Removing bike grease from your bike clothing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Is it a lost cause? Is there a trick to removing it? I have had some neon items ruined by it, and even acetone would not touch it.

Tips? What works?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Try something like Goo Gone, or go straight to Zep Citrus.

AJS914

by AJS914

I had a beautiful Castelli winter jacket with white panels that got a black grease stain on it. I was able to totally remove it with:

stain remover (spray 'n wash or whatever)

and

scrub with an old toothbrush and laundry detergent

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Dishwashing soap (like Joy).
But once you put it in the dryer, your finished.

ukracer

by ukracer

no guarantee but ive had success with spraying with muc off (or similar ) degreaser before adding into washing machine

mattr

by mattr

I'm another one in the dishwashing soap and a toothbrush followed by the washing machine.

Only downside is it can make waterproof/water repellent jackets less effective!

mattr

by mattr

joeyb1000 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:01 am
But once you put it in the dryer, your finished.
:shock: :shock:
Don't think i've put any cycling kit in a tumble drier since i was a teenager.........

springs

by springs

I use hand cleaner stuff that you can buy in auto parts stores. Rub it in, wet it, rub some more. Always gets grease out.

Matthe

by Matthe

Use toothpaste mixed laundry detergent to wash it.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

springs wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 am
I use hand cleaner stuff that you can buy in auto parts stores. Rub it in, wet it, rub some more. Always gets grease out.
I was thinking about this idea. Interesting you advised the same.

moyboy

by moyboy

I had a rain jacket that had some road grime and grease on it so just used some citrus degreaser in a spray bottle on it and spot cleaned it right out.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

moyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:50 pm
I had a rain jacket that had some road grime and grease on it so just used some citrus degreaser in a spray bottle on it and spot cleaned it right out.

Yep, citrus degreaser like Zep is still the best option for cutting through tough grease stains. It’s so strong you can probably dilute it 5:1 water:degreaser in the spray bottle.

moyboy

by moyboy

That's exactly what i used! :beerchug:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:28 pm
moyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Yep, citrus degreaser like Zep is still the best option for cutting through tough grease stains. It’s so strong you can probably dilute it 5:1 water:degreaser in the spray bottle.

diecast

by diecast

Possibly this is too late for you to try now but in my experience the best thing to do is put some flour on the stains before then trying any of the above.
Get the flour on it asap, preferably before the grease itself is dry. Leave the flour to dry - you an also try baking powder or talc instead - then shake it off and wash as suggested above. (I've had success with swarfega hand cleaner as mentioned above.)
The idea here being that the flour will absorb the grease and oil preferentially to the synthetic fabric. I've found that agitating the grease stain with brushes or scrubbing often only encourages it deeper into the fibres and using hot water can fix the stain in place. Furthermore, aggressive cleaning can strip garments of any DWR they may possess. Trying flour first can't hurt. Good luck.
PS this also works if you should accidentally spill olive oil on your clothes, don't ask me how I know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com