Campagnolo 12spd crankset compatible with 11spd chain + FD?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
RedRacer

by RedRacer

I am using a 2015 Super Record 11spd mechanical drivetrain but with a 2014 Super Record 5-bolt crankset. The time has come to add a power meter but Stages doesn't offer a left hand / single sided PM for my old type of SR crankset. Plan B is to buy a Power 2 Max NG PM but to future-proof my purchase I would like to get the new 12spd version.

Does anyone know if the 2019 Super Record 50/34 12spd crankset will shift fine with the 2015 SR FD and chain?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

having a perfectly functional bicycle with:

Chain: kmc 11-speed
crankset: 5-arm Chorus 11s 34/50
FD: 10s centaur
RD: 10s centaur
Cassette: SRAM 12-36 (yes, you read that correctly, a 10s campy RD with a 10s sram cassette, i have a $5 mod that works perfectly)
wolftooth roadlink (to accommodate larger sprockets)

i am going to assuredly say YES, a 12s crankset will work

by Weenie

hannawald

by hannawald

There is some info in Campa 12 speed thread. Not recommended, esp. with EPS.

jih

by jih

If you’re going to pay for 12s, why not also buy the proper chain? It is hardly the most expensive component in the group

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

12s chain over 11s sprockets, likely too tight

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

1) I don't see any reason that you couldn't use a 12s crank with an 11s group. according to Camp specs, there is no change in the distance between the chainrings. They may have chnged the pins, so you may get some noise in the small/small combination. See my #2.
2)I haven't tested this out yet (I plan to), but I don't think there will be an issue with a 12s chain on an 11s bike. I saw the Campy guys at an event over the weekend, and they said that the only change to the chain was the flushness of the pins and the outer links.
3) Someday, I also plan on test a 12s chain and cassette on my 11s bike. Other than only being able to use 11 cogs, I don't expect an issue.

hannawald

by hannawald

My lbs was not able to tune Super Record 12 EPS with 11 speed Super Record cranks. I have problems upshifting from smaller chainring to bigger one as it wants to go out of the rings (too far). With mechanical may be I could have sorted this with up screw but with eps there is not such thing. With original Campy chainrings it is slightly better than with Bor chainrings but no good. I need to be very careful when upshifting, then it half falls but in the end catches. According to my lbs there is no better way how to fine tune shifting. I wonder if there is different space between chainrings or maybe different teeth width (narrower)? In this case it could be solved with 12 speed chainrings?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you want to eliminate any doubts just use a 12s chain.

c60rider

by c60rider

Stages power meters do work with pre-2015 5 arm cranksets. I bought one to go with my 2009 SR 11 for use on my winter bike a couple of years ago and it was absolute rubbish with fluctuating power and cadence measurements. I have a couple of P2Ms and with the stages being LH and P2Ms being RH I put 2 power meters on the same bike to compare. It went back for a refund but it was a gen 2 and from what I've read they had many problems with them. Reading on here it seems gen 3 is much better.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

hannawald wrote: ↑
Wed May 22, 2019 6:45 pm
My lbs was not able to tune Super Record 12 EPS with 11 speed Super Record cranks. I have problems upshifting from smaller chainring to bigger one as it wants to go out of the rings (too far). With mechanical may be I could have sorted this with up screw but with eps there is not such thing. With original Campy chainrings it is slightly better than with Bor chainrings but no good. I need to be very careful when upshifting, then it half falls but in the end catches. According to my lbs there is no better way how to fine tune shifting. I wonder if there is different space between chainrings or maybe different teeth width (narrower)? In this case it could be solved with 12 speed chainrings?
I wouldn't have expected this response. Perhaps the slightly narrower chain needs to be pushed further to catch on the pins --> and therefore getting sent over the other side.
I'm more suprised on the comment about fine tunng. On v2 and v3, you could adjust the outer limit using Riding Settings. You were able to do this by moving to the large chainring. Hold the left mode button until the purple light. Press the left shift buttons for each .1mm of adjustment. That would adjust the outer limit without affecting the inner limit.

mag

by mag

^ Yes that's still possible with 12s, on both chainrings.

hannawald

by hannawald

Great, will try, thanks! I would be surprised if my lbs could not adjust Campa, but it seems so. There is 1mm chainline difference between 12sp and 11sp cranks..

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

The chainline moved 1mm so that they could accommodate HO and non-HO setups with one crankset, but the distance between the chainrings didn't.

Many of us learned the the front EPS derailleur needs to be perfect (2mm above the outside chainring, and the outside cage perfectly alligned with the chainring).

Calnago

by Calnago

For now I’ll just say that more than just the chainline changed. The distance between the chainrings is indeed different from non HO 11sp.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I stand corrected. Non-HO INCREASED from 7.6 to 8mm. So, Hannawald, it would make sense that the chain could be thrown over the other side barring any Riding Adjustment.

by Weenie