Scott Addict Disc 2020

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
g32ecs

by g32ecs

hannawald wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 pm
With the stock wheels, gp5000 tl, full DA9170, integrated bar andWheelset weight is 1570 with rim tape, thru axles are close to 100 grams (rc ultimate axles weights less than 50g)

And the tyres weights nearly 350g each

So is not very difficult to save another 300-400 grams

Enviado desde mi MI 9 mediante Tapatalk
If this is true then it is easy to shave weight.. new dt swiss 180exp hubs or Carbon Ti hubs with Light Bicycle 46mm rims and Hutchinson Fusion 11 Storm Galactik in 25mm (will stretch to 27-28mm) and you will be a lot lighter on wheels..
This was my impression initially

Key is to lose wheelset and the stock bars. Just mind you the Creston system is a lot of money. You make a lot back on your wheelset then maybe a choice of mech DA/Red...youre easily in the low 7kgs.

There's no alternative bar/stem combo right now. I was in contact with Farsports and they said it's hard to get the Addict right now in China. I showed them the routing the Addict needs and said they estimate 2-3mos to produce one (which makes me nervous tbh, I would never think of messing with some China bars, at least for now I wouldnt)

pmprego

by pmprego

g32ecs wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 pm
hannawald wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 pm
With the stock wheels, gp5000 tl, full DA9170, integrated bar andWheelset weight is 1570 with rim tape, thru axles are close to 100 grams (rc ultimate axles weights less than 50g)

And the tyres weights nearly 350g each

So is not very difficult to save another 300-400 grams

If this is true then it is easy to shave weight.. new dt swiss 180exp hubs or Carbon Ti hubs with Light Bicycle 46mm rims and Hutchinson Fusion 11 Storm Galactik in 25mm (will stretch to 27-28mm) and you will be a lot lighter on wheels..
This was my impression initially

Key is to lose wheelset and the stock bars. Just mind you the Creston system is a lot of money. You make a lot back on your wheelset then maybe a choice of mech DA/Red...youre easily in the low 7kgs.

There's no alternative bar/stem combo right now. I was in contact with Farsports and they said it's hard to get the Addict right now in China. I showed them the routing the Addict needs and said they estimate 2-3mos to produce one (which makes me nervous tbh, I would never think of messing with some China bars, at least for now I wouldnt)
What? The bike already has the ic sl handlebar? Already has DA. It's possible to go lower. Not by much. 50gr on some carbon ti thru axle, some 200gr on some wheels but then it loses some aero benefits. Maybe the tyres but less than 50g on those.

300gr total. Apart from that not much more.

by Weenie

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

If someone who has worked on a build of this bike could respond it would be very much appreciated.

What I am wondering is of the cables pass through the upper headset bearing or in front of it. I am hoping in front of it so that it means that if yo uever need to replace bearings it does not also mean dismantling the braking system and/or DI2 or mechanical cables to do so.

If so then Scott has nailed it. The Cannondale system achieves this but with the major drawback of the limited turnability of the steerer.

Anyone know?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cunn1n9 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:30 am

What I am wondering is of the cables pass through the upper headset bearing or in front of it. I am hoping in front of it so that it means that if yo uever need to replace bearings it does not also mean dismantling the braking system and/or DI2 or mechanical cables to do so.

Think about it like this. The only way to achieve this offset tapered configuration is with two oversized bearings. Basically two lowers. If you had a smaller bearing on the same rotational axis, they wouldn't be able to offset the taper. If you had two oversized bearings on different rotational axes, well good luck turning that...

So the only practical way to route the hose/cables is through the inner race of the upper bearing.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

cunn1n9 wrote:
If someone who has worked on a build of this bike could respond it would be very much appreciated.

If so then Scott has nailed it. The Cannondale system achieves this but with the major drawback of the limited turnability of the steerer.

Anyone know?
Does this help you?

BTW, the responses from my LBS and Scott eerily sounds identical since Ive spoken to both. They both said "high demand" in a same sentence (forgetting what the exact sentence is). Skeptical me says it's Scotts marketing spiel, but I dont know how manufacturers operate with marketing their bikes. Anyway, just frustrated on the availability.
Attachments
Scott-Addict-RC-disc-2020-18-f9643f5.jpg
Scott-Addict-RC-disc-2020-19-4b28f11.jpg
Scott-Addict-RC-disc-2020-16-b94fb2d.jpg
Scott-Addict-RC-2020-integrated-two-piece-cockpit.jpg

ichobi

by ichobi

Does the bike come with headset cap that allows the use of standard bar and stem? Not sure why the ic sl bar is heavy. It shouldn't be but if it is we can save some weight with separated bar stem. Obviously can't hide some cable with this config.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

pmprego

by pmprego

ichobi wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:38 am
Does the bike come with headset cap that allows the use of standard bar and stem? Not sure why the ic sl bar is heavy. It shouldn't be but if it is we can save some weight with separated bar stem. Obviously can't hide some cable with this config.

