Light skewers without creaking ... possible at all?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
PrimO

by PrimO

I have Fouriers Ti skewers on both my road bikes. Theyre 51g and very good quality. I'm 76kg but not a powerful cyclist but never had any creaking issues with them, I have one pair of them approx 2 years now and still going strong.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32903895656.html

by Weenie

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

I have been very happy with these XLC branded skewers using a M5 bolt. Tigthened to 5Nm front and rear they have been perfectly creak free across both carbon and alu bikes. Not insanely WW but still respectable at around 60g for the set :D

As I cannot upload a picture here's a link instead: https://r2-bike.com/XLC-Quick-Release-H ... oad-QR-A01

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yep
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AJS914

by AJS914

StanK wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:17 pm
I tried Tune DC 100/135 (37g) but over few months creaking on the back wheel is started. On every ride, so it became tiresome.
I getting rid of Tune, put Spada skewers (60g) who came with the wheels and that's better. In approx. 2 months just once asked for my attention.
It sounds like you just need to perform periodic maintenance. Clean them, wipe off the dust, and put a drop of oil in the mechanism.

TonyM

by TonyM

I also had cracking noise with the tune skewers on my carbon bike. I then switched to the regular Campy skewers and the noise was gone.

I suppose that if I would put some grease on and in the tune skewers that would help maybe but that was too much hassle for only a small weight saving at the end.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Even if the creak can be stopped by grease, there's still movement in the wheel since a creak is caused by movement. Any movement is a waste of energy and the extra energy needed surely outweighs the weight savings of lightweight QRs.

nickf

by nickf

Any movement wouldn't even be visible. No way it could even be enough to hinder performance.

My QR maintenance when I do more then just a basic post ride wipe down.
-Clean dropout contacts point of the frame/fork
-A dab of oil on the QR lever ball socket
-Tighten QR enough to leave an impression on your palm.

StanK

by StanK

AJS914 wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:57 pm
It sounds like you just need to perform periodic maintenance...
Oh, I don't want that.
With all my previous bikes (in last 30 years) I was maintenance free when it comes to skewers. I don't want started now, for sure. If it takes 20 grams heavier solution, so be it.
I can accept that I need open and close skewers once in a month to stop any creak, but that's it.

Obviously I will have to bite the bullet (although some people already said Carbon Ti is fine option). I have few small parts from Carbon Ti and I'm satisfied with their products. Hope that skewers would follow same path.
Btw. they have two versions, 31g and 39g. same price. They claime that 39g have stronger clamping (for disc brakes), so I guess they have done some extra homework regarding sufficient clamping. We will see, I suppose.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

nickf wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 pm
Any movement wouldn't even be visible. No way it could even be enough to hinder performance.
You'll be surprised at how much movement there is at the dropouts. The chain is offset to the centerline of the wheel and there's immense torque being applied at the dropouts. Take a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAz5wOBxuMI

oldturd

by oldturd

Another happy Wert user here with no creaks.... you can try contacting him via email https://www.ridewert.com/

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

my external cam Q/r dont waste pwer. Really that statement eariler made me roll my eyes. The wheels I have dont move in the my carbon dropout even when shoving out 1kw.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Isn't that what thruaxles are supposed to remedy? (Reduce movement)

I guess they are useless then :)