2020 disc road bike choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brearley

by brearley

Looking for some recommendations for a new disc bike for 2020 running dura ace hydro mechanical.

i'm looking for an aero frameset with fully internal cables to get that tidy looking front end.

ideally under £3k frameset

so far i've only really found:
Look 795 Blade RS disc
Cervelo S3 disc

which fit the bill but both are on the heavy side with proprietary heavy front end set ups and buying a 52cm frame i'd need to buy an additional stem to fit me.
i currently ride a 52cm scott addict with a 140mm stem

any other suggestions?

coldmirow

by coldmirow

Canyon Aeroad.
Not the newest frame, but still one of the fastest, lightest and easiest to live with

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

brearley wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:10 pm
which fit the bill but both are on the heavy side with proprietary heavy front end set ups and buying a 52cm frame i'd need to buy an additional stem to fit me.
i currently ride a 52cm scott addict with a 140mm stem
You're not going to find a 140mm stem for an integrated front end. The S3 in a 51 is going to end up 25mm shorter than you are now, and the Look 17mm shorter.

I'd be surprised if you find anything much closer to your current fit than the Look. To be fair that might not be a bad thing, on balance of probability you're likely to either be overstretched, too low or a combination of both.

brearley

by brearley

Fully understand that.
Most are available with 130mm stems and head tube length seems to be longer on most disc bikes too. I run deda Newton shallows so that takes up a bit of the reach

The aeroad wouldn't work as it's not fully integrated and I'm assuming there's a new one due at the tour.

I don't like the look or the weight of the cannondale system six either.

Is anybody using the new fsa acr system yet?

coldmirow

by coldmirow

brearley wrote:Fully understand that.
Most are available with 130mm stems and head tube length seems to be longer on most disc bikes too. I run deda Newton shallows so that takes up a bit of the reach

The aeroad wouldn't work as it's not fully integrated and I'm assuming there's a new one due at the tour.

I don't like the look or the weight of the cannondale system six either.

Is anybody using the new fsa acr system yet?

You’re right, aeroad is not fully integrated. I asked a friend working at Canyons R&D about a new one - he told me it’s gonna take some time, more like early 2020

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Wait until the Tour kicks off, should be a few new models from the usual suspects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

What’s the angle on your current 140mm stem? And what’s the reach on your bars?

A 52cm Madone SLR with the low stem (my 130mm says -13deg) and it’s integrated 93mm reach bars should be plenty long and low. It should be longer and lower than a 52cm Addict with a -6deg 140mm stem and typical bars in the 80mm reach range.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Is the venge pro complete not an option? The current generation of the venge is super long and low. The new Madone SL can be used with SLR integrated cockpit with the compatible top bearing cover AFAIK. That is sold only as a complete as well but its pricing is competitive. I can not think of any lightweight integrated cockpits at the top of my head, the weight comes in the territory. The Vision ACR system may be something to look into but I haven't seen anything on that after Eurobike 2018.

moyboy

by moyboy

Venge
Madone (SLR or SL)

With Mechanical, might be tough with the integrated stems, be sure to check if the routing will work. It should.

dcorn

by dcorn

I think a lot of the fully integrated systems are electronic/hydro only due to routing issues.

brearley

by brearley

I may reevaluate the hydro mechanical option and potentially swap to ultegra di2. The plan is to accumulate parts over the next few months and then make the frame purchase so there's not one massive expenditure.

The weight of the madone put me off ages ago. Venge could be an option if there are closeout deals at the end of the year, otherwise the frame set retails at 3700

Karvalo

by Karvalo

moyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Venge
Madone (SLR or SL)

With Mechanical, might be tough with the integrated stems, be sure to check if the routing will work. It should.
The Venge frameset (not just the stem) has no capacity for mechanical routing, the Madone does. Cervelo S3 and S5 can also route mechanically. SystemSix can but not with full cable integration.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com