Is there a better aero wheel than a Campy Ultra 50 out there?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I´ve been using Campa BoraUltra 50 for 18 months now and really like them.

Light, aero, roll really nicely, smooth, stiff, etc.etc.

I need another set of wheels for my other bike / project. Do I just double up and buy them again? Or is there something else out there worth considering?

I´ve used Lightweight Meilensteins, Mavic Ultimate CCU, Corima MMC47S, DTSWiss 45, Enve 28, etc.

Not too keen on Zipp.

morrisond

by morrisond

You might as well try WTO's - Better in crosswinds and wider - it would be fun to ride them back to back. Go for 45's if you don't want the weight,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Roval clx50

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, I’m sure you’ll get varying opinions but I too get a chance to work with and ride various high end wheelsets and my simple answer to your question is “Nope”. At least as far as tubulars go.
Actually, if you want to focus on strictly aero, then I dunno, and don’t really care. But as an overall wheelset, all things considered, my answer is still “Nope”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mep

by Mep

Calnago wrote:Well, I’m sure you’ll get varying opinions but I too get a chance to work with and ride various high end wheelsets and my simple answer to your question is “Nope”. At least as far as tubulars go.
Actually, if you want to focus on strictly aero, then I dunno, and don’t really care. But as an overall wheelset, all things considered, my answer is still “Nope”.
Would you mind elaborating on which wheelsets you've compared them to, preferably back to back?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I’d mind cuz it would take too long. Suffice to say, that in my opinion, there is simply no better overall road wheelset on the market, at any price. And like I said, you’re going to get many opinions on this. But that is mine.
Oh, and to @cyclespeed... the other thing is if you swap wheels between bikes etc, the distance from the locknut to the cassette is always identical with Campy wheels so you can just swap the wheels and be off, without having to adjust your rear derailleur for differences in that regard.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Calnago wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:21 pm
Well, I’m sure you’ll get varying opinions but I too get a chance to work with and ride various high end wheelsets and my simple answer to your question is “Nope”. At least as far as tubulars go.
+1

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Even if you are a tub fan, no reason not to look at the WTO 60. Deeper and you can run the currently fastest rubber. They are expensive but you did mention Ultra. For me the best wheel is the One, because you can add a somewhat reasonable price to the list of features.

Mep

by Mep

Calnago wrote:Yes, I’d mind cuz it would take too long. Suffice to say, that in my opinion, there is simply no better overall road wheelset on the market, at any price. And like I said, you’re going to get many opinions on this. But that is mine.
Oh, and to @cyclespeed... the other thing is if you swap wheels between bikes etc, the distance from the locknut to the cassette is always identical with Campy wheels so you can just swap the wheels and be off, without having to adjust your rear derailleur for differences in that regard.
You could point out a few without writing an autobiography. Regardless, I've ridden the Bora One 50 back to back vs. Lightweight Meilenstein and Reynolds RZR and frankly don't think it's better than these 2 in particular. In terms of aero/holding speed, accelerating, crosswind stability, and braking. I'm on tubulars and don't have any mountainous routes near me, so keep that in mind.

kgt

by kgt

It depends on what one wants IMHO.
Bora are great wheels but there are wheels which are better in some aspects: lighter, stiffer, lower inertia etc. LWs or Corima MCC for example.
Without doubt you will not find better hubs than the ones on Bora anywhere in the market. And great hubs can offer a sensational feeling.

Seedster

by Seedster

The Bora 50 are a great set of wheels. I would venture the Campy WTO wheels are probably more aero. I have not tried them yet but look forward to giving them a spin sometime soon.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Mep wrote:
Calnago wrote:Yes, I’d mind cuz it would take too long. Suffice to say, that in my opinion, there is simply no better overall road wheelset on the market, at any price. And like I said, you’re going to get many opinions on this. But that is mine.
You could point out a few without writing an autobiography. Regardless, I've ridden the Bora One 50 back to back vs. Lightweight Meilenstein and Reynolds RZR and frankly don't think it's better than these 2 in particular. In terms of aero/holding speed, accelerating, crosswind stability, and braking. I'm on tubulars and don't have any mountainous routes near me, so keep that in mind.
Ok, well for starters, and since you’ve got experience with them, I can think of no worse wheel while descending at speed in any kind of gusty conditions than Lightweights, with the exception of the short lived MadFibers of some years ago with the super thick flat spokes. But they are stiff, very stiff. I haven’t ridden the Reynolds you mention but did own a set of Reynolds DVUL46 clinchers. Not for me either, just not stable enough or strong enoug, but Reynolds did beef those up a bit the following year. That was back around 2010 or so. The RZRs had some pretty fat spokes too if I remember correctly?... and while I haven’t ridden them, fat spokes (large flat cross section exposed to the side) never seem to fare very well in crosswinds.
A lot of wheels seem to be built around the DT Swiss 240 hub geometry, which is not the best if you’re a bigger rider. But braking comes into it as well, if you’re using rim brakes, and to date the Bora braking surface with their red pads leaves me wanting for, nothing. They’re that good, wet or dry. I’m a heavy guy and even though the Boras only have 21 lightweight aero spokes at the rear and their G3 spoke pattern, (18 front radial), they support me very well and I don’t have any confidence issues on them. The hubs and bearings have been mentioned time and time again and I’ve yet to have to replace a set of Cult bearings. They are just a remarkable wheel, and although they are really expensive in the US, can be had for much more reasonable prices elsewhere. End of story.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri May 24, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

@cyclespeed

Ive owned all the wheelsets you have had as well. The ones you've had are the only ones I feel that offer some unique characteristics that differentiate them from the Boras but I also wouldn't say they're better, just different.

In short, I agree with Calnago. HOWEVER, I think the Reynolds 46 Aero would have been the best wheelset I have owned if they weren't so daft as to do 16/20 spokes. With OEM brakes it's not too bothersome since you can run the pads wide enough to not get rub while retain the braking feel but they're a no go with eeBrakes.

Why do they have an edge over the Bora 50s? They're nearly impervious to wind...it's shocking, they feel better than 28mm deep wheels. Braking is slightly more powerful than Boras. Lastly, they're 26.2 wide so they fit the 105% rule with 25 tubs.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I should say that the Reynolds I had were well before what you’re comparing to RyanH, and they were of standard width. Plus, they were just too light for me (that’s what the UL stands for in their name). I learned there are limits to weight for everyone, and these were below mine and after just about meeting my maker on a mountain descent, then crashing a week later due to the wheels going all wonky when I hit a rumble strip, I moved them to my girlfriends bike. And she loved them, but she only weighed half as much as me. And back then they had some issues with heat and delamination. While I never had any of those issues personally, the reason I got them over the EDGE (ENVE’s prior name) was that the EDGE’s were having some delamination issues and the supplier thought the Reynolds (being newer) might fare better. Turns out they didn’t, and both EDGE and Reynolds beefed up their lightweight offerings the following year.
@Cyclespeed, if wind is a concern but you like the Boras, why not opt for a set of the 35’s, to complement your 50’s.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri May 24, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I own CLX40, 50, 64, Bora Ultra 50, and WTO60 all clincher... I have only just received the WTO 60s, but can just tell by looking at em, they are gonna be fast..
Out of what I have my preferences are:
1) Bora Ultra 50
2) CLX 50
3) CLX 64
4) CLX 40
Im guessing once I ride the WTOs the WTO is gonna goto number 1...