New Bike for New Home

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coleofcali

by coleofcali

Longtime lurker first time poster.

I am moving to Munich Germany from San Francisco California in September for work. I have lived in sunny California my whole life, so this will be a big change on pretty much every level. Naturally, I am wondering what bike I should get for this new chapter of my life (since it's obviously the most important question to answer right now).

Background
Very competitive cat 2 bike racer. I flourish on climbs due to being naturally light, but I have become relatively adept at racing in most amatuer racing conditions (bad to nonexistent roads, rainy descents full gas, etc.). I enjoy crits, but I am not great at them due to an innate fear of bunch sprinting that I am continually working through. I've won most of my races from sprinting from small groups on hilly races, but I've also gotten lucky once or twice and just rode away from the field on a flat day.

Winter Training habits
When I move to Munich, in the winter I would like to try some track riding so would have a separate bike for that (I hear there's a velodrome in Munich). I can also get into cross country skiing (I already do downhill skiing but the training benefit of that is questionable). I plan to have a good trainer setup. That being said, I want a bike I can ride throughout the year since being stuck inside is going to be really hard for me. Eventually, I'll probably get a mountain bike for serious off road stuff, but I'm also not afraid to take my road bike down some light dirt/gravel full speed.

Current setup
I'm currently riding a 2018 Giant TCR Pro 1 rim brake size ML. With climbing wheels it's at 7.1kg and with Hed Jet 6+ it's around 7.4kg (ready to race, no bottles or computer). I will probably move up a size in frame to a 58/L bike when I upgrade.
Handlebar stack: 650
Handlebar reach: 500

The disc brake conundrum
After recently racing in the rain with my aluminum tracked Heds, I didn't feel the need for disc brakes...but I could also see the benefit. I also tend to get some brake rub during race intensity accelerations (usually on steep grades, but not always) due to a combination of liking snappy braking (pads close to rim) and throwing my bike everywhere to try and make the move. I feel like disc brake wheels would be stiffer since more spokes and maybe less chance of contacting pads and costing me some watts (I need all the watts). However, there's some good deals on rim brake frames that are hard to pass up. Additionally, disc bikes are where the industry is headed and I want my bike to stay relevent for a long time.

Then of course comes the 11/12 speed thing. Shimano will probably go 12 speed next Dura Ace iteration so I don't want to buy something that's going to be a pain in the ass in a year (e.g. need for 12 speed specific freehubs like what happened to most 10 speed wheels that became obsolote). I would like electronic shifting and something reasonably aero and light. It also needs to travel well (flights back to the states, for example).

My budget is under $8k. What bikes should I be considering? I'm a cat 3 mechanic and can build up a frame if that's a better solution.

Thanks for your wisdom, fellow weenies.

robeambro

by robeambro

Re: 12sp, I’m sure you can survive with 11, even if Shimano goes to 12, I doubt it’ll trickle down to Ultegra and 105 quickly, so wheels will be available for the foreseeable future. And by the time obsolescence happens, we might be talking about 13sp.

Disc sounds sensible. Since you’re a mechanic, the potential extra maintenance required won’t be a problem, and your sprinting feeling may enjoy having thru axles.

Not sure how windy California is and how hilly your rides are, but I would not exceed 50mm depth for your wheels if you want an all round bike that can tackle mountains and winds.

Tarmac Pro? You can pick it with Force AXS if you want 12sp anyway. The new SuperSix is coming, probably will be available by the time you move or shortly after. There’s not been many “reasonably aero, reasonably light” bikes released lately. But to be honest from Tour test data the TCR is possibly the worst frame ever when it comes to aerodynamics so I don’t think you’ll struggle.

Otherwise, you can celebrate your new German life by getting a Rose X-Lite 6 or a Canyon Ultimate. But these are relatively old models, and I seem to understand that you want a “relevant” bike.

I would direct part of your budget towards a good psychologist who will help coping with the traumatic experience of going from California to Central/Northern European weather :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmp

by dmp

It's not bike advice, but a winter sport you might like that is really big in Europe is randonnee racing. If you are a skier (and light and fit) its a natural for you. It will give you the aerobic workout of nordic skiing with the downhill.

coleofcali

by coleofcali

dmp wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:03 pm
It's not bike advice, but a winter sport you might like that is really big in Europe is randonnee racing. If you are a skier (and light and fit) its a natural for you. It will give you the aerobic workout of nordic skiing with the downhill.
Yea I really want to get into that. Looks super fun.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

robeambro wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:36 pm
Re: 12sp, I’m sure you can survive with 11, even if Shimano goes to 12, I doubt it’ll trickle down to Ultegra and 105 quickly, so wheels will be available for the foreseeable future. And by the time obsolescence happens, we might be talking about 13sp.

Disc sounds sensible. Since you’re a mechanic, the potential extra maintenance required won’t be a problem, and your sprinting feeling may enjoy having thru axles.

Not sure how windy California is and how hilly your rides are, but I would not exceed 50mm depth for your wheels if you want an all round bike that can tackle mountains and winds.

Tarmac Pro? You can pick it with Force AXS if you want 12sp anyway. The new SuperSix is coming, probably will be available by the time you move or shortly after. There’s not been many “reasonably aero, reasonably light” bikes released lately. But to be honest from Tour test data the TCR is possibly the worst frame ever when it comes to aerodynamics so I don’t think you’ll struggle.

Otherwise, you can celebrate your new German life by getting a Rose X-Lite 6 or a Canyon Ultimate. But these are relatively old models, and I seem to understand that you want a “relevant” bike.

I would direct part of your budget towards a good psychologist who will help coping with the traumatic experience of going from California to Central/Northern European weather :mrgreen:
He shouldn't need a Psychologist as he'll trade crappy summer weather to a crappy winter version(the Autobahn should alleviate the stress... or may exasperate it).
Last edited by tabl10s on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

robeambro

by robeambro

tabl10s wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:47 am
robeambro wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:36 pm

He shouldn't need a Psychologist as he'll crappy summer weather to a crappy winter version(the Autobahn should alleviate the stress... or may exasperate it).
If he cycles on it, no doubt he might get a bit stressed :mrgreen:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Canyon seems like the natural choice.
Good luck with the move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I’d say keep your current bike, buy yourself a nice smart trainer and a crappy bike that fits you well for it, and embrace the winters. Not as fun as they seem from a distance coming from California!!

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Don't forget Munich is just a stone's through from the Austrian border. I'd be a hardcore winter skiier and a hardcore Alpine rider in the summer. Start learning German! :-) I think for many cyclists downhill resort skiing can be a bit yuk, becuse of the ugly ski-lifts and not earning your way up the mountain, try cross country skiing or off piste free skiing.
You don't need to get a Canyon just because they are German, all the Euro makers and normal Taiwan and American bicycles are available. Get a climbing bike with lots of gears, your current bike seems perfect, spend your money on off piste skis, skins and sub aero mountain clothing.

AJS914

by AJS914

I was born and raised in California and lived there all my life until a few years ago when we moved to Spokane, WA. (I see that Munich temps look similar.)

I embraced winter riding by getting a cross bike which I turned into a gravel bike. When the roads were clear from fall to spring I rode the gravel bike with 40mm tires. It felt a lot safer than skinny tires with lots of slippery leaves on the roads and patches of ice and slush here and there. I had to buy several new pieces of winter clothing and do things like use toe warmers. It was a lot of fun though and left me with some good memories.

morrisond

by morrisond

If you like snappy braking and want 12sp and disc - the only solution you should seriously be considering is Campagnolo. There Disc brakes are far and above better than anyone else's. They almost feel like good rim brakes in terms of how far the lever moves before they start to bite.

They are fantastic.

If you are building a year round bike - you will like the extra versatility in a frame that can take fenders and have space for bigger tires that disc brakes allow.

And I'll second those above - keep your exisiting Bike for sunny days and build another bike for Winter/Wet/Gravel. Potenza HO is a great group for that or new Chorus 12sp Disc.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Looks like Munich winters are similiar to the ones I ride through here in Ontario, Canada. Riding the outdoors in winter can be okay if you have proper winter gear and a cross bike with fenders. If your dealing with roads that get salted you may want something that is a bit of a beater bike that is in good working order but you dont mind getting slop,salt and mud on it. I normally run a good set of CX tires with good grip especially on the front. The rear wont need much for knobs as I run a hard pack CX tire for that. Good winter cycling boots are a must if your going our below -1C. I always seek out sheltered areas to keep the wind chill to a minimum. Some sort of Windstopper on your bib tights is a good ideal as well.
Riding in the snow gives you some good bike handling skills as well so dont be afraid and embrace the winter cause no one wants to ride the trainer all winter long well at least not me anyway.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

XCProMD

by XCProMD

morrisond wrote:If you like snappy braking and want 12sp and disc - the only solution you should seriously be considering is Campagnolo. There Disc brakes are far and above better than anyone else's. They almost feel like good rim brakes in terms of how far the lever moves before they start to bite.

They are fantastic.

If you are building a year round bike - you will like the extra versatility in a frame that can take fenders and have space for bigger tires that disc brakes allow.

And I'll second those above - keep your exisiting Bike for sunny days and build another bike for Winter/Wet/Gravel. Potenza HO is a great group for that or new Chorus 12sp Disc.
Also, Campag’s 12s systems have the sort of range needed in the Alps without the gear jumps that can be so annoying when riding the flats close to München. Easy to find support for Campag in Bayern.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

morrisond

by morrisond

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 am
Looks like Munich winters are similiar to the ones I ride through here in Ontario, Canada. Riding the outdoors in winter can be okay if you have proper winter gear and a cross bike with fenders. If your dealing with roads that get salted you may want something that is a bit of a beater bike that is in good working order but you dont mind getting slop,salt and mud on it. I normally run a good set of CX tires with good grip especially on the front. The rear wont need much for knobs as I run a hard pack CX tire for that. Good winter cycling boots are a must if your going our below -1C. I always seek out sheltered areas to keep the wind chill to a minimum. Some sort of Windstopper on your bib tights is a good ideal as well.
Riding in the snow gives you some good bike handling skills as well so dont be afraid and embrace the winter cause no one wants to ride the trainer all winter long well at least not me anyway.
If you want a really good Winter Tire (I live in Southern Ontario and ride all winter as well) - look at Conti Winter Contact II's - they are siped live Winter Car tires - awesome in the snow and if you hit any ice!

Here are some pics of my last ride in Ontario this winter in snow with those tires and fenders.
winterbike.jpg
winterroad.jpg
Two days later in Hawaii same bike no Fenders and Compass 38mm Slicks - Gravel bikes are Awesome!
Attachments
hawaiicoffeeplace.jpg
mauicoastalroad.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com