Bike fit calculator resources....

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Gutsyfungus

by Gutsyfungus

Hey guys.

I'm in the process of sizing a new frameset...I just need to translate this to the new frameset and select the right size.

I have what I beleive is a fairly comfortable position on my existing bike, though I would add I'm not 100% convinced it is optimum. (Bike fitting: I'd love to do it, but out of my budget)

the competitive cyclist.com link referred to in this thread doesn't work in the UK....we automatically get redirected to a hiking website... something to do with GDPR regulations (whatever those are). It sucks eitherway.

So....is there a list of suggested resources that you guys might suggest that could get me started?

Have found one resource in the UK that seems to be legit (even more exciting I don't get diverted to a hiking website trying to sell me tents!)?

https://pedalforce.com/online/bikefit.php

I'd appreciate the feedback.

All the best

Gutsy_Fungus

As and when I arrive at my conclusions, it would be pretty awesome if one of you guys wold give it the once over and double chack my sanity too!

by Weenie

tarmackev

by tarmackev

My two cents worth on bike fit.
I was a qualified Retul fitter, Trek fitter and Guru fitter (the best of the three).
I spent years as a PT/Gym instructor and had a very basic knowledge of biomechanics that I used when instructing and after all the bike fit courses I was never truly convinced that a fit was a necessity.

There’s always a theoretical perfect position but it’s often not what people preferred.
I found people coming up me with injuries and honestly I’m not a physio, a two day bike fit course does not qualify you to fix injuries.
I know plenty of physios with all the qualifications and I barely trust lots of these with injuries, a bike fitter definitely not.

After years of fitting and with the more knowledge I gained I lost more and more faith in bike fits.
A lot of fitters believe their own bullshit, some courses are a few hours long and you’d think the fitter had a PHD at the finish.
On my courses I was fitted by super experienced fitters, guys who’ve fitted pro riders who all had stellar reputations and I ended up with different fits every time.

We can all ride road, CX, TT and MTB with totally different positions.

Find one that works for you and go with it.

I do see cyclists who are a million miles out and they certainly need some guidance, lots of people with saddles too high but a full bike fit is rarely needed. Get your saddle height ball park right and you’re good. When I see fits with hoods at a certain angle and other things set to the mm I’m not sure what to think. I don’t believe you can fit to the mm in most areas.

I’m sure others will have a vastly different opinion to me but it’s just my experience as a fitter, I’ve had plenty of happy customers, the best outcome was on the Guru system where they basically fit themselves and I just kept them from going to far in to the red in any particular area.

I bet on this forum there are people who are long time cyclists who have tons of experience, they’ve seen positions and riding styles change over the decades. I’d trust these people over a fitter whose been riding for three years and who has qualifications up the wazoo.

Get your saddle height correct and play with other positions, reach and height etc. 30-90 mins on an indoor bike gives you vastly different fit to real world riding.

You can ride a position outside for 5 hours and be comfy, put the exact same bike on the turbo inside and it feels stretched, you’re sitting up every 20 mins to take the strain of your arms and taint.

Fit yourself outside on the road. (In my opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewn777

by Lewn777

tarmackev wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:25 am
I was a qualified Retul fitter, Trek fitter and Guru fitter (the best of the three).
I spent years as a PT/Gym instructor and had a very basic knowledge of biomechanics that I used when instructing and after all the bike fit courses I was never truly convinced that a fit was a necessity.

There’s always a theoretical perfect position but it’s often not what people preferred.
I found people coming up me with injuries and honestly I’m not a physio, a two day bike fit course does not qualify you to fix injuries.
I know plenty of physios with all the qualifications and I barely trust lots of these with injuries, a bike fitter definitely not.

After years of fitting and with the more knowledge I gained I lost more and more faith in bike fits.
A lot of fitters believe their own bullshit, some courses are a few hours long and you’d think the fitter had a PHD at the finish.
On my courses I was fitted by super experienced fitters, guys who’ve fitted pro riders who all had stellar reputations and I ended up with different fits every time.

I do see cyclists who are a million miles out and they certainly need some guidance, lots of people with saddles too high but a full bike fit is rarely needed. Get your saddle height ball park right and you’re good. When I see fits with hoods at a certain angle and other things set to the mm I’m not sure what to think. I don’t believe you can fit to the mm in most areas.

