are there any manufacturers that still do external routing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

or is that a thing of the past with carbon bikes?

im talking stock frames, not from custom builders.

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

Cannondale SuperSix EVO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Carbon ? Not that much
Aluminium yes
Steel yes
Stainless steel yes
Ti yes

Catagory6

by Catagory6

ND4SPD wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:54 pm
Cannondale SuperSix EVO
looks like SS evo has internal rear brake and rear deraillur cabling
and semi-internal front derailluer at the BB shell

yeah, not a fan of any kind of ICR

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Was about to reply that any non-aero bike from every brand have external cable.
Then realize you are talking about internal cable in the frame, not internal routing in the bar, stem and then head tube...

Oh, boy. Wonder how'd you feel if you have to route real full internal routing bike that everything go internal from the bar and stem. It becoming standard on aero bike. Soon may make its way to normal bikes.

An example video of how it could be standard in the future. Cable do not route through stem, but still get the frame by headtube spacer.
https://youtu.be/caGfWzLtG_g?t=375

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Hexsense wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:48 am
Was about to reply that any non-aero bike from every brand have external cable.
Then realize you are talking about internal cable in the frame, not internal routing in the bar, stem and then head tube...

Oh, boy. Wonder how'd you feel if you have to route real full internal routing bike that everything go internal from the bar and stem. It becoming standard on aero bike. Soon may make its way to normal bikes.

An example video of how it could be standard in the future. Cable do not route through stem, but still get the frame by headtube spacer.
https://youtu.be/caGfWzLtG_g?t=375
oh

My

GOD !!!!!

note to self: never Ever EVER get a Pinarello Dogma F12... E... V... E... R... !!!!

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

Catagory6 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:43 am
ND4SPD wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:54 pm
Cannondale SuperSix EVO
looks like SS evo has internal rear brake and rear deraillur cabling
and semi-internal front derailluer at the BB shell

yeah, not a fan of any kind of ICR
Get an eTap and you will only have integrated rear brake cable :)

LouisN

by LouisN

Felt FR frames run external shift cables (except from under BB to RD) for their mechanical option.
There's a "screw on" alloy "double cable stop" device that can be added to the down tube.
Rear brake routing is internal though, and passing through the down tube ( yeah... chainstay based direct mount rear brake .... :x ).

Louis :)

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

LouisN wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:29 pm
Felt FR frames run external shift cables (except from under BB to RD) for their mechanical option.
There's a "screw on" alloy "double cable stop" device that can be added to the down tube.
Louis :)
That's the proper way to do mechanical. I was lucky, when I bought my Time NXS it was still offered either internal (electronic) or external shift for mechanical. I despise mechanical shift bikes with internal routing.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

All depends how it’s done. If there are no obstructions in the downtube, I much prefer the derailleur cables to be running inside the downtube as opposed to outside. It’s way cleaner looking and they stay protected from the elements and never run the risk of getting scraped up alongside the downtube if you lay it down or just lean it against something, either intentionally or in transport. As long as there’s nothing interfering friction wise with anything it’s good. Case by case basis.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Parlee Z1.
Also, not drilling holes in the carbon tubes keeps the integrity of the material intact.
I'm not a fan of ICL either.

nickf

by nickf

Love my 2015 supersix external routing. So easy to service. Cables last just as long as my internal routed bikes. Next frame will be with external routing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

posaunemeister

by posaunemeister

nickf wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:46 am
Love my 2015 supersix external routing. So easy to service. Cables last just as long as my internal routed bikes. Next frame will be with external routing.
Agreed. I currently have a Felt Z series bike with internal cables (my first of such) and I find the cable leading to the rear break to be impossible to quiet, even with it being in a nylon sleeve inside the top tube -- the pull action isn't ideal either, even with new housing and no burrs. I currently have a build project in the works with an older Scott aluminum frame with external routing -- can't wait until it's finished so I can make it my main steed.
"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." - Abraham Joshua Heschel