Colnago V3 RS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dogmabike

by dogmabike

Thought you might find this real-world test of the new Tour de France Colnago V3RS interesting. I know the pros will probably use the rim brake version but still great to see how the disc equipped model rides

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sgergole

by sgergole

So, after a few changes, here is hot is the first result of the build I chose for the Campagnolo V3Rs

Model: Colnago V3Rs, Size 50
Groupset: Campagnolo Super Record EPS, 52-36
Cassette: Recon Cr-Mo 11-32
Chain: Campagnolo Super Record
Wheels: Extralite Cyberdisc 38C
Rotors: Carbon Ti Disc Rotors 160mm + 140mmCarbon
Rotor Bolts: Carbon Ti Titanium
Tyres: Schwalber Pro One TLE 25mm
Sealant: Barbieri no Stop
Tubeless Tape: Giant
Tubeless Valve and Speed Shield: Silca
Pedals/Power Meter: Assioma Favero Duo
Stem and Handlebar: SR9 100mm and HBR41 420mm (stock)
Saddle: Berk Lupina Padded
Thru Axles: Carbon Ti Thru Axles
Bottle cages: Tune Bottle Cage
Stem bolt: Carbon Ti
Garmin Mount: JRC Garmin Mount

Weight: 6,645 kg

Pretty happy with the result. I am awaiting now some finishing touches (seatpost+handlebar+stem+garmin mount from Darimo, bar tape Deda Traforato, brake calipers bolts from Extralite, race chain from Ceramicspeed) but it will take a few months for everything to arrive and to be set up. Overall I am quite happy with how it looks.

With another set of wheels, Campagnolo Bora Ultra WTO 45mm, mounted with Campagnolo Rotors, Pirelli Race 28c and Vredestein Latex tubes the weight is at 7,245kg. I think I will use that set of wheels most of the time (perhaps with Corsa Speeds) and keep the Extralite for the races.

hannawald

by hannawald

You can't race 6,645 kgs bike:) anyway will be interesting to see how ultralight darimo stem, bars and seatpost changes the bike, if you will be able to feel less stiffness from cockpit etc..

sgergole

by sgergole

hannawald wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:33 pm
You can't race 6,645 kgs bike:) anyway will be interesting to see how ultralight darimo stem, bars and seatpost changes the bike, if you will be able to feel less stiffness from cockpit etc..
I can race non-UCI events :mrgreen:
For the UCI ones I will surely put the 160gr somewhere to make it to the limit. Count on it :thumbup: :lol:

Not sure that there are many other places where I could shave some grams. I don't intend to change the crank, since in my opinion the Super Record is the best looking in the market.

hannawald

by hannawald

sgergole wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:16 am
hannawald wrote:
For the UCI ones I will surely put the 160gr somewhere to make it to the limit. Count on it :thumbup: :lol:

Not sure that there are many other places where I could shave some grams. I don't intend to change the crank, since in my opinion the Super Record is the best looking in the market.
Super Record looks good but THM Clavicula with Carbon Ti chainrings is also very nice:) And has the same stiffness as Super Record so you don´t compromise anything, just the money..

sgergole

by sgergole

hannawald wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:12 am
sgergole wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:16 am
hannawald wrote:

Super Record looks good but THM Clavicula with Carbon Ti chainrings is also very nice:) And has the same stiffness as Super Record so you don´t compromise anything, just the money..
The monkey that will will push me to go below 6kg is not strong enough yet. If below 6 is possible at all without compromising usability.

ironman1

by ironman1

For those interested in Rim Brake V3rs. Replaced my vr-2 with the V3rs and have some comparative weights. Both frames are 50 cm. V2-r bare frame (no cups, just pressed in headset bearings and deraileur hanger was 979 grams, fork cut was 365 grams. New V3rs frame was 870 grams and uncut fork was 400 even.Cut to same lenght as old fork 355. I was surprised new frame was 109 grams lighter. On the road bike feals about the same but maybe a touch more planted and smoother.
Total weight with race wheels 5870 grams ( 12.92 # ). I got light components but I ride dailey as is except race wheels.
Berk saddle, DarimoT2 seatpost, extralight stem, carbon works cages, Clavicula SE cranks, Look titanium pedals, Stonglite rings, EE brakes, 9150 drivetrain Garmin 520 computer. The only real upgrade I'd like to make is THM Ulna bars, I eally like the feal of the ergonova's and hard to rationalize $ 500.00 for 45 grams . Maybe in the future, this is weight weenies.
I've had a lot of bikes all put ttogether by myself. This is my fifth Colnago, Extreme C, M10, V1-r, V2-r and now the V3rs.and will say I feal this is the best riding and handling. After racing for more than 30+ years and more crashes than I'd like to admit the long trail of Colnago's is what I likel. I like the slower more stable feel, others like a little quicker feel, niether right or wrong just personal preference.
Last edited by ironman1 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannawald

