Road short cage RD with a 9-46t cassette!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'd still be going with the XX mech if you go the smaller casette too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Lose the suspension fork and save 1kg.

Use a 9-32t cassette and a smaller chainring and lose 100+ gr.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

alcatraz wrote: Use a 9-32t cassette and a smaller chainring and lose 100+ gr.
Would loose on top speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

bm0p700f wrote:Again I said nothing about your drivetrains wearing faster. I have said wear will likely result in iffy shifting sooner. That's the third time I have stated the same thing. I don't mind folk disagreeing with me but missquoting a clearly worded statement, is another thing.

Too heavy well tune it that's what weight denies is about.
Wear on any groupset may result in poor shifting.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Nefarious86 wrote:I'd still be going with the XX mech if you go the smaller casette too.

Yesterday I shaved over 3min on my PR in the mountain near my house, it’s a 30min climb riding hard of course, not a single miss shift.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The stronger you become the less you'll need big cogs.

When you start miss shift half the gears just to clear the one largest cog, you're going to wanna downsize.

Have two chainrings. One for hillier riding and one for flatter. Also a nice way to ride 1x everywhere. (Obviously I mean swapping before the ride.)

Marin

by Marin

I'm also running a 9-46, but with a Force 1 derailleur. I bought a used cassette, and wear on the smallest cogs is an issue - you want 180° of chain wrap there.

I'm using a R2C 11s TT shifter mounted at the bar end on my setup, works really well.

Chain wrap is better currently after some tweaking.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Marin wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 am
I'm also running a 9-46, but with a Force 1 derailleur. I bought a used cassette, and wear on the smallest cogs is an issue - you want 180° of chain wrap there.

I'm using a R2C 11s TT shifter mounted at the bar end on my setup, works really well.

Is that a 32T narrow wide front cog? I was thinking about doing something similar on my commuter/gravel/bikepacker. Was thinking about 36T.
Nice bike. :thumbup:

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Marin wrote:I'm also running a 9-46, but with a Force 1 derailleur. I bought a used cassette, and wear on the smallest cogs is an issue - you want 180° of chain wrap there.

That’s a very similar setup! Including the R2C...cool combo.

By looking at the picture with the RD on the 9t, that distance with the upper pulley doesn’t look shorter that with my Sram Red, it would be interesting to measure it.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:46 pm
WinterRider wrote:
petromyzon wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:13 pm
I suppose the good news is that the trigger shifter looks fantastic bolted to your stem like that.

YES indeed... practical solution that works for the guy. :beerchug: Image

GUESS.. one wonders. WHY the people above paying the freight here .. bother. The ones advertising.. for sure posters like andreszucs buy products.. don't we all. But.. someone posts a quirk on the "pro" thread and the flyswatter drops... :noidea:

WALLET WEENIES... the home of keyboard queens.

Ride more.
You do know that no-one is forcing you to sit here and be a keyboard idiot right, no-one was advertising anything. People were offering solutions that would offer a greater level of compatibility, isn't that the idea here? Sharing knowledge and experience based on the information at hand...

As for the pro thread if you have such a problem with it how about message myself or another mood and talk about it rather than posting barely literate rants.

:popcorn:

Whew.... :noidea:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:46 pm
WinterRider wrote:
petromyzon wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:13 pm
I suppose the good news is that the trigger shifter looks fantastic bolted to your stem like that.

YES indeed... practical solution that works for the guy. :beerchug: Image

GUESS.. one wonders. WHY the people above paying the freight here .. bother. The ones advertising.. for sure posters like andreszucs buy products.. don't we all. But.. someone posts a quirk on the "pro" thread and the flyswatter drops... :noidea:

WALLET WEENIES... the home of keyboard queens.

Ride more.
You do know that no-one is forcing you to sit here and be a keyboard idiot right, no-one was advertising anything. People were offering solutions that would offer a greater level of compatibility, isn't that the idea here? Sharing knowledge and experience based on the information at hand...

As for the pro thread if you have such a problem with it how about message myself or another mood and talk about it rather than posting barely literate rants.

:popcorn:
Last edited by WinterRider on Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Dude, this bike looks awesome!

Thanks for doing something different rather than just mindlessly blowing hundreds of $$ like a lot of people in this thread would rather see you do.

This thread will always be way more interesting and useful than someone bolting on a $400 carbon derailleur and taking 10 pictures of it with an SLR.

Also, why people who haven't done this particular setup find themselves more qualified than you to speak of its efficiency is beyond me......

Keep up the good work :thumbup:
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

andreszucs wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm
Marin wrote:I'm also running a 9-46, but with a Force 1 derailleur. I bought a used cassette, and wear on the smallest cogs is an issue - you want 180° of chain wrap there.

Very nice bike! that’s a very similar setup! Including the R2C...cool combo.

By looking at the picture with the RD on the 9t, that distance with the upper pulley doesn’t look shorter that with my Sram Red, it would be interesting to measure it.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

For those of you pointing out chain wrap as something potencially compromised with this setup. I just checked something here: putting the chain on the 12T so I can better see what's happening, the chain is engaging 5 teeth (dividing the tension between 5 teeth). Now looking at my XC MTB, same 9-46T cassette but with a Sram XX1 RD (no Derailleur Hanger extension), shifted to the 12T, counted the same 5 Teeth engaging. This can answer the theoretical concern on faster wear by using the Sran Red short cage far back the way I'm testing. The answer: It should not wear faster.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com