Bar Tape Recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coresare

by coresare

Hi. I was using Lizard Skin DSP bar tape and now use Supacaz super sticky kush bar tape. I like the "sticky" thicker types. These tapes tend to be heavier.

I was thinking since my hands are on the hoods 70% of the time and on the corner grip 15% of the time that it might be a better choice to put that Fizik bar gel pad at the corner grip part up to the base of the shifters and use a light weight bar tape on the rest of the bar to save weight and maintain comfort.

Recommendations / thoughts?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

warp

by warp

Lizard Skins DSP comes in a thin 1.8mm thickness.

You may not spend much time on the drops, but putting a thinner tape there may make feel the drops even more alien or discomforting, something to think about...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dricked

by dricked

I’m really liking the cinelli cork tape. Comfortable and light.

Orbital

by Orbital

I’m running the Cinelli kaleido tape. Love it. However, I have aero bars wrapped to the hoods. I’m planning on re wrapping the bars since I use the tops while climbing and have no tape there now. Is there such a thing as tape that starts off thick for the drops and hoods but thins out for the tops?

coresare

by coresare

I bought that Fizik gel pad thing. I'll just use a little right behind the hood and use the Lizard skin 1.8 on the rest. I'll weigh both setups and report back in about 2 weeks when my new handlebar arrives.

robeambro

by robeambro

All of this just to save a few grams? Jeez, just use the comfortable tape...

mendiz

by mendiz

Weight weenies is this, find maximum quality with less weight . I have right now Bontrager Supertack in second bike, weighs 69 grams before installing. Very grippy, I like it. I will try Lizard Skins 1.8 in first bike.
robeambro wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:44 am
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

robeambro

by robeambro

mendiz wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:30 am
Weight weenies is this, find maximum quality with less weight . I have right now Bontrager Supertack in second bike, weighs 69 grams before installing. Very grippy, I like it. I will try Lizard Skins 1.8 in first bike.
robeambro wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:44 am
Sure, you call it WW if it makes you feel better

cerro

by cerro

Got Fizik Vento bartape for my gravelbike now. Sticky, really comfortable and light as it's quiet thin. If more you need more comfort, gloves can be an option (not adding any weight on the bike) :)

jih

by jih

Orbital wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:48 am
Is there such a thing as tape that starts off thick for the drops and hoods but thins out for the tops?
Wrap it with plenty of overlap at the drops and then just barely overlapping at the tops

jih

by jih

Double post

coresare

by coresare

I'm all about comfort. You do realize there is no bar tape under the shifter hood where most ppl spend most of their time. I mentioned putting that gel pad at the corner also. I usually wear unpadded gloves also.

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Fizik vento Microtex tacky. Thin, light, grippiest I’ve used. No gel pads needed.

Orbital wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:48 am
I’m running the Cinelli kaleido tape. Love it. However, I have aero bars wrapped to the hoods. I’m planning on re wrapping the bars since I use the tops while climbing and have no tape there now. Is there such a thing as tape that starts off thick for the drops and hoods but thins out for the tops?
All you have to do is vary how much you overlap. 1/2 for thick, 1/4-1/3 or less for thin.

Orbital

by Orbital

Thanks for the tips guys. Will try that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com