Fast Forward F4R FCC ("black version") Vs. Fulcrum Speed 40C

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SpeedBerger

by SpeedBerger

Hello guys,

I just want to know how satisfied are the owners with F4R FCC 2018/2019 wheels ("black version")? I'm looking for new wheels and one of options is F4F FCC DT240.
Which version of F4F FCC wheels do you ride and which hub dt350/dt240? Are these wheels loud?

I am also interested in Fulcrum Speed 40C Carbon Wheelset Clincher, but they has USB ceramic bearings.
That's meaning at least another 100€ additional cost per year for service? :?:

Is Fulcrum Speed 40C with these hubs much faster than F4F FCC DT240?

If someone has 2 minutes of time for sharing your experiance with F4R FCC ("black version", or one of the newer ones) Vs. Fulcrum Speed 40C wheels will be great!

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

No experience with clinchers but i really prefer Fulcrum Speed 40T (Cult bearings) to Ffwd 45mm tubulars. More responsive and more comfortable. But clinchers may be different..

silvalis

by silvalis

No idea how many kms you're planning on doing on these per year, but replacing the usb bearings each year sounds excessive, provided you maintain them.
Chasse patate

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yeah. USB bearings don't need to be replaced. They just need to be cleaned the relubed. The only thing you need to replace in a USB or CULT wheel are the two sealed bearings inside the freehub. The two sealed bearings are non-ceramic whether the wheel is USB or CULT. I'm on my third set of freehub bearings already on one wheel (USB) but I'm trying NTN bearings from Japan which Hambini says it's the best bearing money can buy. So we'll see if they last longer. My CULT wheel is newer and it still has the original sealed bearings.

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

I had FFWD F4C DT180 clinchers. They road beautifully and stayed true even after riding through many of NYCs poorly maintained roads. They seemed to maintain speed decently well. With the stock ratchet system (18T), the wheels are quiet. I upgraded to the higher engagement 36T ratchet which increased the volume quite a bit. (I personally enjoyed the added volume and buzz). If you need higher engagement but less sound, it's recommended to use a heavier grease.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

SpeedBerger

by SpeedBerger

Hello guys.

Thanks for answers. For this year is plan around 10.000 kilometers.

pdlpsher1, thanks for this informations, as you say: "The only thing you need to replace in a USB or CULT wheel are the two sealed bearings inside the freehub."

I also don't uderstand as say FFWD, the new DARC technology stands for ‘Double Arc’. What does this mean in practice? Are this "V" shape or "U" shape wheels?

I think DT240S are quality hubs. Do you have a different experience?

brusselsprouts

by brusselsprouts

SpeedBerger wrote:Hello guys.

Thanks for answers. For this year is plan around 10.000 kilometers.

pdlpsher1, thanks for this informations, as you say: "The only thing you need to replace in a USB or CULT wheel are the two sealed bearings inside the freehub."

I also don't uderstand as say FFWD, the new DARC technology stands for ‘Double Arc’. What does this mean in practice? Are this "V" shape or "U" shape wheels?

I think DT240S are quality hubs. Do you have a different experience?
DT240S hubs are excellent and extremely easy to maintain. Cant go wrong

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

SpeedBerger wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:48 pm

I was looking very hard at these wheels for this season but ended with a pair of Caden "deCadenCe" clinchers, which are lighter and lower priced.

The "double arc" is kind of double bulge of the profile - kinda like a U shape which is squeezed in the middle. Supposedly more aero... :noidea:

I actually asked their customer service for a profile drawing to see the measurements of rhe rim, but they never provided this.