Garmin Varia RTL510

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

kytyree wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:40 am
Someone from another post said he turns off the light completely but leave the radar on when riding in a group. I don't know how this is done. Perhaps one has to control the lights via the light network.
I believe you are correct, I'll try and remember to double check after work. But, IIRC, when the light is connected to a compatible Garmin computer you can turn just the light off from the computer, or set the light to a different mode.
Thanks. Right now I only have my 830 paired to the Varia as a radar. I might have to also pair the Varia as a light for this to work. But my riding group tells me they use my light as an indicator to know that a car is approaching. So turning off the light completely won't give anyone a warning except me. So I need to think carefully on the best approach when it comes to group rides. I ride with a small group and by now everybody is already used to my light :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

jfranci3 wrote:No, when on Solid it’ll switch to flash just as a car is right behind you. It’s *f##k* dangerous because the change can startle the driver, causing them to give a steering input. This control is closer to the hardware end of things as you cannot simply flash your 510 into a Germany-Spec 511
So much stupidity in so few words. If anything the change would print attention from the driver and make them actually see what's in front of them.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

kytyree

by kytyree

Yes, you’re correct. I looked it up on my 520+ and it was under sensors—>lights. You can go into the “light network” and set the lights to individual control if you have more than one and then you can turn the varia’s light off.

I haven’t had mine long so haven’t used it with a group but I’ve wondered if people would prefer the light to be off or not.

Also I set my light to only come on once I start a ride. That way I can get everything powered up and connected inside but I don’t have the light creating a disco effect walking my bike outside.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The light is steady then switches to blink at 50ft-ish, that’s the problem. If it was the other way around, it wouldn’t be an issue.

I don’t blinking in any case. In the dark, if it’s a bright light, it can make it hard for others to get their eyes adjusted, especially when some people have spot light and other have dimmer lights.

ms6073

by ms6073

Wife and I both have Varia's which thanks to 3d printed mounts, are located directly beneath the back f our saddles and have never heard any complaints from others about the Varia's flash patterns during group rides. I would expect more experienced riders to keep there scan moving with sightlines focused well ahead of the riders in front of them, while less experienced riders tend to fixate only on what is directly ahead of them, thus find distractions such as flashing bike lights to be more of an anoyance.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

thaking

by thaking

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:00 pm
Wife and I both have Varia's which thanks to 3d printed mounts, are located directly beneath the back f our saddles and have never heard any complaints from others about the Varia's flash patterns during group rides. I would expect more experienced riders to keep there scan moving with sightlines focused well ahead of the riders in front of them, while less experienced riders tend to fixate only on what is directly ahead of them, thus find distractions such as flashing bike lights to be more of an anoyance.
Can you share a photo or 3d model ? :D :beerchug:

guyc

by guyc

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:01 pm
The light is steady then switches to blink at 50ft-ish, that’s the problem. If it was the other way around, it wouldn’t be an issue.

It does exactly what it should.

Constant light and then as risk increases make sure you have the drivers attention by flashing.

The opposite would be nuts.

dim

by dim

there are guys who ride around with very bright lights (Im one of them but saying that, I always ride solo and often ride roads for long distance that I,ve never been on so I like bright lights)....

I have this Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 and I can tell you that on full power, you will have eppilectic fits if you ride behind me .... here's a review on youtube (I smiled when I watched this video as the guy will use it on factory settings on group rides.... full power)... I've set mine dimmer, but even so, its very bright both in the day and night:

saying that, I have the older Garmin radar and no one has ever complained about the lights ..... my son watches the lights and knows when a car is appoaching .... when I ride solo, I switch the lights off for longer battery life
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

ms6073

by ms6073

thaking wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:10 pm
Can you share a photo or 3d model ? :D :beerchug:
I use a Fizik Universal Mount System Clip v3 on my Fizik Tundra M1 but Bup Labs has a newer version, and for my wifes Selle Italia saddle, I adapted the Saddle Gopro Extension + Varia Adapter.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

groover08

by groover08

I can vouch for the BUP Labs product for Fizik saddles with the ICS. It is rock-solid with fantastic build quality.

kytyree

by kytyree

I picked up that BUP Labs mount, I needed another mount and have a Fizik on one bike. It is a nice mount, thanks.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Followed the principle from Rides of Japan using black dense foam to make a light mount for the RTL 516 varia.

Really pleased with the results. Weight should be around 5-7 gram, forgot to measure.

Double rubber bands overlaying each other.
1000008363.jpg
1000008365.jpg
1000008360.jpg
1000008361.jpg
1000008362.jpg
1000008356.jpg
1000008359.jpg