Factor O2 VAM

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
moyboy
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:19 am

by moyboy

Do another WW build and blog it on the FWB site! :D
madcow wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:21 pm
My VAM is suppose to be with me in 1-2 weeks. I'll make sure to put it on the scale before building.

User avatar
Leviathan
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Mallorca, Spain
Contact:

by Leviathan

Djakninn wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:17 pm
Leviathan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:26 pm
Just bought one (the now “old” O2 disc) from the UK on close out. Worked out at 2700€ Which including ceramic speed bottom bracket, integrated bars, seatpost and (I think!) bar tape I’m pretty happy with. Will even put up with the “one more lap” Miller colourscheme for that price
I picked up the same frameset. What weight is your frame coming in at? Mine is a bit heavier than expected at approx. 940g for a 52cm, but i'm wondering if it is down to the paint job on it or if my scales are off, although, forks and all the other lighter bits seem to be similar to what I've seen???
In farct Hargroves totally messed me around but I was able t get a Burnt Orange one. Mine is 930gr in a 56cm but I also cant really guarantee my scales acuracy to less than +/-10g...

by Weenie


moyboy
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:19 am

by moyboy

I can confirm it's as advertised... 52cm disc frameset weighs ~690 grams. :beerchug:

Once it's built I'll post pictures this weekend.

User avatar
corky
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:53 pm
Location: The Surrey Hills

by corky

moyboy wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:39 pm
I can confirm it's as advertised... 52cm disc frameset weighs ~690 grams. :beerchug:

Once it's built I'll post pictures this weekend.
Looking forward to seeing it as it’s currently top of my list of wants 😀

Djakninn
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:36 am

by Djakninn

Leviathan wrote:
Djakninn wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:17 pm
Leviathan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:26 pm
Just bought one (the now “old” O2 disc) from the UK on close out. Worked out at 2700€ Which including ceramic speed bottom bracket, integrated bars, seatpost and (I think!) bar tape I’m pretty happy with. Will even put up with the “one more lap” Miller colourscheme for that price
I picked up the same frameset. What weight is your frame coming in at? Mine is a bit heavier than expected at approx. 940g for a 52cm, but i'm wondering if it is down to the paint job on it or if my scales are off, although, forks and all the other lighter bits seem to be similar to what I've seen???
In farct Hargroves totally messed me around but I was able t get a Burnt Orange one. Mine is 930gr in a 56cm but I also cant really guarantee my scales acuracy to less than +/-10g...
What happened with Hargroves? Seemed like it worked out well getting the orange. My scales seem correct. Recently got my wheelset which weighed in slightly lighter than advertised, so my 940g is correct. Thankfully the wheelset will keep things down. As long as it's as stiff as claimed i can't complain.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Leviathan
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Mallorca, Spain
Contact:

by Leviathan

Esentially Hargroves took my order and my money saying the product was in stock, then two days later said they were consulting with the wholesaler and then finally cancelled my order after I think 4 workign days,, leaving me 200€out of pocket due to credit card commissions and Euro/Pound exchange rate fluctuations ( I guess). Not a happy bunny...Luckly I was able to source this one for a great deal, and I prefer this colour...I think Im gonna go with the Hunt 30mm carbon wheels, what aboout you?

moyboy
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:19 am

by moyboy

Quick update.
Picking up the bike tomorrow.
Shop says it's built with it weighing with heavy dura ace pedals Sub 14 lbs / 6.3 kg for a 52cm VAM Disc :beerchug:
with:
THM Ulna handlebar
Extralite stem
mcfk 35 wheels with extralite spd2 hubs
Full Red Etap AXS 2x with quarq PM
Berk Lapina Saddle oval rails
Stock seat post (to be upgraded late to a MCFK one)
Silca Piloti bar tape
Carbonwork.de cages
Dura Ace 9100 pedals (to be upgraded to Look Keo Ti)

I should have it at ~13.5 lbs soon....

Pictures when I get the bike tomorrow.

