Bento box, bta bottle, saddle bag advice?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Hi folks. What would you suggest for my road bike for longer rides? Priorities are light, aero, quality. No need to go full hipster beard and carry half my belongings on my bike. Basic spares/tools, food, extra fluids.

1. Bento box (behind the stem). Xlab stealth pocket 100 is on the top of my list.

2. BTA bottle holder (single): needs to work with my berk lupina saddle. Ideally lightweight.

3. Small saddle bag (+\- part of bottle holder): for tube, tools, micropump, etc.

This is all stuff i want to clip on for longer rides. Thanks for input

Lewn777

by Lewn777

It's a tough one. I can never quite get things the way I like them either.

The bento boxes are good, aero and convenient, but many of them don't hold much so be careful with sizing, also if your stem is slammed they can cause fitment issues.
Saddle bags usually rip apart my shorts, plus I hate having something waggling around that might full off, and if it does fall off could make me walk home.
Jersey pockets are for food and cell phone IMO.
Bottle in frame, no go. Need the fluids, very hot here in the summer, need one bottle for water and one for iso drinks etc
Small rear frame bag, prevents easy removal of rear bottle, and causes a little rub on the inside of shorts.

I've settled with a bento box (I call it a fuel tank), and a small frame bag.

I'd like to investigate underseat bottle options (was thing about an Elite carbon) and secure underseat bottles that don't rub om shorts.

I bring quite a lot, but I've always needed lipstick usb charger, 2 tubes (one lightweight and one welterweight), large mini pump, small hex key kit, 2 and two tire levers.
Last edited by Lewn777 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A 50km ride over crap terrain could require more stuff than a 200km ride on nice roads.

Aero are frame bags, saddle bags, top tube bags. If you need a lot of stuff just use a frame bag. Ideally just fit it into an under seat bag. There are many sizes. I have a small one that weighs 50gr but I never use it. I fit all my stuff in my jersey pockets. (Even bottle)

The issue of bibs rubbing is for when your seat has a far setback.

I bring one inner tube (super thin 50gr), and 2 patches/cement/abraisive pad/tire lever/micropump). With this I can repair 3 punctures, one of them quick.

All of this in a small bag together with key/phone. Thats jersey pocket no.1.

Jersey pocket no.2 I carry an 850ml bottle of mixed drink. Bottle = 40gr.

Jersey pocket no.3 I carry some food.

On really hot days or riding over 60km the drink isn't enough.

On long tours like 100+km I take a 2L drink bag unless I go on the TT bike where I have a 1L aerobar bottle with straw, plus 850ml jersey bottle.

No bike bags needed. And yes I mostly stay seated although I'm fine with riding standing up short intervals. I don't think of my pockets except for bunnyhopping.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I can't stand seat bags and so I don't use one. I have a custom Ti bike so I have a third set of bottle cage bosses under the downtube. I put all of my tools and spare tubes in a soft container and it goes below the downtube. I have two Zefal 1L bottles for the hot days. If the temp. is hot and the ride is long, I drink 1/2L of water before I start the ride.

I bought a bento box but apparently it's too wide and it rubs against my legs when I climb out of the saddle.

Being a smaller rider all of my jerseys have tiny pockets. The pockets are only good for gels and a maximum of three small bananas.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Anyone got any leads on long thin but quite high bento boxes or fuel tanks?

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Thanks for the input. I am Trying the xlab 100 behind the stem storage unit, an xlab behind the seat bittle, and the xlab aero 300 bag that goes behind the rear sear bottle. Taking a bit of a risk that it will mount in my lupina. Also, my rear bittle holder mount is composite... and not advised for the aero bag, but i will try it as contents should be light and i want something easy on carbon.

robeambro

by robeambro

RocketRacing wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:20 pm
Thanks for the input. I am Trying the xlab 100 behind the stem storage unit, an xlab behind the seat bittle, and the xlab aero 300 bag that goes behind the rear sear bottle. Taking a bit of a risk that it will mount in my lupina. Also, my rear bittle holder mount is composite... and not advised for the aero bag, but i will try it as contents should be light and i want something easy on carbon.
Please upload pics if you happen to buy all of this stuff, I'd be curious as to how it looks on your Felt !

spookyload

by spookyload

I’ve gone to this for my cross/gravel/commute bike. It holds a micro pump, small multi tool, tire boot and tube.
FC4D5F64-6156-4F21-9F36-87C907FE8E2D.jpeg

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

robeambro wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:02 pm
RocketRacing wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:20 pm
Please upload pics if you happen to buy all of this stuff, I'd be curious as to how it looks on your Felt !
Will do. All on order. It should blend in pretty well with my black carbon frame.

markdjr

by markdjr

My favorite bento is the revelate desgins mag tank. Its a good size and the closure mechanism is great for getting in and out of.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Wolftooth b-rad framepump bag. https://photos.app.goo.gl/EPJzaMuQxx8ry5fb6 holds a pair of gloves, some gels, some salt tabs, etc. Can fit in a bunch of places.