2018 BMC SLR 01 - Team Machine Headset help!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clipsed

by clipsed

Hi guys,

For the life of me, i can't find what kind of headset bearing i need to buy. My current one has all rust and crap in it (it doesn't look great) and i was looking at buying a new one.

Just to confirm i am talking about the bearing assembly that goes under the stem, around the steerer tube.

thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sockman

by Sockman

There must be something in the air... I literally joined today to post the exact same question!

I'll add to it if I may; Is it possible to purchase the top cone from the SLR01 Disc separately? I have an ICS stem I want to install on my rim brake bike & can't deal with the aesthetics of everything not fitting flush and looking pretty!

That, or if anyone wants to sell theirs? :D

Beancouter

by Beancouter

If you want the original part and are based in the UK you can get it from Evans cycles as a special order. The BMC part number is 301148. By the look of it, You get the bits shown

Their phone number is 01293 701321 - they charge £5 for phone orders, nothing if you order in store.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clipsed

by clipsed

I was hoping to go a different route rather than OEM.. hmmm

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Bog standard IS / drop-in headsets. They're just a pair of bearings and a compression ring (and a headset bearing cover you won't use.) My guess is IS42 upper and IS52 lower, but you really should just measure the bearings with calipers if they aren't already marked with dimensions. For the lower bearing you need to eyeball angle of the inner race. Is it 45deg or 36deg...should be easy to tell.

For example, I just whipped out a spare IS41 headset bearing for my bike and measures 41mm in diameter as expected.

Campervan

by Campervan

Beancouter wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:12 pm
If you want the original part and are based in the UK you can get it from Evans cycles as a special order. The BMC part number is 301148. By the look of it, You get the bits shown

Their phone number is 01293 701321 - they charge £5 for phone orders, nothing if you order in store.

Hope that helps

I would not ever put a special order in with Evans for anything BMC. They have been unable to ever confirm when they can get anything, even a whole bike! They were able to accept payment for £8500 for a bike, and unable to confirm when I'd get it.
Rumour has it, Evans have lost the BMC contract.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I didn’t have a problem with them, albeit is it was over a year ago!

BMC moving away from Evans would be excellent news - it is a premium brand in most countries and doesn’t seem to sit well in the Evans product range

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Either sweat has pooled around the bearing = use more grease liberally, or the steel in the bearing is of crappy quality = look for other brands of the same dimension.

Measure inner/outer diameter and chamfer angles (36/45), and the height.

Campervan

by Campervan

Beancouter wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 am
I didn’t have a problem with them, albeit is it was over a year ago!

BMC moving away from Evans would be excellent news - it is a premium brand in most countries and doesn’t seem to sit well in the Evans product range

Oh I love my BMC, I'd of bought the new TMR if I was able to actually buy one in my size that I wanted. It was Evans being difficult to deal with. It is now apparent that my very good LBS where I got my Venge Pro Disc from now do BMC as well. Much more suitable than Evans for BMC.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com