Kudos to MadCow at Fairwheel bikes for supplying me with some of the parts from past builds and this one along with great advice!

I might keep that decal on the top tube.... :roll:
Attachments
IMG_9720.jpg

spdntrxi
Posts: 3121
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

^ sounds nice...

User avatar
Leviathan
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Mallorca, Spain
Contact:

by Leviathan

moyboy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:35 am
Quick update.
Picking up the bike tomorrow.
Do post pics and a ride review. Funnily enough I was talking to a German custom frame builder here in Mallorca who said the reason why they didnt make their frames less than 850g was specifically to make them strong eenough for riders to rest on the top-tube..

Djakninn
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:36 am

by Djakninn

Leviathan wrote:Esentially Hargroves took my order and my money saying the product was in stock, then two days later said they were consulting with the wholesaler and then finally cancelled my order after I think 4 workign days,, leaving me 200€out of pocket due to credit card commissions and Euro/Pound exchange rate fluctuations ( I guess). Not a happy bunny...Luckly I was able to source this one for a great deal, and I prefer this colour...I think Im gonna go with the Hunt 30mm carbon wheels, what aboout you?
That totally sucks on the losing money part. Does the CC issuer not cover for things like this?
The orange colour is nice. I must say the paint finish/quality is really nice.
I've taken a punt on Caden 38mm wheels. They're coming in at 1077g. Also, sold the Ceramicspeed BB and swapped with a Hambini unit.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


kode54
Posts: 1618
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

by kode54

Yes. Pics and ride report pls.
moyboy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:35 am
Quick update.
Picking up the bike tomorrow.
Shop says it's built with it weighing with heavy dura ace pedals Sub 14 lbs / 6.3 kg for a 52cm VAM Disc :beerchug:
with:
THM Ulna handlebar
Extralite stem
mcfk 35 wheels with extralite spd2 hubs
Full Red Etap AXS 2x with quarq PM
Berk Lapina Saddle oval rails
Stock seat post (to be upgraded late to a MCFK one)
Silca Piloti bar tape
Carbonwork.de cages
Dura Ace 9100 pedals (to be upgraded to Look Keo Ti)

I should have it at ~13.5 lbs soon....

Pictures when I get the bike tomorrow.

Kudos to MadCow at Fairwheel bikes for supplying me with some of the parts from past builds and this one along with great advice!

I might keep that decal on the top tube.... :roll:
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

moyboy
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:19 am

by moyboy

So I took it out for a spin for a 75km ride.

First impressions, it surges and acceleration is great.
Handling is very snappy and agile and when you lay down the power the transfer is great.

On the climbs that I usually aim to do well on, I did 3 short ones and got PRs on all of them.
Delivering power on climbs is great and efficient.

I think it's a keeper.

Here is a photo of the build so far. Some upgrades have been ordered. (ie. seatpost / pedals / etc...).
Attachments
IMG-9701.JPG

spdntrxi
Posts: 3121
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

everything looks good except for the headset cap.. it does not flow with the rest of the bike ? what were they thinking.
The top 1/4 of the seatpost is kinda off to me too.

Imaking20
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am

by Imaking20

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:19 pm
Personally, I'm excited about what I hope this accomplishment from Factor means for future models from the big brands. If companies like Specialized, Trek, or Cervelo take their existing "climbing" disc bike, apply more aerodynamic refinement (or some in the case of Trek), drop a bunch of grams, add compliance, and increase tire size to 30mm (Trek and Specialized are already there), I'd potentially get one.
Factor is already there is well

Image

Compliance on the O2 with 25s is fantastic - I'm expecting this to be like riding pillows.
Current:
Acid Minty

Retired:
Wilier Wonka | The Dentist | The Bucket List | Specialissima | Evo | T2 | Blue | Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 | S-Works Tarmac SL4| S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento1 SL | Tarmac SL2

mrlobber
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:36 am
Location: Where the permanent autumn is

by mrlobber

Finally a properly (almost, given that headset cover) looking climbing disc bike! :thumbup:
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post