etap hrd brake question

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Ok - new bike - etap HRD and it comes with the hoses routed through the handlebar. Of course, the bar is too wide and I need to switch to the bars I currently have. If I pull the hoses is there a way (or any tricks) to prevent losing fluid while getting them out of the bars to avoid have to do a brake bleed?
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Jugi

by Jugi

If your brake lines happen to have a Connectamagic fitting in them, then it’s a theoretical possibility to make the disconnect at that point. Those connections should be placed between the frame and the bars, to make the whole cockpit removable from the frame without a brake bleed. That’s a theoretical possibility because although the brake hose fits through the openings in your handlebar just find, most likely either of the Connectamagic fittings wont be able to fit through there.

If your brake lines don’t have such a disconnect feature, then you’re looking at heaps of hose re-routing and bleeding fun lasting at least a full afternoon!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I think eTAP HRD do use the Connectamajig fitting but it's in the levers, hidden under the hoods. But yeah, they might be too big for most bar's openings.

Miller

by Miller

Are you sure the bars are too big? Maybe you could get used to them? Lol

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Wow, it's amazing what this forum has become since I first joined. Just in case anyone was looking for helpful information, it was suggested (elsewhere) to try using a brake cable crimp or plastic wrap w/ a rubber band.
Speedplay is the devil!

Jugi

by Jugi

Yes, you could (and should) close an open brake hose before re-routing it through a frame or a bar if it is filled with brake fluid. It just makes the job easier (less of a mess) if pumping the hose empty after disconnecting isn’t an option. However, that doesn’t make a bleed unneccessary. The fluid volume of these brakes is so miniscule, even a small bubble of air can have a clear effect in performance. In my opinion - if you have to prepare for a brake bleed, you might as well perform it anyway.

Andres

by Andres

mdeth1313 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:09 pm
Wow, it's amazing what this forum has become since I first joined. Just in case anyone was looking for helpful information, it was suggested (elsewhere) to try using a brake cable crimp or plastic wrap w/ a rubber band.
I don't know if I would call that helpful information, all that will do is give you is some plastic wrap with DOT fluid on it. You can likely cut the hose (you'll need to if you're going to narrower bars anyway) and get away with installing a new barb & olive, and re-connecting it... but you should just go through the bleeding procedure anyway.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

FYI - no fluid. If I need to cut the hose (there wasn't that much slack to begin with), I'll deal with that when I have to. The connection at the shifter is sram's stealthamagig. You just disconnect, remove the hose from the bar and reconnect.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Andres

by Andres

mdeth1313 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:36 am
FYI - no fluid. If I need to cut the hose (there wasn't that much slack to begin with), I'll deal with that when I have to. The connection at the shifter is sram's stealthamagig. You just disconnect, remove the hose from the bar and reconnect.
Seems like you have it all figured out... if the line fits through the cable holes in the bar with the connector nut, then yeah, that's all you've got to do. If not, that's when the cutting comes in.