Shimano R7000/R8000 front mech with Campag Ultrashifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DJT21

by DJT21

Has anyone tried the above combination? Sacrilege I know but I might go ahead with it if it works.

I've no experience with newer Shimano stuff, although I did once setup a 5800 front mech for a friend and I remember it needed alot of cable tension. How much cable tension is needed with these new Shimano mechs? I believe they have an inbuilt tensioner, which means I'd be able to get rid of my inline barrel adjuster.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Cable tension is adjusted on all builds.

Front derailleurs are quite forgiving but I can't confirm your chosen combination as working or not.

I use a shimano fd on my sram group and it works perfectly. I had to make one modification. The cable pull ratio in a sram shifter is less than on shimano so the fd wasn't able to clear both the leftmost and rightmost chain position without rubbing (big/small + small/big). I clamped the cable on the other side of the bolt (effectively shortening the arm) and now it clears perfectly.

I don't even use a cable tension adjuster. I just unclamp the cable. I know, sounds amateurish but I don't have any issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

I did it with an R8000 FD (barely cost more than the R7000 version) and 10 speed Record shifters; setup was easy and it works great-the labeling on the FD is also very discrete.

It was also nice losing the inline tension adjuster.

morrisond

by morrisond

I use my SR11 FD with H11 Shifters without any tension adjustment at all - works great - just pull on the Cable when you are clamping it initially - it's not that sensitive as long as you have enough tension on it to start.

I did recently set-up an R7000 with Shimano Shifters for a friend and that was more sensitive - but it has the built in adjustment.