by hannawald

ironman1 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:49 pm
For those interested in Rim Brake V3rs. Replaced my vr-2 with the V3rs and have some comparative weights. Both frames are 50 cm. V2-r bare frame (no cups, just pressed in headset bearings and deraileur hanger was 979 grams, fork cut was 365 grams. New V3rs frame was 870 grams and uncut fork was 400 even.Cut to same lenght as old fork 355. I was surprised new frame was 109 grams lighter. On the road bike feals about the same but maybe a touch more planted and smoother.
Total weight with race wheels 5870 grams ( 12.92 # ). I got light components but I ride dailey as is except race wheels.
Berk saddle, DarimoT2 seatpost, extralight stem, carbon works cages, Clavicula SE cranks, Look titanium pedals, Stonglite rings,9150 drivetrain Garmin 520 computer. The only real upgrade I'd like to make is THM Ulna bars, I eally like the feal of the ergonova's and hard to rationalize $ 500.00 for 45 grams . Maybe in the future, this is weight weenies.
I've had a lot of bikes all put ttogether by myself. This is my fifth Colnago, Extreme C, M10, V1-r, V2-r and now the V3rs.and will say I feal this is the best riding and handling. After racing for more than 30+ years and more crashes than I'd like to admit the long trail of Colnago's is what I likel. I like the slower more stable feel, others like a little quicker feel, niether right or wrong just personal preference.
Looks nice, can you please post a picture?:) can you compare original seatpost vs Darimo? Same comfort? Is it ok with 8NM torque for seat clamp? Thanks!

ironman1

by ironman1

On the V2-r the original Colnago post worked fine but was a pig, I'd have to check but I think it was 217 grams and had it pushed way forward. When I put the Darimo post on it was 0 offset so saddle fit better. I could tell no difference in ride. The V2 torque on seat clamp is 6nm, I tightended it enough that I striped the clamp and had to buy a new titanium one. Even with that the Darimo post would slip and every 3-4 weeks would have to raise it a 4-5 mm. The V3 clamp is 8NM . I tightened it down to 5NM and after a couple weeks has not budged

zappafile123

by zappafile123

ironman1 wrote:
Berk saddle, DarimoT2 seatpost, extralight stem, carbon works cages, Clavicula SE cranks, Look titanium pedals, Stonglite rings, EE brakes, 9150 drivetrain Garmin 520 computer. The only real upgrade I'd like to make is THM Ulna bars, I eally like the feal of the ergonova's and hard to rationalize $ 500.00 for 45 grams . Maybe in the future, this is weight weenies.
I felt as though the V2r was a bit stiffer so it felt like it climbed better and was more responsive to sprint efforts. Comfort of the V3rs is better
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

milanv

by milanv

zappafile123 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:08 am
ironman1 wrote:
I felt as though the V2r was a bit stiffer so it felt like it climbed better and was more responsive to sprint efforts. Comfort of the V3rs is better
And reality based on numbers in tests is opposite...

zappafile123

by zappafile123

milanv wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:27 pm

And reality based on numbers in tests is opposite...
Is that just Colnago's claim or is there independent testing? I'd be interested to see if you've got a source.

Either way I reckon there is a limited dissociation between stiffness and responsiveness - just because something defelcts less on a jig, doesnt mean out on the road it feels faster (responds quicker) when you put the hammer down.

Just my experience... V2 was more enjoyable to ride than V3 which even I think sounds odd.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

sgergole wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:18 am
wickedstealthy wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:49 am
Totally new here to this forum :)

Searching for some answers already a few days and can't find all the info.

I'm 177 and ordered a v3rs 52s. My major issue with bikes currently is the saddle setback. After 8y riding with pain in the knees and visiting several fitters the last one found my position where I feel comfort. I always had the impression that my knees where a bit pulled when turning the pedals. He shifted the cleats backward and shifted the saddle forward. The others always focused on seat height and reach to the handlebars only and looking at the alignment of the knees but forgetting the the hips also determine if your knees get stressed in the wrong plane.

So I'm now at 748-750 seat height and a setback of 4-4.5 with a typical long saddle. For the flite boost saddle I'm currently riding this means 6-6.5cm

And there you have the issue. Needing a straight seatpost is paramount to even get the saddle close to the correct position. On a 50 it's a bit better as the seattube is 74 degree but then I would need to use a lot of spacers.

Any information if the seat clamps on the colnago posts can be reversed to have some additional possibility to propely clamp the saddle ?
I am 180 and have a V3Rs in size 50, with a 100mm stem. Seat height around 733, with 9cm od drop between seat and handlebars. 100mm stem...
So it seems that we have quite different riding positions. What's the drop between saddle and handlebars that you are used to?
Idd. And it seems that your position changes if you ride a lot. I do around 10-15k a year and ride 5x a week now ...

Just had a recheck on fitting after many miles and training I wanted confirmation of my seating position. It seems I gained quite some flexibility in the mean time compared to the last check ...
Im now sitting on 750 and the fitter didnt want to drop the saddle. Drop is 9.5-10cm and stem between 10-11. But as the bars on the alanera are a tad longer reach then my current ones he advised to stick to a 52s and the 10cm stem for the time being.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

ironman1 wrote:
Do you happen to know the weight of the seatpost ? Im looking at the Darimo but dont like the loop stuff. So going to ask if they can have a 0 degree with traditional clamps if feasible.

ironman1

by ironman1

Darimo post with dylene loops and cradle is 87 grams. Lenght for mine is 300mm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com