Keep in mind that the frame as no holes for cables. It really has to go inside the head tube.

I think 3rd party alternatives start to appear. Specifically, Token Cable Box system.

As for the "heavy" ic sl system it's actually where scott saved most of the weight. It's one of the lightest systems there is (only beaten by the super light handlebar of the canyon evo - the very high end version) at sub-300g for the smaller versions.

ichobi

by ichobi

If it has no holes it just means you route everything as you would with the integrated bar, just that some cables will be exposed. Am only concerned about the hydro cables since I will be using etap axa. Finding oversized stem shouldn't be much of a problem. I have rc30 on order which will be upgraded with the ic sl bar though I was thinking just in case the bar won't fit my hand I could still use normal bar and stem.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

g32ecs wrote:
cunn1n9 wrote:

Anyone know?
Does this help you?

BTW, the responses from my LBS and Scott eerily sounds identical since Ive spoken to both. They both said "high demand" in a same sentence (forgetting what the exact sentence is). Skeptical me says it's Scotts marketing spiel, but I dont know how manufacturers operate with marketing their bikes. Anyway, just frustrated on the availability.
I’ve seen those pics but as I’m not the most mechanically minded person I wasn’t sure if the cables went thru the bearing or in front of it. However someone else replied and was sure that the cables went thru the upper bearing which to me is a shame. Maybe Cannondale’s way is the only way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmprego

by pmprego

cunn1n9 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:50 am
g32ecs wrote:
cunn1n9 wrote:

Anyone know?
Does this help you?

I’ve seen those pics but as I’m not the most mechanically minded person I wasn’t sure if the cables went thru the bearing or in front of it. However someone else replied and was sure that the cables went thru the upper bearing which to me is a shame. Maybe Cannondale’s way is the only way.

As the pic above show, they go through that plastic thing that rotates with your handlebar and that's why the turn is not restricted to 45º as in cannondale's bikes. At least is that what I understand from the several media coverage so far.

kolau

by kolau

cunn1n9 wrote:
g32ecs wrote:
cunn1n9 wrote:

Anyone know?
Does this help you?

I assembled the ic sl myself and the cables are outside the bearing, in fact, i removed the fork to cut it and i only needed to remove the front caliper hose

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kolau wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 am
I assembled the ic sl myself and the cables are outside the bearing, in fact, i removed the fork to cut it and i only needed to remove the front caliper hose

I’m still not seeing how it would be feasible for this to be the case with the upper bearing. Clearly the cables aren’t routed through the lower bearing, but I assumed people knew that wasn’t in question.

Also nobody asked if you could remove the fork without detaching cables/hoses...no, the question was whether you’d be able to replace the headset upper bearing without detaching hoses/cables. The answer looks to be “Nope.”

The photo below clearly shows an oversized upper bearing with hoses/housings passing through it:
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kolau

by kolau

TobinHatesYou wrote:
kolau wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 am

I’m still not seeing how it would be feasible for this to be the case with the upper bearing. Clearly the cables aren’t routed through the lower bearing, but I assumed people knew that wasn’t in question.

Also nobody asked if you could remove the fork without detaching cables/hoses...no, the question was whether you’d be able to replace the headset upper bearing without detaching hoses/cables. Then answer looks to be “Nope.”

The photo below clearly shows an oversized upper bearing with hoses/housings passing in through it:
My mistake. You're right, but anyway, I dont see a big issue with the top bearing removal, its not a common maintenance task

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Pulled the trigger on an RC30 in a Black Friday deal. Will strip down and build up with DA.Image

Targeting sub 6.8kg, unduerpinned by:

- farsports 45 with DT180’s , GP5000 and turbolito tubes - should be around 1850
- Creston integrated bar/stem; these are as rare as unicorn tears at the moment so may take a while to track down (any suggestions?)
- lightweight crank, probably sram exogram, stripped with lightweight rings

Not going ro rush the build so final build photos might take a while....

by Weenie

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Beancouter wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:22 am
Pulled the trigger on an RC30 in a Black Friday deal. Will strip down and build up with DA.Image

Targeting sub 6.8kg, unduerpinned by:

- farsports 45 with DT180’s , GP5000 and turbolito tubes - should be around 1850
- Creston integrated bar/stem; these are as rare as unicorn tears at the moment so may take a while to track down (any suggestions?)
- lightweight crank, probably sram exogram, stripped with lightweight rings

Not going ro rush the build so final build photos might take a while....

Any chance you weighed the bare frame?

Also did you consider buying a wheelset from more known manufacturers? LB rims+DT180s may just go over $1000. I was quoted for a DT240 set and Im at $950 already (with Kaze Marble wheels)