Bike fit calculator resources....

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

TobinHatesYou wrote:Setting my own saddle position is fine and dandy, but there are things I'd rather leave to experienced fitters like having custom orthotics made and making the necessary adjustments to get rid of varus/vagus instability.
I’m not aware of any fitters in my city that also handle this sort of thing. I wish they did as I use orthotics in my normal shoes and they’re no good in my cycling shoes. I’ve had to experiment with clear wedges myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:21 am
Setting my own saddle position is fine and dandy, but there are things I'd rather leave to experienced fitters like having custom orthotics made and making the necessary adjustments to get rid of varus/vagus instability.
That does make a lot of sense because ski boot fitters can work wonders. I've always thought a bike fitting is most useful for foot and knee related issues. Clearly the more an outlier you are the more you'd benefit. Although I do wonder how well trained in this area the average fitter might be according to tarmackev's post. Possibly a consultation with a podiatrist with an interest in sport or cycling and then a trip to an experienced fitter would be a better. Not something I have clue about, but it's something I'd be keen to look into if I was at the start of a competitve cycling career.

by Weenie

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Has anyone used the Retul Muve system to size themselves up for a new bike? Did it do a good job of determing what size bike you needed?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Schadenfreude wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:45 am
Has anyone used the Retul Muve system to size themselves up for a new bike? Did it do a good job of determing what size bike you needed?

I don’t think the Retul jig is as good as the one Trek Precison Fit uses... the one that basically looks like two columns on rails. They have the same functionality, so it’s just down to how much of a PITA it is for the fitter to make adjustments.

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 am
Schadenfreude wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:45 am

I don’t think the Retul jig is as good as the one Trek Precison Fit uses... the one that basically looks like two columns on rails. They have the same functionality, so it’s just down to how much of a PITA it is for the fitter to make adjustments.
None of those in my city, apparently!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Schadenfreude wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:36 am

None of those in my city, apparently!

Some Retul fitters use that jig anyway. It's all about the fitter, really, not the hardware...the software can help with the assessment, but it comes down to how the fitter interprets the data.

Matthe

by Matthe

mattr wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 am
Matthe wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 am
This image might be helpful
Nope......

;)

Okay, then take a look at this article?
https://triaero.com/blogs/news/what-size-bike-do-i-need
Perhaps any calculator resource is not as good as asking the seller.
I have always done this.

mattr

by mattr

Matthe wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am
Okay, then take a look at this article?
https://triaero.com/blogs/news/what-size-bike-do-i-need
Perhaps any calculator resource is not as good as asking the seller.
I have always done this.
I'd not ask the "seller" either. Mostly all they have access to is those sizing charts.

That blog only goes part way to proper sizing, but it's better than a look up table.

Methodical

by Methodical

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Trek Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg
'12 Trek Madone (Black) - 6.96kg
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

Gutsyfungus

by Gutsyfungus

Im getting there guys slowly and thank-you for the replies...

After trying a few bike fit calculators online and getting different answers to the same question, curiosity was replaced with distrust.
I can't afford a bike fit so that's out. Feedback I have reviewed often reveals conflicting feedback. Couple this with a bike I don;t have yet...

As one responder mentioned earlier on in this thread. I do have my current bike and existing riding position. (This has taken me a year or so of tweaking to get just about right) Put together the existing geometry for the bike and I can quite accurately work stuff out. Just spending some time videoing myself riding in various positions also assisted in getting an understanding of the different riding positions I employ whilst riding. Initially confusing it ended up being very useful in understanding the whole "fit" question.

Add in scale 3:1 technical drawings that I spent some time making up of the existing bike and the proposed bikes and I think I am making progress.

It also pointed out one of the online calculators that seemed to churn out good data.

The one MAJOR drawback...if i get it all wrong I can;t blame anyone else other than myself!

:(

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Gutsy.