What's the Cleanest Madone SLR Cable Routing with 3rd Party Bar/Stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cajer

by cajer

So the Madone SLR Rim in it's smallest config still has too much reach for me. This is due to it's long reach bars (93mm) and a shortest stem length of 90mm. I still want to get a Madone as it is the only rim brake aero road bike, and it has Isospeed.

I would need to use the 3rd party stem adapter to get the correct position. What would be the cleanest front end setup in terms of hiding cables? I was intrested in the Specialized Venge front end, but they bars are back ordered to hell (Novemeber). I would be fine with an integrated bar stem if there was one that routes the cables nicely into the headset.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

cajer wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:40 am
So the Madone SLR Rim in it's smallest config still has too much reach for me. This is due to it's long reach bars (93mm) and a shortest stem length of 90mm. I still want to get a Madone as it is the only rim brake aero road bike, and it has Isospeed.

I would need to use the 3rd party stem adapter to get the correct position. What would be the cleanest front end setup in terms of hiding cables? I was intrested in the Specialized Venge front end, but they bars are back ordered to hell (Novemeber). I would be fine with an integrated bar stem if there was one that routes the cables nicely into the headset.
So even with 50cm frame, 90mm stem, zero setback seatpost, saddle moved forward has too much reach?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

Moving the saddle forward competely would mess up my knee to pedal spindle positioning.

To give some perspective, I am currenlty on a Cervelo S5 48cm with 100mm stem and 80mm reach handle bars, for a total reach of ~540mm. The Madone SLR 50cm with 90mm stem, Madone bars gives ~560mm reach.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You shouldn’t really be moving your saddle forward without simultaneously raising it if you want to maintain your relative knee/spindle relationship. Look at it as if it’s moving through an arc around the BB.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

cajer wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:32 am
Moving the saddle forward competely would mess up my knee to pedal spindle positioning.

To give some perspective, I am currenlty on a Cervelo S5 48cm with 100mm stem and 80mm reach handle bars, for a total reach of ~540mm. The Madone SLR 50cm with 90mm stem, Madone bars gives ~560mm reach.
The default seatpost on the Madone has a 25mm setback. They sell one with a 5mm setback. Theres your 20mm.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

cajer

by cajer

Unfortuantely moving 20mm forward on the saddle woud likely totally screw up my knee positioning even if I moved the saddle up. Does anyone know of a super clean front end setup.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:09 am
cajer wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:32 am

The default seatpost on the Madone has a 25mm setback. They sell one with a 5mm setback. Theres your 20mm.

Did you not read what cajer or Calnago said?

Reach is defined as the horizontal distance to the top of the HT (or stem, bars, hoods.) You do not make up for a lack of reach by changing your saddle position.

Saddle position is mostly determined by leg dimensions and optimal power output. There isn't much room for adjustment there. You could do what Calnago mentioned and raise your saddle along with pushing it forward, but this has consequences. It forces you to ride with a more extreme back angle and/or a flatter back. Many people cannot maintain this position comfortably. It changes the way muscle groups are activated. Slamming the saddle forward and increasing its height will put a lot more emphasis on your quads at the expense of everything else. It also pushes your center of gravity forward, changing the way your bike handles.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

cajer wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:05 am
Unfortuantely moving 20mm forward on the saddle woud likely totally screw up my knee positioning even if I moved the saddle up. Does anyone know of a super clean front end setup.
I have two friends who swapped from a 25mm setback to a zero on a Factor One and 2018 Madone 9. One did it claiming he lost power with the 25mm setback while the other did it for a better fit. Obviously it depends on your body dimensions.
Attachments
madone.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Look, cajer is clearly familiar with the pertinent coordinates for his bike fit. There's no point in continuing to suggest the 5mm setback post.

This also isn't a weird situation like on the Cannondale SystemSix where the 25mm setback post and 13mm setback seat-tube combine for 38mm of setback. The Trek 25mm setback post is set back 25mm from the line originating from BB-c.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I've setup a madone both with integrated bars and custom bars. I'd say even with universal bars and stem the cables are nearly invisible.

It depends on the cable flexibility and how well they are sized.

That way they make a nice curve under the stem/bar clamp area and stay exactly below.

cajer

by cajer

alcatraz wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:08 am
I've setup a madone both with integrated bars and custom bars. I'd say even with universal bars and stem the cables are nearly invisible.

That way they make a nice curve under the stem/bar clamp area and stay exactly below.
That sounds great! Do you happen to have any pictures?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

cajer wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:00 am
alcatraz wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:08 am

That sounds great! Do you happen to have any pictures?
They aren't the best pics but you can see the area is basically clear. The bend stays right under the clamp so you don't even see the cables when looking from above.

We used shimano housing and cables here.

Also, because the madone headset spacer for externally routed cables does rotate with the bars the cables don't move at all. They stay the way you fit them. Avoid a too small radius on the bend though. Because the cable and housing we used was such good quality we could do tighter bends.
Attachments
mmexport1558680741655.jpg
Screenshot_20190524-145257.jpg

cajer

by cajer

Well this is all academic now, as I asked Trek and they say that there isn't an normal stem adapter for the Madone SLR right now.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cajer wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 pm
Well this is all academic now, as I asked Trek and they say that there isn't an normal stem adapter for the Madone SLR right now.

Your Trek source is misinformed.

https://youtu.be/xqqJEh51wWs?t=85

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

Thanks Tobin! That's really good to know. I was thinking of a Specialized Venge stem + Enve Aero road bars or the Enve aero stem + Zipp SL70 aero