Tubeless tyre choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which high performance tubeless tyre do you think is the best?

Continental GP5000TL
35%
Hutchison Fusion 5 Galactic TLR
9%
Mavic Yksion Pro UST
7%
Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless
20%
Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0
10%
Screw tubeless - I prefer a regular clincher
21%

Total votes: 92

yinya

by yinya

Is there any wear markers on the Mavic Yksion UST to know when to replace? It’s sort of square on the rear but with not too many km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naylor343

by naylor343

Anyone running the Hutchinson performance 25mm on a 20c rim? What does it measure? I want to try it on a pacenti forza. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr2scott

by mr2scott

naylor343 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:36 am
Anyone running the Hutchinson performance 25mm on a 20c rim? What does it measure? I want to try it on a pacenti forza. Thanks.
The hutchinson fusion performance storm 11 do not have enough tread for a 20mm wide rim. I'd be afraid to lean the bike way way over. For normal riding it's probably fine. I think they measure 26-27mm, nothing crazy. The sidewall bulges out pretty far though.

I think tires need to start being designed for rim width. Sort of like what maxxis is doing with their MTB tires.

jlok

by jlok

mr2scott wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:47 am
naylor343 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:36 am
The hutchinson fusion performance storm 11 do not have enough tread for a 20mm wide rim. I'd be afraid to lean the bike way way over. For normal riding it's probably fine. I think they measure 26-27mm, nothing crazy. The sidewall bulges out pretty far though.

I think tires need to start being designed for rim width. Sort of like what maxxis is doing with their MTB tires.
Totally agree. The tread of 28c Fusion 5 performance tlr 11storm is only 25mm wide while the 28c Rubion TLR is 30mm. Both tires bead to bead are at ard 70mm. The Rubino TLR conforms to the SES 4.5 AR much better than the Fusion 5.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

robeambro

by robeambro

Bumping this.

After getting a sidewall cut on my GP5000TL after only 1000km, while I understand it may be well be a coincidence, I would like to try something new.

Keen to hear from people who tried Hutchinson Performance, Schwalbe Pro One, IRC Formula RBCC. Interested in puncture resistance, rolling resistance, comfort, grip, all of it.

jlok

by jlok

I have tried Pro One and Fusion 5 Perf 11storm tlr.

Pro One might be faster but Fusion 5 has more wet grip (gut feeling). Milleage... Fusion 5 might be a bit longer service. Pro One is less puncture resistant. Both are quite light, and comfort are similar.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have no problem recommending the Hutchinson Fusion 5s, Mavic Yksion Pro UST or Vittoria Corsa G2.0.

I can confidently say the Corsas have better grip than the next best tire. Everything else is just "gut feeling" territory. Right now one of my wheelsets has a GP5K on the front and Corsa G2.0 on the rear. Whenever I roll through dirt or dead leaves, the Corsa rubber picks up way more dirt and leaves. The Hutchinson and Mavic tires are less expensive, easier to mount and easier to seat however.

I haven't had enough time on the Corsas to report on endurance and puncture resistance. The rubber layer on sidewalls is pretty fragile...it looks sprayed on. I haven't head any punctures though and the tread itself doesn't have many cuts.

dim

by dim

I've had 2 sets of IRC Formula RBCC .... I really like these and have done many miles with them .... grip is really good both in the dry and wet and they are fast

I still prefer the Conti 5000 TL though
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Had Pro One that got a puncture in less than 100 mi...refused to seal with orange sealant...had to change tire....waiting on a hutchinson patch kit to see if i can get some use out of it.

Replaced with irc rbcc...got punctures in front and rear...both held enough pressure to get me home 15miles away..~40psi...

Pumped them back up to 80psi...haven't dropped pressure in two days...will ride them and see how they hold up.

TlDR: pro one's didnt seal
RBCC sealed and seem to be better

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks all.

For now I'm thinking that - at least for my set of priorities - the Hutchinsons could be preferable to the Schwalbe. I'm still on the fence regarding the IRC (why do you prefer the Conti's, dim? And thanks to rudye who just posted while I was writing this), and likewise for the Corsa's (I've read way too many people here and elsewhere complaining about durability and puncture resistance).

I don't mind punctures (well, ok, once in a while), so long as they can be fixed road side (which ideally means no sidewall problems, hence my scepticism with the GP5k), and grip needs to be good but not necessarily stellar (I don't race, just want to be safe), same for rolling resistance, I love some gains but I won't cry if I lose 1-2w versus the best tyre. Basically, a jack-of-all-trades tyre.

zefs

by zefs

I would go with Hutchinson Performance for all round. Corsa G2.0 would be a bit better grip/performance with a little lower mileage probably.

dim

by dim

robeambro wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:25 pm
I'm still on the fence regarding the IRC (why do you prefer the Conti's, dim?
the Conti 5000 TL are more durable and definately faster than the IRC in my honest opinion
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kevinw

by kevinw

I had a sidewall puncture on my rear GP5k and threads coming off the sidewall of both the front and rear.

Currently running Hutchinson performance and I'm fairly happy. Havent noticed a drop in performance from the GP5Ks but they don't quite set into the rim (Bora WTO) as well and can be pushed out and "burped" at 40psi. They were also slightly harder to inflate - but went on the rim without tools.

Also, the actual tread on the hutchinsons seem a little narrow for the wide rim?

I'm going to give some GP5Ks another chance but at the moment they dont seem to be worth the extra money.

Interested in the corsa G2.0 also.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Hutchinson Performance are night and day compared to GP5Ks. I had them on my bike for a couple of months and thought they were complete garbage. Had numerous punctures on roads I ride week in and week out.

Having tried pretty much all apart from IRC, I shall be sticking with GP5Ks and Corsa 2.0s...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

zefs

by zefs

Did you buy the old ones by any chance? Mine were 2000km with no cuts at all, swapped them with Corsa's for this summer though and will re-use them later in the season.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com