the arms cranks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What are you on now?

If you're on std rings you can swap the 39 for a 36. If you're on semicompact swap the 36 for a 34.

And get yourself a 32t ultegra cassette or maybe even a 34t depending on your derailleur hanger being longer or shorter. On trek bikes they are long. 38t cassettes can be cleared with medium cage derailleurs specced for 32t max.

Shimano shifts so well that it is possible to push the boundaries without problems.

If you are racing that's another matter. Then you might need that crisp fast shift quality. Get a medium cage ultegra derailleur and an 11-34t cassette.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I’ve seen a few people here run a 52/34 or 53/34 combo. So perhaps a cheap solution is to run a 105 34 ring for the Alps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markyboy

by markyboy

Thanks guys i am running 52/36 with an 11/30 cassette,so will a 34 ring work with 52?i thought the jump might be to big.
I have done quite a bit in the alps with my normal set up but this time we are doing ventoux and they say its really tough.
Ps i am not getting any younger lol
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

markyboy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:25 am
Thanks guys i am running 52/36 with an 11/30 cassette,so will a 34 ring work with 52?i thought the jump might be to big.
I have done quite a bit in the alps with my normal set up but this time we are doing ventoux and they say its really tough.
Ps i am not getting any younger lol
Yes but don't do any shifting under heavy load. I've coupled a 34t chainring to got with a 52T on my DA 9100 crank for two months without an issue. It works fine but not something I plan on using long term.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Going down 2t in front is nearly nothing. You need more than that if you're not ready for long climbs.

A light duraace 30t cassette will be a lot harder to carry up a long climb than a heavier 34t ultegra.

Function is primary, weight secondary.

My friends were training for taiwan kom for months, they added 2t on cassettes and reduced 2-4t on chainrings. Climbed 1000m in one ride several times, by going up climbs over and over again. They felt prepared but they still didn't make it at the event before the broom wagon came and carried them the last way. When a climb is long and continuous, and air gets thinner and thinner, you are going to need all the gears you can get your hands on.

DJT21

by DJT21

I think you'll be okay with your current gearing. The last time I rode it I was unfit, carrying an extra stone and had a rucksack on. I used a lowest gear of 34/27, it was perfectly okay, I just paced myself and did alot of it out of the saddle.

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

A 34 with the 52 will shift well, not perfect every time but really well. But how often are you shipping between big and small ring. I would not advise if your running Di2 with full synchro shift were there will be lots of big/small ring changes. Otherwise go for the 34.
Also I would recommend buying a 34 oval for these long climbs. I have had multiple 34 ovals from Absolute Black and would highly recommend them. For £47 they are with the cost compared to a 9100 chainring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naylor343

by naylor343

Just change the inner ring. You will benefit from the 52 on the descents. You will not be climbing with a 50 chainring so why bother. Added bonus is the inner ring is dirt cheap in comparison to an outer, even in dura ace.