Campagnolo Record 11 speed ergopowers 2011/12 compatability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

geca

by geca

Hi
As my 2011/12 11 speed Campagnolo Record 11 speed rear derallieur is broken and I want to replace it with a new one, I will like to ask if anyone in here has tryed to put on a Record 11 speed Medium cage from newer models 2017/18. If so also please inform me if it works fine? Thx. :)
Last edited by geca on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

it won't, they changed it in 2015

Roel W

by Roel W

They changed cable pull ratio of all groupsets in 2015?
A site or overview with all cross-compatibilities would be nice. Please Campagnolo.....

octav

by octav

A friend tried and it works. I don't know if perfect.
If you want perfect search for a second hand one or a Centaur derailleur?

kgt

by kgt

It will not work as it should be.

c60rider

by c60rider

Just spend a few minutes and shop around. There's plenty of period rear mechs from that era to match up with existing kit as I found when my gear hanger broke and my 2011 record rear mech wrapped itself round the cassette and into the spokes. There were some crazy prices on ebay and some shops but Fawkes Cycles in UK where I am seem to have a few out of production models and fair prices. Any 2014 model year and older will work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

geca wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:14 pm
Hi
As my 2011/12 11 speed Campagnolo Record 11 speed rear derallieur is broken and I want to replace it with a new one, I will like to ask if anyone in here has tryed to put on a Record 11 speed Medium cage from newer models 2017/18. If so also please inform me if it works fine? Thx. :)
The cable pull ratio changed in 2015 as others have noted. By the end of the travel on the lever, the cable pull is about 0.75mm "out". or roughly 1.5 full turns of the barrel adjuster.
Since acceptable shifting is acheivable roughly 0.5 turns either side of the perfect sweet spot for the adjuster, even if the RD is perfectly adjusted on sprocket 5, half way up the cassette, in order to halve the shift errors in each direction, shifting on sprockers 1,2, 10 and 11 will tend to be flaky, because the "barrel adjuster error" will be 3/4 of a turn ... even when the cables, chain, cassette and RD are new.

So it'll work when everything is new but the shift will be compromised, in Campagnolo's view, unacceptably.

Once any waer and tear or other inaccuracy creeps in (hanger misaligned, slight errors in set up rtc) the shift will only get worse.

Pre 2015 RDs are still in production and can be ordered from any Campagnolo ProShop.
Medium cage was never an option on pre 2015 high end derailleurs - only on Athena RDs, which were not desigened to work with CH, RE or SR levers (see many posts passim about the problems there).

If you want to go medium cage, your least cost option is a Chorus H11 RD with a RH gear lever body EC-RE300. YOu may need to carefully modify your lever hood to fit the new lever body in order to maintain the aesthetics.

Bear in mind that you may get some chain scrape on the underside of the FD cage when fully crossed, if you are using a 32 biggest sprocket, especially on a 50T chainring and if your frame has a bigger-than-average BB drop, as this was one of the subtle changes made in 2015 when the FD was also modified.

HTH
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!