S-Works 7 Road shoes 43/42.5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

I’ve used the S-Works 7 a few times now and they feel good during sprints no issues with them slipping off the heels. I just have some room at the toe end but great room in toe box. I did try on the 42.5’s without cleats and rolled my foot like I would in a running shoe and I could feel my toe at the end and the inner side of the foot was more snug against the shoe than the 43’s.

I’m deciding if I need to switch out shoes and try a half size smaller. Curious if with cleats on the shoe may prevent toe rub in the shoes (less spread of foot?) In the .5 smaller shoe which I tested fit with nothing on the soles. Right now I have 5cm give or take of room in current shoes of big toe wiggle room.

I just want the then best sized shoe for the $400 I spent. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A bit more room in the toe box is a good thing. Assuming the current shoe has the perfect width, you can try a thicker insole (or just cut out a piece of cardboard and add to the existing insole) and see if the thicker insole feels better. The thicker insole will give you the snug feel without changing the length of the shoe.

A properly fitted shoe should have 5-10mm of room in front of the big toe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

pdlpsher1 wrote:A bit more room in the toe box is a good thing. Assuming the current shoe has the perfect width, you can try a thicker insole (or just cut out a piece of cardboard and add to the existing insole) and see if the thicker insole feels better. The thicker insole will give you the snug feel without changing the length of the shoe.

I’ve used the red specialized insoles for my arches and I still have about 1/2 I or so of room in front of big toe.

Paperboy

by Paperboy

I had a similar scenario. I picked up a size 43 Toch 3.0 shoe- as my first ever cycling shoe. I'm new to cycling and thought I'd err on the larger-side since im a 9.5US As it turns out, I am a 42.5EU. I ended up exchanging the Torches for the S-works 7 in my correct size. The toe box and fit of the shoe are identical. The lack of wiggle room helps keep my foot more planted. I can feel the power being put to work more effectively.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Paperboy wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:46 pm
I had a similar scenario. I picked up a size 43 Toch 3.0 shoe- as my first ever cycling shoe. I'm new to cycling and thought I'd err on the larger-side since im a 9.5US As it turns out, I am a 42.5EU. I ended up exchanging the Torches for the S-works 7 in my correct size. The toe box and fit of the shoe are identical. The lack of wiggle room helps keep my foot more planted. I can feel the power being put to work more effectively.
I have some Torch 3.0s also, but in a 43.5. I am already irritated that I spent 200 on shoe that were too big and at the time I did not understand how they should be fitted. The guy at the shop didn't help either cause he said I needed room for swelling which after awhile I was like " my feet aren't gonna grow length wise wtf". It is too late now as I've had them about a year and they still work just extra space and the fact I can move me feet inside the shoe forward and back 3/4 of an inch just bothers me.

I felt like the toe box in the 42.5 were a little more narrow that the 43's. Maybe it was how it fit when I rolled forward without cleats to help spread the weight....idk

Paperboy

by Paperboy

What you could do, which is what I did, is exchange them under warranty. The toe strap ripped on my shoe. The the retailer ended up offering me a new shoe, to which I asked if I could use it as credit to upgrade.

I also use the blue ++ Specialized insoles. They helped with my foot pronation. I wouldn't use any cycling shoe without an insole- if your feet require them. I feel like the factory insoles are rubbish. It's just another excuse to sell product, when it should come equipped with one.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Paperboy wrote:What you could do, which is what I did, is exchange them under warranty. The toe strap ripped on my shoe. The the retailer ended up offering me a new shoe, to which I asked if I could use it as credit to upgrade.

I also use the blue ++ Specialized insoles. They helped with my foot pronation. I wouldn't use any cycling shoe without an insole- if your feet require them. I feel like the factory insoles are rubbish. It's just another excuse to sell product, when it should come equipped with one.
I could, but I’ve already got S-Works 7 underexposed sagans on the way. I’m gonna return the black S-Works 7 in 43 to the store and sell my torch 3.0 if they new ones work as I hope.

If not then I’m gonna see what other shoes are out there maybe try Giro techlaces.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:10 pm
A bit more room in the toe box is a good thing. Assuming the current shoe has the perfect width, you can try a thicker insole (or just cut out a piece of cardboard and add to the existing insole) and see if the thicker insole feels better. The thicker insole will give you the snug feel without changing the length of the shoe.

This is what i'm doing right now to raise the heel area because left side is rubbing my ankle bone. I might even add another layer under the whole insole about 2mm since I like that snug feel.

Shoes are excellent. Super stiff vs 6s and larger toe box is a huge upgrade.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I have giro empire shoes in xc, acc, and ltd options. 43 and 43.5 both fit fine. I reply because i just got custom carbon fibre orthotics and they are crazy comfortable!

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

RocketRacing wrote:I have giro empire shoes in xc, acc, and ltd options. 43 and 43.5 both fit fine. I reply because i just got custom carbon fibre orthotics and they are crazy comfortable!
Those giro do feel pretty comfy from what I’ve tried. Just got these in the mail today Image
B4330790-B245-41AD-B6B7-C897BD93E5F6.jpg

IchDien

by IchDien

bling

Paperboy

by Paperboy

Nice shoes. I was torn between these Sagan edition and the plain black shoes. I went with the plain black because I wasn't sure if my toe overlap would rub away the coating on the Sagans; very pretty shoe though. Congrats.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Paperboy wrote:Nice shoes. I was torn between these Sagan edition and the plain black shoes. I went with the plain black because I wasn't sure if my toe overlap would rub away the coating on the Sagans; very pretty shoe though. Congrats.
Thanks... I had the blacks and I’m glad I got these instead cause they are pretty sweet and the coating seems like dirt etc will wipe away easier

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Well rode with the shoes for the first time today and I can say I am glad I went to a 42.5. Way different fit with cleats and clipped in compared to checking fit on a bare floor. Even with my red specialized insoles they fit perfect and have room to wiggle in toe box
!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have size 44 ont shoe, normal shoes / running shoes / basketball shoe are all 43.
Which size S works 7 would I take? (I have wide feet)