Alternatives for Specialized Chainring Bolts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

Brands like Extralite etc don't fit as they are a little smaller in diameter.
https://www.amaincycling.com/specialize ... 03/p629338

The specialized ones are frustrating and extremely easy to strip with that super wide but shallow flat screw back.

Any suggestions? Is there a special tool for these bolts other than just a flat screwdriver?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

Shimano used to provide a small tool to hold the back of chainring bolts. Looked vaguely like a can opener except instead of a point at 45 degrees, it had two flats bent at 90 degrees, and a center prong to reach into the middle of the nut and keep the flats in the slots.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

There’s a few. The Park Tool CNW-2 should cover you (the larger silver one below with two different ends) . I had to grind one down to get behind the crank to hold the special bolt on the first gen 5 bolt Campy SRM crank. Every tool has a story. The black one is Genuine Campagnolo, made in Italy...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

gurk700

by gurk700

Man.... Sure a nice way to sell some overpriced tools. I'm amazed.
Thanks for help guys. Guess I'm ordering some.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Since 2011, Campagnolo chainrings just have the bolt threaded directly into the smaller ring, so they’ve done away with those style of bolts for the most part. And yes, it’s very annoying when they keep spinning as you’re trying to torque them down properly. The flat screwdriver method was, as you were trying to do, how I managed as a kid. And yes, there were a few “wide slots” created as a result.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