Cat piss cycling shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Is there a cure? After wet weather riding and drying my shoes have the dreaded cat piss smell.
Like a creaky BB it sometimes disappears but give it a little wet weather and boom “Cat Piss Shoes” are back.

Any suggestions that doesn’t involve burning them?

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Hello there - I have no advice to give but I am sitting in an airport lounge and you made me burst out laughing. Now some people are staring and giving me nasty looks.

Here’s to hoping others can help...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Did a cat piss on your shoes or just smell like that because they got wet/mildew smell?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Happened to me too years ago, then girlfriend's cat pissed in my mountain bike shoes, she offered to buy me a new pair... until she saw the price of the shoes so we gave it a go at trying washing them, I don't remember what we used, I think we tried clothing wash liquid, dishwashing liquid but after a couple of washes (long soak, working the soap in with stiff brush, rinse, dry, repeat), the smell eventually left for good. That was almost 10 years ago, I still have the shoes and they still smell fine, they outlasted the cat! :mrgreen: It might depend of the shoe material too, mine were made mostly of mesh, plastic-like material and padding inside.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

You can keep your shoes in a plastic bag, but really it depends on what is causing the smell, with some running shoes its the glue that holds them together. If it is the bacteria from your feet there are various odor sprays and powders. I think probably alternate shoes and actually put the shoes in a freezer overnight to kill the bacteria (inside a plastic bag). Do your feet smell?

mag

by mag

Piss on them yourself. Mark them as yours...

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

mag wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:09 pm
Piss on them yourself. Mark them as yours...
:mrgreen:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

they sale that liquid for rugs and such at pet stores... buy a bottle and soak
Last edited by spdntrxi on Fri May 31, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mag

by mag

Simple things such as vinegar, baking soda and perhaps citric acid should work too. Though if that smell comes from the glue I'm afraid they won't help much.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

What you really need to do is go to the nearest zoo and get some tiger piss. Put some on the exterior of your car and drive around your neighborhood. Then put a very small amount around the area where you keep your shoes. This will ensure that every living animal in the area will know there is a true Apex Predator around and they will all fall into line.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 5:40 pm
What you really need to do is go to the nearest zoo and get some tiger piss. Put some on the exterior of your car and drive around your neighborhood. Then put a very small amount around the area where you keep your shoes. This will ensure that every living animal in the area will know there is a true Apex Predator around and they will all fall into line.
just watch out for euro blondes and 8 irons
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Back to the original topic, I had a similar problem with my CX shoes (I wouldn't term them "cat piss" but seriously "funky"), and would suggest the following:

1. Remove the insoles and just wash those in your washing machine.
2. Spray the inside of the shoes, liberally, with some white vinegar. You're really just trying to kill as much of the bacteria as you can, which is what is causing the smell. Let the vinegar sit for a bit, then put the shoes under a strong fan to dry them. Repeat this at least twice (more, if necessary).
3. If you've done this and the smell remains, try diluting some detergent in water and spraying that into the shoes, letting them sit for a bit, then thoroughly washing it off with warm water, to get the soap out.
4. Once all of this is done, put the shoes to dry (under the fan, again), then use some OdorEaters and liberally coat the inside of the shoes. You can also use baking powder, as I've done in the past.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Have five, but one likes to piss on clothes. A different one F'd up my $275 leather Orthotics. Sprayed and washed three times and jacked up another pair when I washed them together.

Finally smell free.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

1415chris

by 1415chris

Boot bannana, nice scent, absorbs moisture, neutralises and prevents an odour. However didn't try with cat piss...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orbital

by Orbital

I had a cat that decided to use my hockey bag as a litter box. Figured it out while sitting on the bench between shifts. I ditched the gear and replaced it. Kind of related to the OP issue, to get the funk out of my hockey gear I soak it in regular laundry soap and rinse

Quite gross but this is after one season playing for 2 teams.