Which is the best bike beetwen Pinarello F12 disc and Colnago C64 disc?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Colnago

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mag

by mag

If you're into aero then the good thing about the F12 is that it performs strongly on this front. C64 is more of a classic-style frame and I'd say it isn't full-on racing frame as it's heavier for what's possible with the carbon and of course not that aero (though sometimes you can see people from Colnago-sponsored teams racing on them, but they use V2-r much more).

It's about what are your requirements/desires and the best thing is of course to at least test ride them. There are also many other options, even really Italian made (though the raw materials are still sourced from elsewhere) - if that's what you're into.

@Lewn777 What's your source of that manufacturers information? AFAIK it's wrong - at least in the 1st case (no idea about the 2nd).

Lewn777

by Lewn777

mag wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:16 pm
If you're into aero then the good thing about the F12 is that it performs strongly on this front. C64 is more of a classic-style frame and I'd say it isn't full-on racing frame as it's heavier for what's possible with the carbon and of course not that aero (though sometimes you can see people from Colnago-sponsored teams racing on them, but they use V2-r much more).

It's about what are your requirements/desires and the best thing is of course to at least test ride them. There are also many other options, even really Italian made (though the raw materials are still sourced from elsewhere) - if that's what you're into.

@Lewn777 What's your source of that manufacturers information? AFAIK it's wrong - at least in the 1st case (no idea about the 2nd).
I was just trolling really, being a trollesque thread, but my claims are based on fact. :lol: I live in China and I have a Chinese friend who is a shop owner and has done multiple factory visits. Actually I always thought that the C64 frame was built in Italy from tubes and buttings made in China, but my friend claims not. :smartass:

Those are his claims, but he also admits that some manufacturers have bikes that are split across multiple factories depending on whether low/high end, so yes there is some inaccuracy.

My bike has 'Italian passion' written on the frame, Made and painted in Huizhou, China sent to Taiwan for assembly and has 'Made in Taiwan' written on it, so you can see the issues surrounding these questions. By all means start a thread on Cycle Chat so we can delve deeper into this issue and clear some of the fog.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

The Pinarello is just a fancier version of the most ubiquitous recipe of a monocoque frame, baked in a mold in an Asian factory. It has the same qualities... And defects. Yet, you pay a premium for the name and sexy lines.

At least on the Colnago, you get something different (lugged tube construction) that will ride differently than the monocoque frames. If I were paying this kind of premium, I'd go for the "different" option, but that's just me.

coresare

by coresare

I think the F10 looks better than the F12. On a group ride we were making fun of the guy on an F10 because his bike is obsolete already since a new model came out. Jokingly of course, but know that Pinarello comes out with new models quickly. A high end shop here craps on Pinarello. If I had to pick between the two I would get the F12 because it looks like it is more aero dynamic and also newer. I have never ridden either. I just don't like how wavy the tubes are on the F12..like the previous Dogmas. I will take a monocoque frame over lugged.

fogman

by fogman

In two years the F12 is going to be obsolete, as the F14 will be their current flagship model. Colnago seems to wait 4-6 years between model cycles. Therefore you have a better chance of riding a “current model” with a C64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

DJT21

by DJT21

fogman wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:22 pm
In two years the F12 is going to be obsolete, as the F14 will be their current flagship model. Colnago seems to wait 4-6 years between model cycles. Therefore you have a better chance of riding a “current model” with a C64.

C64 is already out of date with it's exposed cables and lack of aerodynamics.

joe1234

by joe1234

LouisN wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:01 pm
Colnago

Louis :)
Oh que oui! Colnago for ever!!!

AJS914

by AJS914

DJT21 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:36 pm
C64 is already out of date with it's exposed cables and lack of aerodynamics.
It got an aero seatpost and you can hide the cables but, of course, it's still not an aero bike.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

fogman wrote:

Who wants to ride the same thing forever?
Deleted.
Last edited by tabl10s on Mon May 27, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

tabl10s

by tabl10s

fogman wrote:

Who wants to ride the same thing forever?
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

coresare

by coresare

I take it back. The F12 is pretty ugly.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

Thanks! The life in the top of the range is an interesting point of view that I had not considered.

neeb

by neeb

Why have you narrowed your choice down to those two bikes in particular? As had been pointed out they are quite different, so it's a slightly strange shortlist.

Is it because you have the impression that these two brands and/or bikes are the best in terms of absolute quality and technological advancement? If so, this simply isn't the case, there are plenty other brands that are every bit as good. If you are looking at tech primarily then the big mainstream brands that have plenty money to invest in R&D are at least the equal of Pinarello (Trek, Specialized, Bianchi, Cannondale, Giant, Merida etc). If it's quality of overall ride characteristics you want then agan there are many other options - you could quote the above list again but add Ridley, Cervelo, BMC, etc., etc..

The single thing that unites the Dogma F12 and the C64 is "status" - they are marketed as "premium" with associated pricing.. I use quotes around these words because the "status" you aquire by owning one of those bikes will be heavily dependent on your peer group and/or your fitness/type of riding. If you are a bit overweight and unfit and and turn up at a club run in a less than universally affluent area on a brand new F12 you are likely to be a considerable source of amusement (expressed or otherwise depending on local conventions of politeness and directness). However if you live somewhere where everyone is well-heeled and the cycling scene revolves around posing outside the local artisan coffee shop (no criticism implied), then you may get a much more appreciative reception, especially if you also happen to be fast and fit. But you won't gain anything in practical performance terms by going for one of those two brands over many others.

Also, why disc brakes? Are you sure they are best for the type of riding you do or do you just want them because they are marketed as the latest technology?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I don't get how you compared Colnago and Pinarello in terms of innovation. Colnagos top of the line bikes seems based on an old receipt and Pinarello is quite the opposite.
For your description of what you look for, Pinarello seems to be the only choice.
Why not go for a Sarto? Or the new Except?
https://www.exept.cc/bikes/all-road/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.