Scott Addict Disc 2020

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

MyM3Coupe wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:22 am
smartyiak wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:54 pm
That's a bummer.
Not really. Just one company’s loss of experienced cyclists/non-newbie that sees disc brakes for the silly sales gimmick they are. Another thing, it’s odd one hear “disc” on a WW forum considering they add plenty of weight to the group, the frame and the wheels.
I'm sure there's plenty of other forums that would welcome your great experience and modesty. Here there's plenty of blind unexperienced newbies who fall victim of the evil ploys of the marketing, not sure what's your purpose upon us. Maybe to educate us? How noble.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I think many guys who've been cycling for a long time, aswell as looking at the weight of disc brakes as a weight penalty they're not willing to adopt to.
Whereas more of the "newer" cyclists are easier to persuade.
It's really nothing wrong with both camps, but clearly annoying there isn't even the option to choose.

If we see it more closesly, if you pay alot for gram saving on components, adding disc brake is a real kick in the nuts.
There's just no way around that fact!

Finally, new bikes are very similar. There are few that tend to stick out. There's no meaning backing years and years.
We talk of bikes in the now.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

MyM3Coupe wrote:
smartyiak wrote:
That's a bummer.
Not really. Just one company’s loss of experienced cyclists/non-newbie that sees disc brakes for the silly sales gimmick they are. Another thing, it’s odd one hear “disc” on a WW forum considering they add plenty of weight to the group, the frame and the wheels.
I don't know if discs are a gimmick, but I don't think their drawbacks outweigh their benefits. The main one, for me, being: I almost never touch my rim brakes; I can't say the same about my mtb brakes.

But I agree that it's odd that, not too long ago, everyone bemoaned the backwards UCI and their stupid 6.8 rule...yet the most popular bikes on WW these days seem to be 19-20lb aero, disc brake bikes.

Miles253

by Miles253

Those arguing that discs are just a gimmick, are likely to be the same people arguing that a lighter bike is better than an aero bike. Not only is it entirely subjective, but the science is there to support it, marketing or otherwise.

Discs stop more consistently in all conditions
Aero bikes benefit more people than light bikes
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

LeDuke

by LeDuke

smartyiak wrote:
MyM3Coupe wrote:
smartyiak wrote:
That's a bummer.
I don't know if discs are a gimmick, but I don't think their drawbacks outweigh their benefits. The main one, for me, being: I almost never touch my rim brakes; I can't say the same about my mtb brakes.

But I agree that it's odd that, not too long ago, everyone bemoaned the backwards UCI and their stupid 6.8 rule...yet the most popular bikes on WW these days seem to be 19-20lb aero, disc brake bikes.
What high end aero disc brake bikes weigh 20lbs???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LeDuke wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:06 pm

None. My Madone SLR Disc runs 17.6lbs in its heaviest possible configuration, and the Madone is one of the porkiest aero bikes

Beaver

by Beaver

Miles253 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:44 pm
Those arguing that discs are just a gimmick, are likely to be the same people arguing that a lighter bike is better than an aero bike. Not only is it entirely subjective, but the science is there to support it, marketing or otherwise.

Both brake systems have advantages and disadvantages - if someone doesn't profit of one system's advantages, why choose it? I am 70kg and ride mainly in the flats in dry weather. :noidea:

And now one more choice is being taken away, because the industry wants it that way... :|

Aero frames:

Miles253

by Miles253

Beaver wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:50 am
Miles253 wrote:

Both brake systems have advantages and disadvantages - if someone doesn't profit of one system's advantages, why choose it? I am 70kg and ride mainly in the flats in dry weather. :noidea:

And now one more choice is being taken away, because the industry wants it that way... :|

Aero frames:

You do make a fair point there. I'm 75kg and live in a really hilly area. The roads are bad so clearance is a must for big rubber and the climbs are steep, windy and covered in crap normally. So discs have been a revelation for being able to brake reliably.
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

smartyiak

by smartyiak

LeDuke wrote:
...What high end aero disc brake bikes weigh 20lbs???
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was a joke using hyperbole. My point was: many posters don't seem all that concerned about the weight of many of the latest and greatest bikes that aren't near the UCI limit.

Lugan

by Lugan

Miles253 wrote:
Discs also free us to choose wider rims and wider tires, which I see as the #1 benefit, though as a rider in the hills around Seattle, I love the braking too. Our hills are often steep, some have poor pavement, and riding them with 25c or 28c tubeless tires at lower pressure and disc brakes is a clear step faster (descending is more secure) and more comfortable. I rode my Mosaic RT1 Disc with Enve 3.4 disc wheels and Schwalbe Pro One 28c tires for almost 6k vertical feet yesterday, and it was pure awesomeness due to the wheels/tires/brakes. I'll never go back to rim brakes (or inner tubes). And FWIW, I'm an old guy perfectly suited to being a retro grouch.
Last edited by Lugan on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 pm
LeDuke wrote:

None. My Madone SLR Disc runs 17.6lbs in its heaviest possible configuration, and the Madone is one of the porkiest aero bikes
I got some WW parts, but my frame + fork and the aeroness of the storage and water cages are porky .. BMC weighs in at 16.31lbs
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Gary71

by Gary71

Back to the Scott Addict. I haven't been a fan until now. I hate the new Cannondale SS, but like this Scott. It looks like the seat stays are aligned with the Downtube adding to the symmetry. There is a nice taper to the top tube and with it being wider side to side than top to bottom, allowing the top tube to give the impression to the weighlessness of the bike.
From these first photos - it looks like Scott has got it so right whereas Cannondale has gotten it so wrong.
What's going on with the Syncros bar / stem? There seems to be some funky textured finish on the backside of the bar to help distrub the air and help detach it from the bar making it more slippery. I can't beleive nobody in the media has picked this up.
I can't wait to hear the CdA numbers - it must be at least 7watts quicker :lol:
Last edited by Gary71 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

They don’t look aligned to me...close, but merely a coincidence on that frame size. As the Addict scales down to smaller sizes, the seatstays will become more squat relative to the DT. On large sizes they will be steeper. Also since when does anyone care about parallel lines? “Classic” steel frames didn’t have seatstays parallel to any other tubes.

Gary71

by Gary71

You're right.
I have a Master as well and an old steel bike is still the best looking frames out there......., clearly it's just my perception. I also said it looks like they are aligned, I didn’t say parallel, symmetry as in similar, heading in a similar direction, not like the broken looking rear ends of the current crop of bikes - time will tell when we get to see them in the flesh.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Now that’s a good looking bicycle. Was back then. Still is today. And will be in the future. Which is more than I can say about a lot of current frames in the market today.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com