Factor O2 VAM

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moyboy

by moyboy

Do another WW build and blog it on the FWB site! :D
madcow wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:21 pm
My VAM is suppose to be with me in 1-2 weeks. I'll make sure to put it on the scale before building.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Djakninn wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:17 pm
Leviathan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:26 pm
Just bought one (the now “old” O2 disc) from the UK on close out. Worked out at 2700€ Which including ceramic speed bottom bracket, integrated bars, seatpost and (I think!) bar tape I’m pretty happy with. Will even put up with the “one more lap” Miller colourscheme for that price
I picked up the same frameset. What weight is your frame coming in at? Mine is a bit heavier than expected at approx. 940g for a 52cm, but i'm wondering if it is down to the paint job on it or if my scales are off, although, forks and all the other lighter bits seem to be similar to what I've seen???
In farct Hargroves totally messed me around but I was able t get a Burnt Orange one. Mine is 930gr in a 56cm but I also cant really guarantee my scales acuracy to less than +/-10g...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

I can confirm it's as advertised... 52cm disc frameset weighs ~690 grams. :beerchug:

Once it's built I'll post pictures this weekend.

corky

by corky

moyboy wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:39 pm
I can confirm it's as advertised... 52cm disc frameset weighs ~690 grams. :beerchug:

Once it's built I'll post pictures this weekend.
Looking forward to seeing it as it’s currently top of my list of wants 😀

Djakninn

by Djakninn

Leviathan wrote:
Djakninn wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:17 pm
Leviathan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:26 pm
Just bought one (the now “old” O2 disc) from the UK on close out. Worked out at 2700€ Which including ceramic speed bottom bracket, integrated bars, seatpost and (I think!) bar tape I’m pretty happy with. Will even put up with the “one more lap” Miller colourscheme for that price
I picked up the same frameset. What weight is your frame coming in at? Mine is a bit heavier than expected at approx. 940g for a 52cm, but i'm wondering if it is down to the paint job on it or if my scales are off, although, forks and all the other lighter bits seem to be similar to what I've seen???
In farct Hargroves totally messed me around but I was able t get a Burnt Orange one. Mine is 930gr in a 56cm but I also cant really guarantee my scales acuracy to less than +/-10g...
What happened with Hargroves? Seemed like it worked out well getting the orange. My scales seem correct. Recently got my wheelset which weighed in slightly lighter than advertised, so my 940g is correct. Thankfully the wheelset will keep things down. As long as it's as stiff as claimed i can't complain.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Esentially Hargroves took my order and my money saying the product was in stock, then two days later said they were consulting with the wholesaler and then finally cancelled my order after I think 4 workign days,, leaving me 200€out of pocket due to credit card commissions and Euro/Pound exchange rate fluctuations ( I guess). Not a happy bunny...Luckly I was able to source this one for a great deal, and I prefer this colour...I think Im gonna go with the Hunt 30mm carbon wheels, what aboout you?

moyboy

by moyboy

Quick update.
Picking up the bike tomorrow.
Shop says it's built with it weighing with heavy dura ace pedals Sub 14 lbs / 6.3 kg for a 52cm VAM Disc :beerchug:
with:
THM Ulna handlebar
Extralite stem
mcfk 35 wheels with extralite spd2 hubs
Full Red Etap AXS 2x with quarq PM
Berk Lapina Saddle oval rails
Stock seat post (to be upgraded late to a MCFK one)
Silca Piloti bar tape
Carbonwork.de cages
Dura Ace 9100 pedals (to be upgraded to Look Keo Ti)

I should have it at ~13.5 lbs soon....

Pictures when I get the bike tomorrow.

Kudos to MadCow at Fairwheel bikes for supplying me with some of the parts from past builds and this one along with great advice!

I might keep that decal on the top tube.... :roll:
Attachments
IMG_9720.jpg

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ sounds nice...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Leviathan

by Leviathan

moyboy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:35 am
Quick update.
Do post pics and a ride review. Funnily enough I was talking to a German custom frame builder here in Mallorca who said the reason why they didnt make their frames less than 850g was specifically to make them strong eenough for riders to rest on the top-tube..

Djakninn

by Djakninn

Leviathan wrote:Esentially Hargroves took my order and my money saying the product was in stock, then two days later said they were consulting with the wholesaler and then finally cancelled my order after I think 4 workign days,, leaving me 200€out of pocket due to credit card commissions and Euro/Pound exchange rate fluctuations ( I guess). Not a happy bunny...Luckly I was able to source this one for a great deal, and I prefer this colour...I think Im gonna go with the Hunt 30mm carbon wheels, what aboout you?
That totally sucks on the losing money part. Does the CC issuer not cover for things like this?
The orange colour is nice. I must say the paint finish/quality is really nice.
I've taken a punt on Caden 38mm wheels. They're coming in at 1077g. Also, sold the Ceramicspeed BB and swapped with a Hambini unit.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

Yes. Pics and ride report pls.
moyboy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:35 am
Quick update.
Shop says it's built with it weighing with heavy dura ace pedals Sub 14 lbs / 6.3 kg for a 52cm VAM Disc :beerchug:
with:
THM Ulna handlebar
Extralite stem
mcfk 35 wheels with extralite spd2 hubs
Full Red Etap AXS 2x with quarq PM
Berk Lapina Saddle oval rails
Stock seat post (to be upgraded late to a MCFK one)
Silca Piloti bar tape
Carbonwork.de cages
Dura Ace 9100 pedals (to be upgraded to Look Keo Ti)

I should have it at ~13.5 lbs soon....

Pictures when I get the bike tomorrow.

Kudos to MadCow at Fairwheel bikes for supplying me with some of the parts from past builds and this one along with great advice!

I might keep that decal on the top tube.... :roll:
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

moyboy

by moyboy

So I took it out for a spin for a 75km ride.

First impressions, it surges and acceleration is great.
Handling is very snappy and agile and when you lay down the power the transfer is great.

On the climbs that I usually aim to do well on, I did 3 short ones and got PRs on all of them.
Delivering power on climbs is great and efficient.

I think it's a keeper.

Here is a photo of the build so far. Some upgrades have been ordered. (ie. seatpost / pedals / etc...).
Attachments
IMG-9701.JPG

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

everything looks good except for the headset cap.. it does not flow with the rest of the bike ? what were they thinking.
The top 1/4 of the seatpost is kinda off to me too.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Imaking20

by Imaking20

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:19 pm
Personally, I'm excited about what I hope this accomplishment from Factor means for future models from the big brands. If companies like Specialized, Trek, or Cervelo take their existing "climbing" disc bike, apply more aerodynamic refinement (or some in the case of Trek), drop a bunch of grams, add compliance, and increase tire size to 30mm (Trek and Specialized are already there), I'd potentially get one.
Factor is already there is well

Compliance on the O2 with 25s is fantastic - I'm expecting this to be like riding pillows.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Finally a properly (almost, given that headset cover) looking climbing disc bike! :thumbup:
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com