Use of Speedplay walkable cleates and leg length shims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BiaNeutron

by BiaNeutron

Long term user of Speedplay Zero pedals here. Recently bought a new pair of pedals that came with the walkable cleats. I Also use a 3mm leg length shim on my left pedal. The shims require use of longer attachement screws and I do not see a suitable screw type for both the walkable cleat and the shims. I contacted Speedplay directly but have not received a respond. Asking to see if anyone has this combination right now, and what was the solution

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Speedplay do kits with different length screws to cater for your requirements. I’ve used them in the original cleats as I also have shims on both sides of my cleats.

It looks as though Speedplay now do these screw kits for the walkable cleats. See link below for an example.

https://www.slanecycles.com/speedplay-a ... gIZyPD_BwE

As always with Speedplay they come at a price!

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

If you are in N America it is hard to beat Excel Sports' selection of Speedplay parts:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... r-SPEDPLAY

Just be careful that you are ordering the correct parts. Between the orginal, V2, and aero-walkable setups Speedplay has created a bit of a nightmare when it comes to baseplates and cleat screws compatibility.

refthimos

by refthimos

The 3mm leg length shim kit should come with longer bolts
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

coresare

by coresare

What reft said. Speedplay has no reason to include longer screws

ipaul

by ipaul

Just be careful and pre-check your set up to be sure screw isn’t too long. It will dig in to your shoe sole.
:P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Methodical

by Methodical

I have a similar cleat setup and my wedge/shim kit came with longer screws; I got my wedge/shim kit from Bikefit. I still have a couple sets of the non-walkable speedplay kits. However, this winter I purchased a new set of cleats for my winter boots and I contacted Speedplay and they sent some longer screws at no cost; not 24, but enough to setup my cleats and some spare. I actually had a nice conversation with one of the representative about the walkables because I was not aware of them, still having the older V2 version.

Call them, don't email them.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg