Sidi Shot do they stretch?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ico

by ico

Hi,

my foot si 27,2mm long and according to size chart I'm between 44 and 45, because as far as I know half sizes (up) share the same sole, only the upper should be roomier. I had a chance to try them in size 44 and they felt tight and I can feel my finger touching toe box. I had mtb Sidi shoes few years ago in size 44, but they were made in leather upper so they naturally loosen a bit. For refference, my current shoes are S-woks6 in size 43,5. Do you guys think that Shots will stretch out too? Thanks for your advice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I would go for 44.5 or 45, certainly not 44.
I have a slightly longer foot (27,4) and I went for size 45 for my Sidi wire. You will probably replace the Sidi footbeds with something more substantial and anatomic (I did) so the fit will be fine.

chorus88

by chorus88

ico wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:00 am
Hi,

my foot si 27,2mm long and according to size chart I'm between 44 and 45, because as far as I know half sizes (up) share the same sole, only the upper should be roomier. I had a chance to try them in size 44 and they felt tight and I can feel my finger touching toe box. I had mtb Sidi shoes few years ago in size 44, but they were made in leather upper so they naturally loosen a bit. For refference, my current shoes are S-woks6 in size 43,5. Do you guys think that Shots will stretch out too? Thanks for your advice.
I have a pair of Shot (40.5) & the 40.5 is larger compared to a size 40.
The uppers do not stretch.
Merlin UK has last years colors on sale.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Js2

by Js2

If it's already touching the toe box before even riding on them, you should upsize .5 to account for insoles + foot expansion. Sounds like 44.5 would be a good fit for you.

hypercycler

by hypercycler

I wear size 43.5 for my S Works 6 and 7 and I wear 44.5 for SIDI Shot. I don't think the SIDIs stretch much.

sychen

by sychen

6 months so far on my size 41 shots.. No stretch..

Edit...
On the topic of size..these are one whole size up from Lakes made with kangaroo leather. Now those stretched heaps plus super roomy toe box but nowhere near as comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by sychen on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

RussellS

by RussellS

No experience with Sidi shoes. But I do have experience with shoes that are too small. I bought some Pearl Izumi shoes. All plastic probably like the Sidi are. I bought 44. I can wear them. But they are tight and my toes touch the ends. They are not as comfortable over the day as my other properly fitting shoes. So I advise you to go up the half size.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

The Sidi Lorica will not stretch at all. Sidi full sizes increase by 6mm in length, and the half sizes go up ~3mm in length. I'm a 43.5-44 in Sidi and in my experience the sizing is very consistent in the top end models like the Ergo series, the Wire series and the Shot series in terms of length. The Wire and Shot have a bit more volume in the upper.

uraqt

by uraqt

Just to be that guy...

Sidi dosen't use Lorica any more. And from what I could find and my experince with old Lorica sidi shoes it does stretch. Sidi and the company that makes/made Lorica only said that it stretch less than leather and other synthetic leathers.

In my limited experince with the new sidi material "Microfibre Techpro Mesh" ( about 5,000 miles) it doens't stretch. However I don't think 5,000 miles is a full test and I am not 100% sure that it's not stretching just the right amout. I think that you want your shoes to stretch a little.. I 99% sure that your feet change of the course of 4 or 5 hours on the bike, wouldn't it be perfect if the shoe material stretch to match that change?

C

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

uraqt wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 pm
Just to be that guy...

Sidi dosen't use Lorica any more. And from what I could find and my experince with old Lorica sidi shoes it does stretch. Sidi and the company that makes/made Lorica only said that it stretch less than leather and other synthetic leathers.

In my limited experince with the new sidi material "Microfibre Techpro Mesh" ( about 5,000 miles) it doens't stretch. However I don't think 5,000 miles is a full test and I am not 100% sure that it's not stretching just the right amout. I think that you want your shoes to stretch a little.. I 99% sure that your feet change of the course of 4 or 5 hours on the bike, wouldn't it be perfect if the shoe material stretch to match that change?

C
So the latest material is called Microfibre Techpro. The "Mesh" part refers to the open mesh areas on the Shot.

https://sidi.com/en/products/cycling/sh ... shott-matt

The Wire 2 has no Mesh:

https://sidi.com/en/products/cycling/sh ... /wire-matt

Either way, both Microfibre and Lorica are synthetic and will not stretch significantly. I've been mostly in Sidi shoes since 1993 (probably over 300000 km in Sidi shoes alone) and living on coast in BC I've also ridden hours and hours in the rain and none of those Sidis have stretched out permanently. When they are soaking wet there might be a tiny bit of give, but after drying they are right back where they were.

ico

by ico

Hi.
Thanks for all your recommendations. After remeasuring I was getting cloeser to 27,5cm in foot length and went with size 45. I would say they are slightly on a bigger side, when comparing to what I was used to, but the heel doen't move at all at hard efforts, so I think they are not too big. Only the toebox is much roomier than I was used to with S-works (43,5) or older model SIDI (44) as I can wiggle my finger now. My initial feelings are that I am able to aply greater force with bigger sole. Time and miles will tell... but as a next step the original insoles must be changed. I tried Specialized insoles I have, but their Metatarsal button doesn'work somehow with SIDI shoe I think. I'm considering Superfeet, maybe Blue for their mid thickness as I have some room now?

uraqt

by uraqt

@Bigger Gear

So we are way off topic and I do sort of agree that the new material might not streach...

However...Lorica does stretch and it's signifcant or most companies would have kept using it. I'm not 100% sure but I think soccer shoes stopped using it first.

Show me a link from the company that makes Lorica that says it doesn't stretch. I'll save you the time you can't. In fact if you really look instead of just reading internet BS you will find that many people have had Lorica stretching issue.

If Lorica didn't stretch why did Sidi move to plastic for the instep closure? If you ride a Lorica sidi with the Lorica instep closure long enough you can stretch the instep closure until you can't get the buckle tight enough. (Then you put zip-ties between the ratchet strap and loop that holds the strap to take up the strap)

If Lorica didn't stretch, I have magic feet that shrink after the 1st 300-400 miles. Then my magic feet remember to re-shrink to that same size whenever I wear them again, and then expand back to normal when I wear my non sidi shoes.

C

PS I knew it was wrong when I cut and pasted "Microfibre Techpro Mesh" from their web site but that is what the web page said when I copied it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com