Most accurate and reliable HR strap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I've had a few Garmin straps and a Decathlon strap, but most seem to crap out after a while. Anyone had any long term success with any particular brand or model?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Polar have always worked out the best for me.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

My Garmins always seem to have a limited lifespan. I have friends who've used the Wahoo Tickr for the same amount of time I've had two Garmins and they've run flawlessly.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Odd. I have a Garmin that must be 7-8 years old and still working fine. My 1 y.o Wahoo is beginning to give every sign of impending death!

Brynhildr

by Brynhildr

My Wahoo Tickr is great.

It also kinda pokes out of your chest like an alien chestburster >.>

dim

by dim

I switched from Garmin to Wahoo Tickr and am pleased
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

markdjr

by markdjr

Im a big fan of the Scosche Rhythm armbands, reviews deem them to be as accurate as a lot of heart rate straps and very reliable.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I found it's not the actual unit that stops working. It's the strap that changes in it's electrical properties after sweating washing drying it several times.

I learned a trick on how to revive a strap and theoretically get it to last many years.

When the readings start to be clearly wrong then try this. Get a pair of scissors and cut the strap just between the two snap buttons that connect to the unit. Cut it so that there is a 5-10mm gap between the ends of belt.

Done.

Tango

by Tango

Cateye HR-12 is working fine for me (Bluetooth).

Bogan

by Bogan

markdjr wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:31 am
Im a big fan of the Scosche Rhythm armbands, reviews deem them to be as accurate as a lot of heart rate straps and very reliable.
This. I have been using one for a few years now. Never missed, excuse the pun, a beat. Easy to set up and very reliable.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

zefs

by zefs

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:10 am
I found it's not the actual unit that stops working. It's the strap that changes in it's electrical properties after sweating washing drying it several times.

I learned a trick on how to revive a strap and theoretically get it to last many years.

When the readings start to be clearly wrong then try this. Get a pair of scissors and cut the strap just between the two snap buttons that connect to the unit. Cut it so that there is a 5-10mm gap between the ends of belt.

Done.
Do you have a photo of your strap? not sure what you mean exactly and how that helps.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Wahoo Tickr.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

zefs wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:14 am
alcatraz wrote:

Done.
Do you have a photo of your strap? not sure what you mean exactly and how that helps.
It helps to isolate the signal left/right. On an old strap it loses it's left/right isolation and the signal becomes weaker and weaker as the strap basically starts to short the buttons instead of allowing the signal to go through the body via the pads.

Maybe the residual salt that doesn't wash away just gets embedded and creates an electrical path where there shouldn't be one.
Attachments
IMG_20190602_175029.jpg
IMG_20190602_174947.jpg

zefs

by zefs

Ahh I see now, mine has some plastic parts embedded in the buttons so can't try this method. I have a Bontrager one and it seems to be loosing signal randomly.
Last edited by zefs on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:54 am
zefs wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:14 am
alcatraz wrote:

Done.
It helps to isolate the signal left/right. On an old strap it loses it's left/right isolation and the signal becomes weaker and weaker as the strap basically starts to short the buttons instead of allowing the signal to go through the body via the pads.

Maybe the residual salt that doesn't wash away just gets embedded and creates an electrical path where there shouldn't be one.
Thanks Alcatraz, I'll try that on an old Garmin strap to see if it fixes it. :thumbup: