Factor 02 Disc real world reviews

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Leviathan

by Leviathan

Anyone with any real experience of the Factor O2 Disc - the few reviews out there suggest its very stiff: FWIW I have a Basso Diamante which has very similar geometry in the 56 and I love it, a Stevens Arcalis which Im a bit "meh" about, and my old bikes were Pinarello F8; too stiff but maybe it was unsersized for me in a 53cm, Time NXRS which was like a plank of wood, and one of the Old Canyon F8s which was a really good frame
Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Have both a Factor O2 disc and a Dogma F8 rim brake.

Love them both.

I’m my opinion Factor is stiffer and has better ride quality (more compliant). (However I have 28mm Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless on the Factor and 25mm Corsa tunes on the Dogma so it could be the tyres).

The Factor is quicker handling - a bit more twitchy. The F8 more stable.

As for disc vs rim I’d say this - do you need disc? No. Is it nicer? Yes.

If there is anything you want to know let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

I'm probably the worse person to ask if a bike is stiffer than another.

But my Factor 02 disc is nice. The one thing about the frame that I wasn't used to was installing a BBRight on the bike. I thought only Cervelo was the only one using that BB.
It took a few tries to get the cranks to sit correctly within the chain stays but eventually got that dialed in.

So to answer your question, the Factor 02 feels stiffer than my Parlee Altum, but more compliant since I'm running 28mm tires on it like @cunn1n9.
Handling doesn't feel twitchy but its possible that its the wheels that help...Enve SES 4.5 AR which are fairly wide, hookless and running tubeless.

Got the frameset from excelsports when they had them on sale for about half off.
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 Ene carbon hubs
- Argonaut Spacebike 2.0 + DA9170 + Enve SES 5.6 DT Swiss 240 CL hubs

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Thanks guys, interestinly similar points of view.
Im wondering if its TOO stiff: Noted you both run 28s which Ill probably do, but I found the Dogma F8 "too stiff" on 23s as 1) My back was really sore after 4-5 hours in the saddle, although that may also have been a fit issue and 2) I felt I was having to fight it from skipping round faster hairpins - if I really pushed it hard it was OK but had little "give" relative to my Basso which is as tight but more forgiving.
Some specific questions
1) How easy it it to ride hands free vs the Dogma ( for me a good test of the bikes stability) and 2) What happens if you wiggle the bars a bit from side to side as youre descending (slowly!)?

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Leviathan wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:27 am
Anyone with any real experience of the Factor O2 Disc - the few reviews out there suggest its very stiff: FWIW I have a Basso Diamante which has very similar geometry in the 56 and I love it, a Stevens Arcalis which Im a bit "meh" about, and my old bikes were Pinarello F8; too stiff but maybe it was unsersized for me in a 53cm, Time NXRS which was like a plank of wood, and one of the Old Canyon F8s which was a really good frame
Thanks in advance.
I borrowed one for three weeks. Equipped with 9100 Di2, it was a lot of fun to ride. A lot of fun - compliant and fast, comfy but stiff, it wasn't as twitchy as my Allez Sprint with Di2, but a lot smoother. I did not like the Pro1's on it so I switched to turbo cottons. It was brilliant to ride.

Once I get some things straight over the summer, I plan on building one.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Leviathan wrote:Thanks guys, interestinly similar points of view.
Im wondering if its TOO stiff: Noted you both run 28s which Ill probably do, but I found the Dogma F8 "too stiff" on 23s as 1) My back was really sore after 4-5 hours in the saddle, although that may also have been a fit issue and 2) I felt I was having to fight it from skipping round faster hairpins - if I really pushed it hard it was OK but had little "give" relative to my Basso which is as tight but more forgiving.
Some specific questions
1) How easy it it to ride hands free vs the Dogma ( for me a good test of the bikes stability) and 2) What happens if you wiggle the bars a bit from side to side as youre descending (slowly!)?
I can ride the O2 no hands without any dramas. The F8 is slightly more stable but both are easier. In my experience the O2 is faster handling.

If you wiggle the bars while descending? Never tried that but it is a good descender.

I like both bikes but if I had to choose I’d take the O2. If the tyre clearance on the dogma was better it would be closer. I like the look of both for different reasons but my suspicion is the Factor is better engineered except for the fact that the pina has a threaded BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffK

by JeffK

I bought a new Venge Pro this year for racing and then found a brand new Factor O2 disc rolling chassis for a smoking deal and built it up with DA9170 and a quarq PM. Was planning on selling it and making some money, but after a few rides I am not sure I can part with it. Its the best all-around bike I have ridden. Its stable and fast, super stiff BB but still very compliant. Its an amazing bike!

jackalope

by jackalope

I ride the Factor O2 Disc CHPT 3 OML edition; it's a fantastic riding bike. Beats the pants off the rest.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

JeffK wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:49 pm
I bought a new Venge Pro this year for racing and then found a brand new Factor O2 disc rolling chassis for a smoking deal and built it up with DA9170 and a quarq PM. Was planning on selling it and making some money, but after a few rides I am not sure I can part with it. Its the best all-around bike I have ridden. Its stable and fast, super stiff BB but still very compliant. Its an amazing bike!
making money selling complete bike does not happen

Djakninn

by Djakninn

jackalope wrote:I ride the Factor O2 Disc CHPT 3 OML edition; it's a fantastic riding bike. Beats the pants off the rest.
Just wondering why you're selling it then? Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jackalope

by jackalope

Djakninn wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:44 pm
jackalope wrote:I ride the Factor O2 Disc CHPT 3 OML edition; it's a fantastic riding bike. Beats the pants off the rest.

Because I'm going with the ONE Disc.

jackalope

by jackalope

Djakninn wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:44 pm

I've ridden the O2 Rim, O2 Disc, and ONE Disc; as far as ride quality goes the O2 Disc is by far my favorite. With that said, my need for the lightest of the light disc brake bike is minimal and I am selling my O2 Disc to move back over to the ONE disc. The terrain I ride 95% of the time is better suited for the aerodynamics of the ONE, as it also has a superb ride quality but with raw speed. Thus... selling the O2 Disc as either the frame, or the complete.

Djakninn

by Djakninn

Cool. I'm almost finished building up the same OML frameset in the same size myself, in fact if my LBS had finished the brakes when they said , i would have been on it today.
What's the approx weight you got it to?

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Im waiting on my wheels. Supposed to arrive today :(

jackalope

by jackalope

Djakninn wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:44 pm
Cool. I'm almost finished building up the same OML frameset in the same size myself, in fact if my LBS had finished the brakes when they said Image, i would have been on it today.
What's the approx weight you got it to?

Somewhere around 15lbs without any real weight weenie parts.

by Weenie