Tubeless tyre choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which high performance tubeless tyre do you think is the best?

Continental GP5000TL
35%
Hutchison Fusion 5 Galactic TLR
9%
Mavic Yksion Pro UST
7%
Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless
20%
Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0
10%
Screw tubeless - I prefer a regular clincher
21%

Total votes: 92

WinterRider

by WinterRider

MikeD wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:49 pm
I would not recommend Compass or Panaracer tires for tubeless. My tires bleed sealant through the casing, the beads have stretched, and a bubble has formed in the tread. Their max pressure is also low (60 psi). They should be great with tubes though.
EXACTLY. "Tubeless Compatible" per pantie-racers means a full load of grief. Been there.. a friend runs them now w tubes. I always ring vs pantie-racers.. their customer service reply to my inquiry was.. lets just say their people have their heads where the sun will never shine.

And.. the 'gravel queens' wear.. quickly.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

I dislike the casing of the GravelKing. Had a puncture on it and cannot be fixed by dynaplug. Fusion 5 TLR is much better in that aspect.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

kevinw

by kevinw

robeambro wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:42 pm
Jeez.. How'd you manage before tubeless? Clinchers must have been a nightmare..
I never had the missfortune of ridding the original mavic tyres. When I was on clinchers I road GP4000ii and punctures were as rare as you would expect.

I even commuted an entire year on tubs (conti gatorskins) until i got my first puncture... that puncture was enough for me to summise that commuting on tubs is a stupid idea.

TimmS

by TimmS

I have tried Schwalbe pro one.
Liked the feel, but didn't last long.

Now I'm on Ere Research Genus.
Not as supple as Schwalbe, but very durable and no puncture so far!

WinterRider

by WinterRider

TimmS wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am

SO I went to Ere site..... nothing-->... data.. wts etc. Smells like all 'store front'.........
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

petert123

by petert123

TimmS wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 am

Same for me, Interested to know how the Ere's go in the long term. Also need to try IRC's at some point myself.

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

Is Mavic Yksion UST the same tire as Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance?

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

DanielNorway wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:13 am
Same compound. But it has thicker thread, and is therefore a bit slower, but (maybe) a bit more resistant to punctures. That said, my experience with it is that the compound is pretty easy to cut.

zefs

by zefs

DanielNorway wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:13 am
The Yksion UST falls somewhere between the Galactik and Performance but they are made by Hutchinson.
If you are looking for some more versatility/mileage I'd go with Performance over the other 2 options.

kevinw

by kevinw

I might give one of Hutchinsons tyres a go on my mavic rims next - but if the compound is the same as the ones they make for mavic then I assume that they will suffer the same issue regarding cutting up easy?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

WinterRider wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 am
MikeD wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:49 pm
I would not recommend Compass or Panaracer tires for tubeless. My tires bleed sealant through the casing, the beads have stretched, and a bubble has formed in the tread. Their max pressure is also low (60 psi). They should be great with tubes though.
EXACTLY. "Tubeless Compatible" per pantie-racers means a full load of grief. Been there.. a friend runs them now w tubes. I always ring vs pantie-racers.. their customer service reply to my inquiry was.. lets just say their people have their heads where the sun will never shine.

And.. the 'gravel queens' wear.. quickly.

Yeah, so they require sealant. Some will sweat through, but it’s a nonissue. I haven’t any problem with their tires.

Of the listed I’ve tried all but the Corsa. Hutchinson don’t live long, Pro Ones fit a size larger and don’t seal well, and GP5k have an unnecessary 100g in the bead.

zefs

by zefs

kevinw wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:13 pm
I might give one of Hutchinsons tyres a go on my mavic rims next - but if the compound is the same as the ones they make for mavic then I assume that they will suffer the same issue regarding cutting up easy?
They have different reinforcement depending on tire model. So you can choose a model based on your riding conditions, the Performance is a great all round tire in my opinion but if you need extra protection for riding in the rain the All-Season would be better.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hutchinson all season are nice tyres I have run them through winter without issue although the second half of winter was drier. Ran the conti through winter and had issues but it was wetter to be fair. I still have yet to find something like the IRC rbcc or x guard though. The x guard is pretty cut resistant.

A customer came I today after 1500km on the x guards used on a fixed gear audax bike. There is not a mark on them. That's says it all really.

Sadly my rbcc punctured riding to the registration hut after last night raced it sealed up though.

kevinw

by kevinw

Any way to change a previous vote? I voted forthe GP5000 but my perseption has changed for the worse....

Thinking of trying the Pro Ones simply because they have been around a while and are proven. My heart wants to try the Corsa G2.0 but worried that it would just be another expensive mistake.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

kevinw wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:17 am
Any way to change a previous vote? I voted forthe GP5000 but my perseption has changed for the worse....

Thinking of trying the Pro Ones simply because they have been around a while and are proven. My heart wants to try the Corsa G2.0 but worried that it would just be another expensive mistake.
I don't think it would be an expensive mistake, it has the best grip wet or dry, basically the same opinion on this tyre as tobinhatesyou in the G2.0 thread and GP5k Tubeless thread...this is definately one of the best tyres I've ever tried.

That said I would like to try the IRC rbcc, but haven't found anywhere selling them locally (Thailand), can only find the Roadlite which isn't tubeless.