'Dale SI Hollowgram Cranks - BB86

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
topherm

by topherm

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has been able to source a axle to enable the use of Cannondale SI Hollowgram Crankset in a BB86 bottomed bracket?

I know the length of the standard axle is too long for BB30 (being BB30A).

Am I dreaming? Or can it be done?

Chris

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I forgot the exact length. There's a place that sells all kinds of odd cannondale parts online. There is a thread/post on this forum about just this mod.

You need an axle length somewhere between the mtb ones and the longest road axle. Somewhere in the range of 110-124mm. And you'll need a pricier 4130 bb. I'm probably mistaken but I remember vaguely that the guy had to cut away a lip off the axle in a lathe. Might have been a different project.

The q-factor and chainline would be off. Are you sure you want to invest in such a solution? It might be ok for larger riders with naturally wide stances but for smaller/normal riders it could feel odd on a road bike. Shifting big cogs would likely suffer. Might work better for 1x with a properly placed/shimmed chainring.

by Weenie

TimmS

by TimmS

Try dr. cannondale or cannondale experts.
They have most of the parts.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

So many threads about this.
Issues. Small bearings. Wide q factor. Chainline off.
Just get another crank.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fizzaz

by fizzaz

NiFTY wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:43 am
So many threads about this.
Issues. Small bearings. Wide q factor. Chainline off.
Just get another crank.
Basically what he said. I fought this losing battle for a long time and it just never ends well.

hambini

by hambini

You can get a longer axle to give you the dimension across the frame but as others have said, it is a waste of time and effort. You will have problems.

Have a read of this

https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bb86- ... -crankset/
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...
Add me ON TWITTER!
Aerodynamic Masterclass in bicycle wheels
I fixed the bottom bracket from hell

by Weenie

topherm

by topherm

Thank you all for the feedback.

I'm yet the purchase the Crankset (was offered to me!). I'll stick with my current set up.

Thank you again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk