Is there a better aero wheel than a Campy Ultra 50 out there?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Ok guys, I'd use this topic to ask. I need an universal wheelset (50-75% mountain riding) and decided to choose from WTO45 disc (when available) and Bora Ones 35. Is there any reason not to wait for WTOs?

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, if you’re good with clinchers, then I’d wait for the WTO disc (when is it coming out... I have no idea). The 45mm depth is a really nice depth as well. I think the main decision point is whether you want tubulars or clinchers. If not, then WT0 in the 45’s would be my pick.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Clinchers, sorry for not mentioning it earlier! I was a bit worried if 45 would not be too high, but it seems I'd wait indeed - they are supposed to be available around August, but I expect that in reality it would be closer to winter. Not a problem anyway...

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

glory cycles says 45 WTO DBs are end of June.. don't know how reliable that is though...

chiefspinninggear

by chiefspinninggear

also an advocate of the Boras as the best all rounder. I'm running 50 tubs as daily and cannot praise enough - also intrigued by this whole tubeless stuff with the WTO so will likely be next purchase
Last edited by chiefspinninggear on Fri May 24, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5DII

by 5DII

Calnago wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:21 pm
Well, I’m sure you’ll get varying opinions but I too get a chance to work with and ride various high end wheelsets and my simple answer to your question is “Nope”. At least as far as tubulars go.
Actually, if you want to focus on strictly aero, then I dunno, and don’t really care. But as an overall wheelset, all things considered, my answer is still “Nope”.
How do you get this opportunity to work with and ride high end wheelsets? Where are you located?

Wookski

by Wookski

Bora ultra 50’s are ridiculously good, they’re the wheel I keep going back to (rotation includes 35’s, ax ultra 25t and obermeyers).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@5DII, Well, it just kind of evolved over the years I suppose. I’ve always liked tinkering and working on bikes, since I was like 8 years old or something. Made some dough in high tech years ago, but cycling was more fun so I left to travel the world, mostly by bike, and then was thinking about frame building. But basically just started with friends’ bikes, then word of mouth, and I’m in an area (Pacific Northwest) with a lot of cycling and high end stuff around. So, even though I’m not a “shop”, I like to consider myself the guy you want to have working on your high end bikes when the shops can’t seem to get it “right”. It’s not a “job” but I pretty much always have some special project going on, and it’s usually pretty high end. I only do the stuff I’m interested in. I’m pretty passionate about it and sometimes I’ve backed off a bit but I’ve had people that just keep insisting they only want me to build their bike even though I might say take it to so and so. And I usually break down eventually. And if it’s something I just want to work on for my own knowledge but no one I know has the stuff for me to build it, well then sometimes I’ll just buy it myself to tear apart and learn about it, ride it around etc. That’s kind of how/why I took on that Madone last year. Didn’t want one of my own but was curious how it all builds up. Then ended up pretty much tearing it apart and rebuilding it since the Trek Shop did such a terrible job. The owner just left it with me to ride around for pretty much as long as I wanted as we tested various wheels etc with it. It helps to have friends/clients like that as well.
Last edited by Calnago on Sat May 25, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

cyclespeed wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:14 pm
I´ve been using Campa BoraUltra 50 for 18 months now and really like them.

Light, aero, roll really nicely, smooth, stiff, etc.etc.

I need another set of wheels for my other bike / project. Do I just double up and buy them again? Or is there something else out there worth considering?

I´ve used Lightweight Meilensteins, Mavic Ultimate CCU, Corima MMC47S, DTSWiss 45, Enve 28, etc.

Not too keen on Zipp.
Maybe Gokiso wheels?

http://www.gokiso.jp/en/products/wheel_01.html
kgt wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:40 pm
Without doubt you will not find better hubs than the ones on Bora anywhere in the market. And great hubs can offer a sensational feeling.
Maybe Gokiso hubs?

http://www.gokiso.jp/en/products/

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

Reading this thread has me thinking about getting boras for my next wheelset

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

Try some DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 48 (aero, ceramic, good in crosswinds)

https://www.roadrevolution18.dtswiss.com/aero/

I like them as much as my Bora 50 Ultra (and more than my Meilenstein, Fulcrum, Mavic, etc...).

chiumomo

by chiumomo

Flange distance on those GOKISO hub seems really bad. Seriously doubt if it can be built into a acceptably stiff wheel

ico

by ico

Corima wheels gets my vote. Very happy with them, great hubs.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

ico wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:12 am
Corima wheels gets my vote. Very happy with them, great hubs.
I rate my Corima hubs above dura ace, the wheels are fast, stiff and very good in cross winds (58mm). Also enjoy the quiet ride from the foam core compared to the hollow rumble of other deep carbon wheels.

However they don’t stop in the wet, and I would like to try a wider inner width wheel and maybe tubeless. The Bora WTO is the one I would like to try next.

markyboy

by markyboy

I would not swap my bora ultra 50s tubular for the world,best wheels i have owned and ive had a few.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com