There is no more rim brake technology....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Heard this statement from a youtube video by a sram mechanic/retailer....

"Working with the major brands there is no more rim brake technology now......."

Age old argument I guess, rim vs disc brakes, what do you think and where would it leave us consumers?

I mean, campy's new 12 speed and SRAM's new axs etap both still have rim versions, do you think in x years, there will be no 'rim version' left?

How will disc technology advance for us consumers? ABS?
Last edited by Boshk on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yes. But I'm gonna keep riding rim brakes for as long as I can, and I think that will be a very long time. Just look at the tubular crowd....they seem to have no problems finding tubular wheels. As long as there's still demand I think someone will still make that option available.

robertbb

by robertbb

I'm not sure it really needs further development, to be honest.

The last generation of rims from Campy (3Diamant and AC3) (and similar implementations from other high-end brands), are no worse than alloy rims when used with the right pads. In all conditions.

I'll be riding rim brake bikes for as long as possible too, and that includes on my commuter/gravel grinder.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Personally rim brakes on alloy rims are fine for me. Coated alloy rims better, direct mount better, and disks better still for wet weather especially. Let the market and the advertisers do what they like, the fanboys shout loudly, I've given up thinking anything I say will make any difference. Whatever happens I'll still have good brakes, and I can still ride so who cares? If nobody wants rim brakes then you won't be able to buy them, if there's still a large group of riders that still want rim brakes they'll still be available, that's economics.

I'll keep buying rim brakes and want my next frameset to have direct mount. If a company doesn't offer rim a rim brake option I won't buy from them. Currently disk is a gain too marginal for me, but when the weight comes down to similar to rim, well then I might change. I'll just review my position as time passes.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I can see them winding down rim-brake offerings like this.

Major update: Branding/look and feel changes/perhaps some refinement
Alternating 3-year hold: Groupset updated, calipers stay the same
10 years from now: New rim brake calipers no longer offered by SRAM and possibly Shimano. Either you buy the most current OEM model or select from a host of third party options
Not for a long-ass time: Cable-actuated brake levers disappear. Travel bikes, touring bikes, etc. will still need these. Perhaps Ultegra and Dura-Ace Di2 will go hydro and electronic only, but 105 will be "just fine" anyway. Campagnolo won't desert rim-brake users in any forseeable timeframe.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Maybe this is a younger crowd here but in 10 years I’ll be riding an eBike which no doubt will have disk brakes. So while I’m still young enough to push the pedals under my own power I’ll be enjoying my rim brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

consider low end budget bike still sue rim brake including mountain bikes. i really dont see it going away any time soon. people may stop developing more advanced technology, but rim brake will stay on. just like any good old fashion cable/wire at home, still just copper with a plastic housing...not about to change any time soon because of wireless technology.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

mattr

by mattr

There's no more rim brake technology they can be bothered to invest in.

Marin

by Marin

The problem is when you want modern standards combined with old. I have a hard time finding 650b *tubeless* rims for rim brakes, there are like only 2 or 3 relevant models.

There are no tubeless rim brake rims for 26" that I could find.

So if you need a component that uses and older and a newer standard at the same time, at some point you'll be out of luck.

mattr

by mattr

Marin wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:27 am
There are no tubeless rim brake rims for 26" that I could find.
Pretty much into NOS for that, or a ghetto conversion.
I've still got some of the Stans 355 rim brake 26" rims at home. Haven't been made since 2011 or 12, and they even sent out painted/anodized ones as "rim brake compatible". Or at least, the supplier i was using then was.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

what a stupid statement - what can you possibly develop with rim brakes? anyone who claims it needs anything beyond it already provides, must be riding some really crappy setup or can't do a basic setup/maintenance - even pretty standard 105 calipers and medium of the range wheels provide you with excellent braking power and modulation. and when you get DAs and some better, stiffer wheels, it's just works fantastic. proper pads for carbon rims are there too - so what the heck are we talking about?

if anything, manufacturers could work on integrated aero rim brakes. for instance those in Madone SLR are fine, but DAs are better. not that it bothers me - it doesn't, they work, period - but I believe if someone goes full aero jacket, that kind of brakes are a must (yes, I'm in the 'discs are stupid, heavy, un-aero and un-necessary' camp)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Bcoxa

by Bcoxa

Bit like aluminum sunset steel and cabon aluminum... Please.

Just ordered a new (second hand) rim brake steel ride. And canti for that matter.

Am sure some manufacturers will not provide every different combo. But for sure there will always be more than one.

This is all a bit of a joke if you ask me.

ancker

by ancker

Boshk wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:35 am
Heard this statement from a youtube video by a sram mechanic/retailer....

"Working with the major brands there is no more rim brake technology now......."

Age old argument I guess, rim vs disc brakes, what do you think and where would it leave us consumers?

I mean, campy's new 12 speed and SRAM's new axs etap both still have rim versions, do you think in x years, there will be no 'rim version' left?

How will disc technology advance for us consumers? ABS?
I think this is just saying that rim brakes have reached the end of their development. There are tons of light version, tons of aero versions, integrated, hidden, direct mount, etc. There's not much left to innovate on with the rim brake set up.

Disc is relatively new in the road world. Light/aero/etc isn't as important for MTB, but since they're just about required for gravel and CX these days plus the addition of road disc is going to drive some new innovations. There will be more aero versions, lighter versions, creative placement of master cylinders, etc. ABS? I dunno. I guess maybe, but that's a ton extra weight for sensors and actuators.

NOTE: I'm not arguing one will be better than the other. Just that the manufacturers seem to be conceding that rim brake technology has reached its peak.

jmechy

by jmechy

Rim brakes do still have one area that could benefit from more development - hydro. Hydro cables are far easier to fully integrate into a frame, so we could start to see truely integrated aero rim bikes. I'd love to see the next gen superbikes with a hydro rim brake option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jmechy wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:04 pm
Rim brakes do still have one area that could benefit from more development - hydro. Hydro cables are far easier to fully integrate into a frame, so we could start to see truely integrated aero rim bikes. I'd love to see the next gen superbikes with a hydro rim brake option.

Obviously this has been done before, but nobody is going to do it now. You're combining the complexity of hydraulics with the limitations of rim brakes. The safety aspect of removing brake heat from carbon rims is paramount to the industry...rim brakes of any kind do not achieve this. If people want hydro brakes, they will move to discs...others will just hold out with cable actuated rim brakes since they work "well enough" for their purposes anyway.