Mavic Cosmic Ultimate SL Shoes or other light weight climbing shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rlanger

by rlanger

Anybody have a pair and can provide some feedback?

I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes and I'm considering the S-Works 7 and these. I've gone through the S-Works thread, but can't seem to find any feedback on the Mavics. I'm mainly looking for a lightweight climbing shoe, so if there are others you'd like to recommend that are in the price range of these two, please feel free to do so.

Tried the Mavic's on at my LBS and they were very comfortable, but wearing them in the store is definitely not the same as wearing them for 5 hours on the bike, as you know. So, any feedback would be really appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Giro Techlace Prolight... redonk light and comfortable.. extremely fragile exterior so if you are hard on shoes or crash.....
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

A friend of mine has been on the Mavic Cosmic Ultimate SL shoes for about a year, swears they are the most comfy shoes he ever had and he often does 8+ hour rides, logs more than 25000, 30000 km per year so I'm believing his claims.

alanyu

by alanyu

Everyone has his/her own special foot. Almost no one tells others what his foot shape/type is when remarking on the shoes' comfort. I may claim that 90% people don't know what foot shape/type is. At least you should compare your own foot type and the shoe last/toebox.

Stueys

by Stueys

Sworks are great unless you’ve got wide feet. For wide feet then lakes tend to be great. But it’s all personal preference and fit, try some and see what works.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:04 pm
Giro Techlace Prolight... redonk light and comfortable.. extremely fragile exterior so if you are hard on shoes or crash.....
I actually feel the textiles, while thin/light, are the strongest part of the shoe. The TeXtreme sole is the worst. The heels on both my Prolights are splitting in between plies, and also chunks are missing along the edge of the sole. Then there’s the heel pad glue issue of course...relatively minor if you catch it in time.

I recently bought the Imperials in 44.5. Weights are 231g and 237g with stock footbeds. 207g and 211g without stock footbeds. I’ve decided this or the Empire SLX are as light as I want to go with shoes. Anything lighter would only be for KOM attempts or something like that.

rlanger

by rlanger

kgt wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:37 pm
Lake CX301?
Hadn't considered Lake, mostly because I'd only heard of them using Kangaroo leather for their shoes and I don't want leather shoes. But those appear to be microfibre.

Thanks. I'll check them out as well.
Stueys wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 pm
Sworks are great unless you’ve got wide feet. For wide feet then lakes tend to be great. But it’s all personal preference and fit, try some and see what works.
I've been using the S-Works 5 for the last 4+ years. They've been really great and comfy, and they are definitely not a wide shoe. Unfortunately, the sole is starting to fall apart at the heel where it connects to the upper.
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:04 pm
Yeah, I think I'd like something a bit more durable, but those do look nice. Durability is my only real concern with the Mavics. The upper is pretty thin.

rlanger

by rlanger

Ok, so I ended up with the Lake CX 301s that kgt recommended, primarily because I found such a screaming deal on them (about US$145), and all of the reviews I read have been quite positive. So let's see.

I ordered them online so I'll provide an update when I get a chance to try them out.

kgt

by kgt

Where did you find them so cheap?

jlok

by jlok

+1 to CX301. Very cheap and stiff sole. You will need to get used to the single dial operation. Pull it once, relief the pressure midway through the wire, pull again.

You can get it cheap at bikebug.com
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

kgt

by kgt

@ rlanger
And post a review after you ride them.

rlanger

by rlanger

kgt wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:41 am
Where did you find them so cheap?
Yes, as jlok said, I got them at bikebug.com.

Shipping to Japan where I live was just another $16 or so and I had a bunch of other items I needed that were also much cheaper than I could get here (KMC chain, Speedplay cleats, some Squirt etc.), so it worked out to be a great deal.

bespoke

by bespoke

I have the S-works Exos 99’s - at first it was a silly bit of fun; but in super hot Euro days we have had recently they are most comfy shoes ever ridden
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

rlanger

by rlanger

bespoke wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:43 pm
I have the S-works Exos 99’s - at first it was a silly bit of fun; but in super hot Euro days we have had recently they are most comfy shoes ever ridden
Ha, I'm sure they are. Only thing is... I could buy 3 pairs of Lakes (maybe 4?) for the price of the Exos in Japan. :D :D :shock: :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com