Ventum NS1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jih

by jih

audiojan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 pm
Deceiving fast, feels like you’re noodling along and all of a sudden your 3-4mph faster than you think you are going
Depending on your speed, 4mph (about 6km since the world isn't America) faster could be anything from 50% more to 100% more power.

Taking some typical speeds, 30km/h to 36km/h is about 60% more power. If you can put out 60% over what you think without noticing, you're much less sensitive to your output than I would be. How can a bike make it more difficult to gauge your efforts? And is that a good thing if it does? If I'm tapping o it tempo I don't want to accidentally go into VO2 max and blow up!

An easier solution might just be that you were going faster because of a slight downhill that you didn't notice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

jih wrote:
Depending on your speed, 4mph (about 6km since the world isn't America) faster could be anything from 50% more to 100% more power.

Taking some typical speeds, 30km/h to 36km/h is about 60% more power. If you can put out 60% over what you think without noticing, you're much less sensitive to your output than I would be. How can a bike make it more difficult to gauge your efforts? And is that a good thing if it does? If I'm tapping o it tempo I don't want to accidentally go into VO2 max and blow up!

An easier solution might just be that you were going faster because of a slight downhill that you didn't notice
If you had actually bothered reading the thread before responding, you would have realized the OP clarified that it just FELT like he was going 3-4 mph faster, not claiming that he actually was...

jih

by jih

fa63 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:59 pm
jih wrote:

If you had actually bothered reading the thread before responding, you would have realized the OP clarified that it just FELT like he was going 3-4 mph faster, not claiming that he actually was...
I read it. OP says "feels like you’re noodling along and all of a sudden your [SIC] 3-4mph faster than you think you are going." - doesn't say that that he thinks he's going faster - says that he actually is.

fa63

by fa63

[quote="jih]
I read it. OP says "feels like you’re noodling along and all of a sudden your [SIC] 3-4mph faster than you think you are going." - doesn't say that that he thinks he's going faster - says that he actually is.[/quote]

Refer to post #20 please.

jih

by jih

Ok, originally said is actually going faster than they thought. Then later said that it only felt like they are going faster.

Going slower than you thought is even worse. Imagine feeling like you're going 30km/h, looking and seeing that you're only doing 24km/h.

In any case, if your perceived speed and actual speed are in such a big disagreement, regardless of higher or lower, the best explanation is a false flat. Ie, you're actually going slightly uphill or downhill but the roads looks level. This is a better explanation of that than whatever frame you happen to be riding.

audiojan

by audiojan

jih wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:06 pm
Ok, originally said is actually going faster than they thought. Then later said that it only felt like they are going faster.

Going slower than you thought is even worse. Imagine feeling like you're going 30km/h, looking and seeing that you're only doing 24km/h.

In any case, if your perceived speed and actual speed are in such a big disagreement, regardless of higher or lower, the best explanation is a false flat. Ie, you're actually going slightly uphill or downhill but the roads looks level. This is a better explanation of that than whatever frame you happen to be riding.
So in other words, each road that I've been riding for the last few years are now downhill?! Very likely...

No, it's as simple as the bike is really efficient and I'm constantly thinking I'm going slower than I actually am. This is in direct comparision to my Pinarello F8, so no slouch of a bike.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

F45

by F45

Doesn't look like anything special. I'd give $1200 for the frameset and it had better come with a good warranty.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

F45 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 pm
Doesn't look like anything special. I'd give $1200 for the frameset and it had better come with a good warranty.
aero bikes end up kinda looking all the same in alot of ways... that is nothing new.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

otnemem

by otnemem

Papey wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 am
Just got mine! Fitted pedals, cages and computer and it's coming in at 8.1kg - does this sound right or is it a little on the heavy end for aero bikes?
I thought the selling point of this bike was to be a very light aero bike with integration thus justifying the high price tag. It ends up being heavier and certainly not as aero as others in the same price range and has limited availability.

I guess I should have known better after what was promised vs. delivered with their tri bike.

audiojan

by audiojan

Papey wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 am
Just got mine! Fitted pedals, cages and computer and it's coming in at 8.1kg - does this sound right or is it a little on the heavy end for aero bikes?
That's quite heavy..... My Medium built with Campy SR EPS (11), Enve 4.5AR, etc is just over 7kg. And that's with a Quarq power meter.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

audiojan

by audiojan

F45 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 pm
I'm going to assume that you've never ridden the bike nor actually seen it in person....

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Does anyone have any frame / fork / part weights for these?

Papey

by Papey

So my dealer told me the build weight is at 6.9kg. He suggested variation on my scales could explain the difference of ~.5kg after I'd tallied ~.5kg from the additional parts i'd added.

I do think the 6.9kg is the weight for the built bike without the dual pioneer powermeter.

Now to go off topic - I've really been struggling to find a neat light for the seatpost.. Can't believe how no one has a decent mount to sit flush with the flat side of the post

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have doubts you are 6.9kg without the powermeter.. I think something around 7.4-7.6kg is where you are at... I hear you on the light, you think with all these aero D shaped aeropost more people would fill the void in lights.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Specialized Stix work well on flat back posts.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk