di2 install tips - aero handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Konsi

by Konsi

I bought the replacement fittings for the Jagwire wiring tool and used a normal magnet. Worked like a charm.

Konsi

by Konsi

I bought the replacement fittings for the Jagwire wiring tool and used a normal magnet. Worked like a charm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

scale29 wrote:To thread Di2 wires, I made up a draw wire.

Grab a gear cable (remember those) and a 4mm gear ferrule, put the cable through the ferrule backwards, so that the nipple on the cable is inside the ferrule then cut the blank end off a cable crimp, slide over the wire to the ferrule, and crimp.

The 4mm ferrule is a snug but easily connected, holder for a Di2 plug. The steel wire pushes through bars and frames easily and can be caught with magnets etc for tricky areas, a little ‘set’ on the end of the cable can help it exit holes.
This technique works very well for me.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

buhx2

by buhx2

Got everything wired up using the weld wire, so thanks for that tip Hambini and everyone else that contributed. Just took some patience and once I got the hang of how to do it the other wires were pretty easy.

So with everything routed now through the bars, how is everyone running their wire to the frame? There’s a hole in my bar where the stem clamp is, so could run the wire through the stem, but obviously would need a stem that allows to run the wire back into the frame to utilize the hole at the stem clamp. I know Shimano Pro Vibe stem allows for this, but also debating just exiting the di2 wire underneath the bars where the brake cables exit the bars, then running that back into the top tube hole then back down the down tube towards the Junction B box. Any thoughts on the best way to hide the di2 wire? Or just leave it exposed?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Shrink wrap it to the brake hose.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

scale29

by scale29

As above, I run the Di2 wire by the side of the rear brake hose into the frame and shrink wrap.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I purchased the Park Tool internal cable kit, a while back. They have a specific cable for threading Di2 wires, and the magnet is sufficiently strong enough to work through even the thickest of carbon handlebars and frames (the Madone 9 bar/stem combo has some very thick parts). I was able to thread the wires through the bars and the frame pretty easily using this tool.

If you work on enough bikes (my wife and I have 6 bikes with internal wiring/cabling), then it's worth the investment (it also comes with cables for mechanical cables, housing and hydraulic tubing, in case you were wondering).