I’m sure others will have a vastly different opinion to me but it’s just my experience as a fitter, I’ve had plenty of happy customers, the best outcome was on the Guru system where they basically fit themselves and I just kept them from going to far in to the red in any particular area.

I bet on this forum there are people who are long time cyclists who have tons of experience, they’ve seen positions and riding styles change over the decades. I’d trust these people over a fitter whose been riding for three years and who has qualifications up the wazoo.

Get your saddle height correct and play with other positions, reach and height etc. 30-90 mins on an indoor bike gives you vastly different fit to real world riding.

You can ride a position outside for 5 hours and be comfy, put the exact same bike on the turbo inside and it feels stretched, you’re sitting up every 20 mins to take the strain of your arms and taint.

Amazing post, thanks so much. :thumbup:

Calnago

by Calnago

tarmackev wrote:My two cents worth on bike fit....
If you had two cents for every bad “bike fit” you’d be a zillionaire. Agree with pretty much everything you said. There’s some very basic concepts to grasp, but it’s gotten pretty crazy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:16 pm
but it’s gotten pretty crazy.
Of course it has, there's money to be made.

My thoughts on the fitting industry are not generally repeatable. Much the same as what passes for "coaches" and "mechanics" these days.

dim

by dim

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:16 pm
tarmackev wrote:My two cents worth on bike fit....
If you had two cents for every bad “bike fit” you’d be a zillionaire. Agree with pretty much everything you said. There’s some very basic concepts to grasp, but it’s gotten pretty crazy.
it's become very accurate .... I've had the STT 3D motion capture bike fit .... it's very good and worth the £200 I paid

https://www.stt-systems.com/motion-anal ... ling-3dma/

http://primocycles.co.uk/2017/08/07/ris ... it-review/

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

addictR1

by addictR1

tarmackev wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:25 am

that's really awesome that you posted this as this totally cleared up my suspicion about bike fit. i was fitted by a well known local fitter that fitted pros, semi pro and even fitted my favorite comedian/actor Robin Williams (RIP). even one of our friend who's competes on a global triathlon swears by him. but when i went to him, i was fitted on my bike at his office. fit felt agreesive but was comfy. but when i started riding outdoors, everything changed. felt the saddle was too far nose down where i was sliding forward and too much pressure in my hands trying to support my body up. then within 2 wks of cycling, i pulled a ligement in my left knee putting me off my bike for 3 months. since then i though about finding another fitter, like retul system, but so expensive.

thus i've been riding around trying to adjust. i even adjusted on indoor trainer and you are damn right.. when you go outside.. it's totally different again. my floor is leveled and my bike is levelled, and using plumb line, flat board on my saddle to measure the tilt, it still not the same. since then i've been adjusting it little by little on the road when i bike alone.. trying for that sweet spot. i think i'm almost there with my TMR02.

but thank you so much for sharing your opinion. that's very valuable for me! kudos to you~~

mag

by mag

I tried that Pedal Force Bike Fit tool just for fun and just based on my case it suggests a little (1-2cm) small setup. Frame size is about right, but mostly stem & seatpost lengths are way too short.
The Competitive Cyclist tool, while it worked for me (I'm also from the EU where they redirect us elsewhere due to the GDPR) was more spot on.
But both seem to suggest the frame size which is about right, so they can be used for some initial guidance.

By the way, there's also this:
https://www.jensonusa.com/bike-fit-calculator
And it gives me really weird results such as some insanely long top tube & short stem...

My personal experience with bike fitting is limited to one case and I wasn't very satisfied with how the fitter worked. I guess there are some good ones but they're very scarce. If you can get the frame size right I too think it's often better to experiment with the fit yourself.

claus

by claus

Take a look at
https://www.wrenchscience.com/
maybe it works for you.

otoman

by otoman

tarmackev wrote:My two cents worth on bike fit.

So much truth here. Thanks for the post.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Matthe

by Matthe

This image might be helpful
Attachments
bike guide.png

addictR1

by addictR1

Matthe wrote:This image might be helpful
I’m 5’7 and 52cm is too big for me. Like on BMC, I ride a 48cm.. so it varies by Mfg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Indoor and outdoor riding are totally different indeed!
My road bike is just perfect outside and so much inconfortable etc...on my home trainer.

mattr

by mattr

Matthe wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 am
This image might be helpful
Nope......

;)

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Setting my own saddle position is fine and dandy, but there are things I'd rather leave to experienced fitters like having custom orthotics made and making the necessary adjustments to get rid of varus/vagus instability.