Colnago V3 RS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

guadzilla

by guadzilla

Hi guys - need some advice. I am looking to order a V3RS for my wife, who will need a size 42. Based on her saddle height, the distance from the BB to the top of the seatpost will be around 65-66cm. So about 24mm of the seatpost will be sticking out.

Does anyone know if that meets the minimum insertion requirements of the post?

My local dealer isnt sure, and this is a "pay 50% in advance in order for us to import the frame for you" type of order, so i cant really take the risk of getting it in and then finding it doesnt fit.

TIA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Curious to note that unlike the C64, Colnago fails to list dimensions for seat tube length in the V3Rs geometry chart. So since what you need to know is the seat tube, those who are more adept at geometry will be able to more accurately deduce a more exact measurement for the seat tube length. :smartass:

As for me, I would think we could solve for the hypotenuese, given given top tube length, stack, and reach. So 133 mm (TT length - Reach) and stack of 514, using a right trianlge calculator, the seat tube length to the stack line is 530.93 mm.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Maximilian

by Maximilian

ms6073 wrote:Curious to note that unlike the C64, Colnago fails to list dimensions for seat tube length in the V3Rs geometry chart. So since what you need to know is the seat tube, those who are more adept at geometry will be able to more accurately deduce a more exact measurement for the seat tube length. :smartass:

As for me, I would think we could solve for the hypotenuese, given given top tube length, stack, and reach. So 133 mm (TT length - Reach) and stack of 514, using a right trianlge calculator, the seat tube length to the stack line is 530.93 mm.

Is it not right here on the chart..?Image

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

:sorry: :doh: Well, isn't that special. Sorry for my lack of reading comprehension, I am used to the C64 geometry tables where seat tube length has a seperate column.

:laughat:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ms6073

by ms6073

guadzilla wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:29 pm
I am looking to order a V3RS for my wife, who will need a size 42. Based on her saddle height, the distance from the BB to the top of the seatpost will be around 65-66cm. So about 24mm of the seatpost will be sticking out.

Does anyone know if that meets the minimum insertion requirements of the post?
Is that including or excluding the clamp? Regardless, a 24mm seat post height would be rather extreme and suggests that for that kind of money, you should consider a custom frame builder. To better illustrate my point, I did a google image search for Colnago 42s and found a facebook post with a women on a C64 in size 42s with what looks to be about 10-12cm seat post height.

The First Colnago C64 42s PKSL
- Michael

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

When you say 24mm I assume you mean 240mm and when I look at the Darimo seatpost chart and it shows what length should be inserted according to what is exposed and it says you need a 350mm post and I am pretty sure that small frame wont have a 350mm post in it to start off with. I have a 54 V2R and it has a 350mm post that corresponds to that size of frame.
http://darimo.eu/en/darimo-t1-loop-seat ... -not-round
Attachments
length-darimo-carbon-seatpost-1 (1).jpg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

guadzilla

by guadzilla

My apologies for my slow reply - for some reason, I didnt get any notifications about replies to this thread.
ms6073 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:22 pm
Is that including or excluding the clamp? Regardless, a 24mm seat post height would be rather extreme and suggests that for that kind of money, you should consider a custom frame builder. To better illustrate my point, I did a google image search for Colnago 42s and found a facebook post with a women on a C64 in size 42s with what looks to be about 10-12cm seat post height.
That is including the clamp - pretty much to the point of saddle rails.

I have long legs (35" inseam) and my seatpost height is about 22-23cm on all my bikes as well - have not had any issues getting my Venge or my Shiv to have that much seatpost sticking out (exception are the Trek frames, where I need their long seatpost). Pretty much any 400m+ seatpost does the trick as well. However, on a size 44 SL7, she would have needed a custom seatpost.
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:45 am
When you say 24mm I assume you mean 240mm and when I look at the Darimo seatpost chart and it shows what length should be inserted according to what is exposed and it says you need a 350mm post and I am pretty sure that small frame wont have a 350mm post in it to start off with. I have a 54 V2R and it has a 350mm post that corresponds to that size of frame.
http://darimo.eu/en/darimo-t1-loop-seat ... -not-round
Sorry, i did mean 24cm. It is about 65.5cm from middle of BB to the top of the saddle clamp right now on her bike. A 42 V3RS will need 23.5 (round up to 24mm) of seatpost length, if i am reading their geometry correctly.

So a 350mm seatpost from Darimo - does anyone know the length of the seatpost from Colnago?

survivor

by survivor

Question for the current V3RS owners, disc brake version in particular. V3RS was launched back in 2019. It has a good 2 years history behind it now. At that time disc brake was not in focus on road bike as it is now where manufacturers only releases their top of the line bike with disc brake only. Which brings the question of whether V3RS was released with a rim brake first and disc brake as an after thought? If you were to get yourself a disc brake road bike today, would you still choose the V3RS or you would make a different decision?

Currently in the market for a new bike and V3RS is in the shortlist along side SL7, Dogma F, and BMC Teammachine SLR01.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Oh most definitely I would purchase a V3RS as the geometry is really close to my V2R so I am a little biased for this bike. I think the only difference between the two is stack and some reach but other than that the geometry is the pretty close which works for me. Actually I found a 19 V2R in disc onsale so I purchased that and built it up this past October and the only reason I did this is because its a match to my rim brake 18 V2R far as geometry goes. So yeah the V3 would be my next logical choice.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

mag

by mag

Their main engineer is heavily in favor of disc brakes so I doubt their disc brake frames are any afterthoughts.

DaveS

by DaveS

Why not move up one size? It just needs a 10mm shorter stem or bars with less reach. My saddle rail height is 67cm. I have a short torso at 168cm tall. I'd pick a 45. Right now I have a frame with a 509mm stack and 46cm seat tube, but use a 30mm tall headset top cover and a -17 stem. I could use standard 15mm top, no spacers and a -6 stem to get the same height, but resale on a slammed frame can be more difficult.

Sege

by Sege

What is the standard seatpost length on the bigger sizes? 350 mm all across, or do they offer 380/400 mm for 56s / 58s ?

Darimo is of course an option, but I'm keen on painted seat post matching the frosty blue/red frameset.

Sege

by Sege

TY!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Sege wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:20 am
What is the standard seatpost length on the bigger sizes? 350 mm all across, or do they offer 380/400 mm for 56s / 58s ?

Darimo is of course an option, but I'm keen on painted seat post matching the frosty blue/red frameset.
Just get it painted. I need the straight seatpost and it's only available in matte or gloss black. I will leave but will have the integrated bar painted with a stripe in frozen red