Tubeless tyre choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which high performance tubeless tyre do you think is the best?

Continental GP5000TL
35%
Hutchison Fusion 5 Galactic TLR
9%
Mavic Yksion Pro UST
7%
Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless
20%
Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0
10%
Screw tubeless - I prefer a regular clincher
21%

Total votes: 92

robeambro

by robeambro

It’s incredible how variable the feedback can be on each tyre. Doesn’t really lend itself to great decision making on my side haha

WinterRider

by WinterRider

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:27 am
I have no problem recommending the Hutchinson Fusion 5s, Mavic Yksion Pro UST or Vittoria Corsa G2.0.
I'd be interested to hear why you did not include the S Pro Ones above.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevinw

by kevinw

robeambro wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:25 am
It’s incredible how variable the feedback can be on each tyre. Doesn’t really lend itself to great decision making on my side haha
The struggle is real!!!

Just got to remember that everyone has only got their own experience to draw on and that people are always more likely to highlight the negatives...

I got my GP5Ks replaced through warranty so will be giving them another shot. I can't comment on the durability of the Hutchinson perforance yet (only done a couple of rides) but they definately aren't noticably slower than the GP5Ks - which was my worry. I'm more confident in the sidewall of the hutchinsons due to them being one piece rather than sewn but only time will tell. The hutionsons will be going on my winter bike long term so will get a battering.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

zefs wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:04 am
Did you buy the old ones by any chance? Mine were 2000km with no cuts at all, swapped them with Corsa's for this summer though and will re-use them later in the season.
Nope, the new ones. I may have just been unlucky with them, but I wouldn't buy again. I had the 28c Performance model, gave the front tyre to a friend after.

Pro Ones just aren't up with the big boys any more. I recently changed a friend’s pair (he went to GP5s), they have more cuts than a butchers board. One of the cuts was about 6" long and down to the threads of the internal casing. :shock:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

zefs

by zefs

Probably the road conditions were you live, try a tire with more puncture protection.

robeambro

by robeambro

kevinw wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:48 pm
robeambro wrote:
The struggle is real!!!

Just got to remember that everyone has only got their own experience to draw on and that people are always more likely to highlight the negatives...

I got my GP5Ks replaced through warranty so will be giving them another shot. I can't comment on the durability of the Hutchinson perforance yet (only done a couple of rides) but they definately aren't noticably slower than the GP5Ks - which was my worry. I'm more confident in the sidewall of the hutchinsons due to them being one piece rather than sewn but only time will tell. The hutionsons will be going on my winter bike long term so will get a battering.
Indeed! And this is for tyres only, then there's rim tape, valves, sealant, all items that are paramount to making a tubeless setup work flawlessly.. Jeez, I hope the pro peloton adopts tubeless sooner rather than later, this will probably give the TLR world a well-needed kick for innovation and simplification.

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

robeambro wrote:
And remember this, it's not just the tyre. It the tyre in combination with the rim. You'll see more variances from rim to rim to rim than you will see in tyres from various brands with regards to bead.
Doing bike things.