Ventum NS1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiojan

by audiojan

First, I have absolutely no relation to Ventum other than I really enjoy their bikes.

I built up the NS1 with Campy Super Record EPS, Quarq with Absolute Black chainrings, ENVE 4.5ar with Schwalbe Pro One 28mm tubeless tires and the really nice fully integrated Ventum bars. This thing looks amazing and it’s incredibly light for being a disc brake bike with wide/deep rims, just under 16lbs.

So how does it ride? Deceiving fast, feels like you’re noodling along and all of a sudden your 3-4mph faster than you think you are going. The frame is also very stiff, but in the right way. Never harsh, doesn’t beat you up, but stomp on the pedals and it’s zero flex. I’m not the heaviest guy, but I used to be a sprinter when I raced and I still have a bit of a punch (1300-1400W sprints are still there...) and when you stomp on the pedals it’s instant acceleration.

The stiffness also continuous to the front end and quick decent are a blast. You can really push this bike and go downhill very quickly.

Best way I can describe it is cruise missile with rocket acceleration combined with a magic carpet ride.

More to come after I spend a month or so on it.

For reference, my other road bike is a Pinarello F8, so no slouch. I expected the Ventum to be slightly stiffer but i didn’t expect it to be as comfortable. I was right on the first and completely wrong on the second.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Pictures would help......never heard of Ventum.,

Gunnar

by Gunnar

I think it's this one:
looks like a BMC teammachine and Canyon ultimate had a baby :D

Papey

by Papey

Good to hear man. I've had one preordered for a while, should be getting it within a few weeks. I was a bit nervous about buying the unknown contender, and whenever I've tried to research it there is minimal info, so your post is very reassuring!

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

are they really charging $5000 for a $600 Chinese open mold frameset?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ChiZ01 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:24 am

One of the better looking ones though. Very clean lines, none of the random flares/flourishes usually added to Chinese frames.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ChiZ01 wrote:
can you find it ?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Visus

by Visus

audiojan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 pm
So how does it ride? Deceiving fast, feels like you’re noodling along and all of a sudden your 3-4mph faster than you think you are going. The frame is also very stiff, but in the right way. Never harsh, doesn’t beat you up, but stomp on the pedals and it’s zero flex. I’m not the heaviest guy, but I used to be a sprinter when I raced and I still have a bit of a punch (1300-1400W sprints are still there...) and when you stomp on the pedals it’s instant acceleration.
I don't get how people come up with these things. Every newer highend carbon frame feels about the same, only difference is more or less compliance in the front/back (which is often due to tires/saddle/handlebar) and geometry.

Anyway for their first roadbike they are charging ridiculous prices. They don't have a lot of marketing expenses nor do they sponsor pro teams. So why so expensive?

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:50 am
ChiZ01 wrote:
can you find it ?
go to aliexpress and search disk road frame

robeambro

by robeambro

The review seems written by one or more of the following:

- somebody who just spent money and really really needs to validate it to himself

- somebody who claims otherwise but actually has some kind of interest with Ventum, even if it was just a friend being an intern there

- somebody who doesn’t quite know how to be measured and objective (4mph faster, lol) and wrote a marketing piece instead

Anyway, nothing wrong with all of that, but there’s already online reviews if we want biased or edulcorated reviews

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ChiZ01 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:45 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:50 am
ChiZ01 wrote:
can you find it ?
go to aliexpress and search disk road frame
I know that much.. just have not found a match yet
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 pm

And you will not. Who would be so crazy as to actually do that? I imagine they came with their own design and likely went for a high quality factory. And they likely pay more for the frames because they can't get the same volume discounts as the big established brands.

All together for 5k it should be a super well made, finished and performing frame in order for anyone to prefer it to a top of the line SL6, SLR01 and so on - not to mention a much cheaper TCR Advanced, Canyon Ultimate etc. But before otherwise can be proven, lets allow the OP enjoy his new bike.

robeambro

by robeambro

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:09 pm
spdntrxi wrote:

And you will not. Who would be so crazy as to actually do that?
Nove bikes. Went as far as getting Phil Gaimon on board but their frames were then easily matched with some open mould Chinese frame. The details are somewhere here on WW.

That said, at that price Ventum would really struggle to sell any bike to end consumers regardless of the frame being open mould or not.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

Lance Armstrong has been riding a Ventum this year so maybe they're banking on his name causing a few bikes to sell?

Either way, at least Nove and Fezzari and other open-mold custom kit builds are much more affordable. Two comparible Di2 builds with 55mm wheels come out at $5200 for Nove and $7900 for the Ventum. Fezzari has a Force AXS build with Reynolds AR41s for $5200, which is about as equivalent as I could get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:09 pm
spdntrxi wrote:

And you will not. Who would be so crazy as to actually do that? I imagine they came with their own design and likely went for a high quality factory. And they likely pay more for the frames because they can't get the same volume discounts as the big established brands.

All together for 5k it should be a super well made, finished and performing frame in order for anyone to prefer it to a top of the line SL6, SLR01 and so on - not to mention a much cheaper TCR Advanced, Canyon Ultimate etc. But before otherwise can be proven, lets allow the OP enjoy his new bike.
$5000 for the frameset only, 2019 S-work Tarmac disk frameset only sells for $4500, you are saying this is better value at $5000?