Size advice for a Giant TCR owner

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Lewn777

by Lewn777

My legs are a similar length as yours but my torso must longer being 6ft.
I have had a thorough look at Giant's sizing as I want a frame-set that has reports of being able to take a high mileage.

I am certainly considering a medium as having owned and rented a fair few bikes I prefer a size down, probably because I'm short legged and like the handling. The are consistent reports that most people prefer a size smaller especially if they are between sizes. Also that the TCR has slightly longer reach than similar bikes.

Your bike isn't very old, and there is a new TCR coming at the end of the year, so I'd keep your bike until then. But have a good look at the geo on the new bike and go for an M next time. For now just live with it, and get a 100mm or 90mm stem to suit you.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Older bikes circa 2013 did have shorter reach, but a slacker seatpost on the ML size.

I'm on a 2013 TCR, seatpost is at 72.5 degrees, and a 570mm ETT. Given the 570mm ETT reach could be calculated at 391mm. Stem is slammed on the stock bearing cover which measures at 15mm. Currently running a 0 offset post. I do not like Giants saddle clamp on the stock post, I have issues getting the saddle angle correct as it is limited in adjustment. Also the seat is at 770mm.

Current models at 73 degrees are listed at 398 mm reach, which at the seatpost distance from the bb at the given stack height is the 8mm difference. Newer models are also a bit lower.

They kept the same top tube length and rotated the seatpost to 73 degrees. To maintain the same contact points I would need a 90mm stem with my current 77mm reach bar in an ML. Sizing down would require a 25mm spacer and I would be a few mm shorter on reach with a 110mm stem.

I keep looking...but having a hard time justifying a change as the reach is always out there. Not sure if I could drop another 2 cm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Dan112

by Dan112

I had this issue I'm 5ft11 on a 2019 giant TCR M/L with a 110mm stem. Thing I'd advise before changing your frame and spending hundreds of pounds is to have a bike fit... like yourself I felt fine on the descents (mainly in the drops) but stenched on the hoods...

The issue for me was the handle bar... I have the R8000 hydro shifters which have a pretty long reach on the hoods... the difference between the position on the hoods to the drops was around 3cm.

What fixed it for myself was changing to a zipp ergo handle bar that was around the same drop but a different position on the drops over the giant bars and a shorter reach bar at 70mm putting the shifters closer to me giving less reach.

You may have your saddle too far back or too high aswel or as you have said need a shorter stem.
Attachments
20190604_174858.jpg
Screenshot_20190615-044232_WhatsApp.jpg

parleez1

by parleez1

kafreeman wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:18 am
Older bikes circa 2013 did have shorter reach, but a slacker seatpost on the ML size.

I'm on a 2013 TCR, seatpost is at 72.5 degrees, and a 570mm ETT. Given the 570mm ETT reach could be calculated at 391mm. Stem is slammed on the stock bearing cover which measures at 15mm. Currently running a 0 offset post. I do not like Giants saddle clamp on the stock post, I have issues getting the saddle angle correct as it is limited in adjustment. Also the seat is at 770mm.

Current models at 73 degrees are listed at 398 mm reach, which at the seatpost distance from the bb at the given stack height is the 8mm difference. Newer models are also a bit lower.

They kept the same top tube length and rotated the seatpost to 73 degrees. To maintain the same contact points I would need a 90mm stem with my current 77mm reach bar in an ML. Sizing down would require a 25mm spacer and I would be a few mm shorter on reach with a 110mm stem.

I keep looking...but having a hard time justifying a change as the reach is always out there. Not sure if I could drop another 2 cm.

Here is a picture of my TCR Advanced SL 0 M/L with a 90mm stem, I need the spacers right now. I’m 5’11” w/33” inseam, also running 165mm cranks, bike fits me very well.
Attachments
99275773-65EF-49CC-809F-F75119A23C39.jpeg
3B44CA0A-BD5D-4456-8421-A5CEE4AE61D5.jpeg

devonbiker

by devonbiker

I tried putting a 10mm spacer under the stem and lowering the saddle to 75cm but it didn’t make much difference. And I prefer the stem fully slammed. When I look at the front wheel hub, it’s obcured but easier to see behind it than in front of it. So maybe swapping to 100mm stem will be the answer.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

My current fit...

Shimano 9001 Shifters
77mm 3T ErgoNova Bars
100mm Deda Stem
Stock 15mm cap, no spacers
0 offset post

But then the other day I felt like I wanted a 110mm stem on there. Might throw it back on.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

So I swapped the 110 for a 100, slammed it to the max, dropped the saddle down 1cm, put it back a couple of mm, and everything feels fantastic now, it handles like a dream

devonbiker

by devonbiker

How the bike looks now - BB to saddle top 85cm, slammed 100mm stem with headset cone and minimum (2.5mm?) spacer below.

Got a century ride week after next so will see how I feel then before cutting the steerer, but the fit feels really good now and I was able to put the saddle back a small amount as before I was trying to compensate for the longer reach. Handling is razor sharp, especially after giving the headset bearings a clean and re-grease.
IMG-0793.JPG
IMG-0798.JPG

zirxo

by zirxo

I'm the same height as you and with the same saddle height with the same bike a couple of years ago. But I ran it with a 120mm stem. I changed the bike to a bike with a lower stack since I was sitting to high on the M/L. It's funny how individual the position on the bike is.

But if you feel to stretched out try a shorter stem, that's the cheapest option and should be the first option. If that doesn't feel good start looking into another frame.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

zirxo wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm
I'm the same height as you and with the same saddle height with the same bike a couple of years ago. But I ran it with a 120mm stem. I changed the bike to a bike with a lower stack since I was sitting to high on the M/L. It's funny how individual the position on the bike is.

But if you feel to stretched out try a shorter stem, that's the cheapest option and should be the first option. If that doesn't feel good start looking into another frame.
Interesting, but with our height we are in between M and ML and because the reach is 3cm
different in those two sizes, it seems logical that you have to either size down on the frame and use a longer stem, or size up and use a shorter stem, to fine tune the fit? I did the latter as I think my legs are proportionally long for someone of my height.

I’m guessing you have proportionately longer torso and arms for you to be comfortable on a ML frame and 120 stem of you are 179cm?

zirxo

by zirxo

I'm actually 180, but I like to ride long and decently low.
If I ever get a new Giant I'ts gonna be size M with a slammed 130mm stem.

CXrider

by CXrider

Does anyone know what the maximum seat height is on Small frame?