There is no more rim brake technology....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

In case people havn't noticed, the world is on the brink of GFC 2.0 - which may be more longlasting and far reaching than GFC 1.0.

Bikes are a discretionary spend, and while there will always be people (particularly older generation) who are cashed up and can keep spending on this (expensive) hobby, the major bike brands are going to experience difficulty shifting product en masse. This will cause them to consolidate their catalogues and that may put the squeeze on rim brake bike offerings.

The other thing working against the bike industry is the same thing working against the car industry. There was a 10 year period where technology and manufacturing processes really heated up and now we're seeing every bike look basically same because engineering through that time has figured out the best shapes, layups and construction methods and now everything is commoditized.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If one goes to the tubular gluing thread you'll see people trying out tubulars for the first time. There's always demand for a lighter option. Based on the fact that tubulars are not going away anytime soon I just don't see rim brakes dying off before tubulars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I think people who obsess over this care too much about fashion and trends and too little about what works.

Just ride and be happy.

On the point of saving weight how about disc brake in front and rim in the rear? We see it all the time in cars. Drums in the rear and discs in front. :)

DarthKrutall

by DarthKrutall

Tbh I think the whole weight issue/discussion with discs will be non-existent either with the next gen of groupsets or as late as the one after. Likewise I can only see the cost increase over rim will only ever get less as more riders adopt the disc technology and the price becomes on par with that of the more traditional rim brake versions

Truth is, you, me, your mate on the Sunday club run have pretty much zero influence in regards to what the manufactures produce and sell
If Shimano, SRAM and Campy only released pink group sets you would end up buying it if it was all that was available. That’s where discs are going

Don’t be surprised if Dura ace and Ultegra only comes in discs net gen, likewise don’t be surprised if those new group set weights come in lower than the current gen rim brake versions

Now excuse me while I reach down to my downtube to shift my derailleur

fxx

by fxx

DarthKrutall wrote:Tbh I think the whole weight issue/discussion with discs will be non-existent either with the next gen of groupsets or as late as the one after.

Don’t be surprised if Dura ace and Ultegra only comes in discs net gen, likewise don’t be surprised if those new group set weights come in lower than the current gen rim brake versions
I think this will be impossible, if disc brake groupsets come in lighter than rim brake group sets, then rim brake groupsets will again be advanced to make them lighter, you canna change the laws of physics, Jim.

The delta in weight penalty may decrease but will always be there, even 50 grams difference is a ton to some weight weenies.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

fxx wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:23 am
DarthKrutall wrote:Tbh I think the whole weight issue/discussion with discs will be non-existent either with the next gen of groupsets or as late as the one after.

I think this will be impossible, if disc brake groupsets come in lighter than rim brake group sets, then rim brake groupsets will again be advanced to make them lighter, you canna change the laws of physics, Jim.

The delta in weight penalty may decrease but will always be there, even 50 grams difference is a ton to some weight weenies.

while I agree on principle... lets just say that next gen groupset is disc only...if the brake levers are hydro only ...rim brakers are SOL.. Say in 2023 or something shimano comes out with 14sp groupset
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

nickf

by nickf

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:36 am
Baaaa.

I think it’s amusing. The custom/small builders are the guys who accelerated the speciation of the road bike and the demise of the rim brake.
Custom builders were building disc bikes to accommodate larger tires for the then new "gravel" scene. They didn't throw disc on to change the climate of the bike industry. They did it for the biggest benefit of disc, fat tires.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

nickf wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:49 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:36 am
Baaaa.

I think it’s amusing. The custom/small builders are the guys who accelerated the speciation of the road bike and the demise of the rim brake.
Custom builders were building disc bikes to accommodate larger tires for the then new "gravel" scene. They didn't throw disc on to change the climate of the bike industry. They did it for the biggest benefit of disc, fat tires.
Well the trend in the "road" scene is also wide if you have not noticed... rims being 29-31mm wide at the edge and tires that ballon out in that region as well. 23mm tires was the normal not too long ago, then 25mm and now you are seeing 28mm gaining in numbers. ( I love 28 personally)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi, only baa baa black sheep ride wider than 23mm tires.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:02 am
I know, I got padding everywhere else but my arse... I'll take 28s thank you :beerchug:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

stlutz

by stlutz

The component manufacturers continue to develop their rim brakes. So I'm not sure they've gotten the memo.

Having more SKUs allows for premium pricing and more profit.

Rim brakes will be around at the Dura Ace/ Ultegra level for a long time to come. That's what people buy when they build up a bare frame.

I could see rim going away at the Tiagra level as that's all sold to bike manufacturers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

fxx

by fxx

stlutz wrote:The component manufacturers continue to develop their rim brakes. So I'm not sure they've gotten the memo.

Having more SKUs allows for premium pricing and more profit.

Rim brakes will be around at the Dura Ace/ Ultegra level for a long time to come. That's what people buy when they build up a bare frame.

I could see rim going away at the Tiagra level as that's all sold to bike manufacturers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
What if there won't be any / many rim brake bare frames around, then what?

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:02 am
You wish you were a black sheep distinguishing yourself from the rest, but you're just plain white ones in the herd!!

Lewn777

by Lewn777

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:08 am
I still have a few Eroica vintage bikes on tubs... retrogrouching forever.
What have you got? 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

none

by none

Brakes, they only slow you down; who needs them.