11 speed cassette on 10 speed drivetrain??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxice

by maxice

HI,

Maybe a stupid question but can you can an 11 speed cassette on a 10 speed drivetrain? Thought it maybe possible with adjusting the limits so either the top or bottom gear doesnt get used (effectively meaning its still 10 speed)

I have a 10 speed bike that I want to upgrade slowly to 11 speed. Just purchased new wheels so thought it would be best to put an 11 speed cassette on now

Will I also need an 11 speed chain?

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valy

by Valy

You could but I'd bet at least one of the extremes would not shift properly due to accumulation of error from different cable pull distance.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

It won't work because the cog spacing/thickness is different between the two. Tiagra 4700 (exception).

The right shifter + rear derailleur + cassette + chain need to be compatible.

If you're running sram, 10 and 11 speed derailleurs are cross compatible.

All my bikes are running 10 speed. I found it's a good way to use premium components. You can indulge yourself to duraace/red/superrecord perhaps.

kman

by kman

Won't work. 11s isn't just an extra cog thrown on the end, the spacing is narrower. You'll get a few gears working in a row, the rest will be noisy or completely out of whack.

You really need to change shifters/derailleurs/cassette/chain all at once. Unless using SRAM, as noted - their 10 and 11 derailleurs are interchangeable. Cranks/chainrings work either way.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

pocari123

by pocari123

The 11-34 hg800 cassette will fit on a 10 speed freehub body. But you’ll also need new shifters and derailleurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxice

by maxice

Thanks for the replys

Will just get a 10spd 105 cassette for now until i'm ready to upgrade all at once then