Di2 Shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Hi all,

I'm helping a friend to plan his bike build. he is asking if there is any significant change to R9150 shifters from 9070. Online article seems to suggest they are quite similar, just abit slimmer and with textured rubber hood. Any one have experience with both? what about the braking side, are they very different? like softer pull or better modulation/feel? thanks.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I went from 9070 to 9150 and to be honest I can't really tell there's a difference between the two.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 am
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend to plan his bike build. he is asking if there is any significant change to R9150 shifters from 9070. Online article seems to suggest they are quite similar, just abit slimmer and with textured rubber hood. Any one have experience with both? what about the braking side, are they very different? like softer pull or better modulation/feel? thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EnUqB0ww3U

TonyM

by TonyM

I understood that the click is more defined as it was a common complain.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:10 am
I went from 9070 to 9150 and to be honest I can't really tell there's a difference between the two.
Same here, FA difference, click is a little more pronounced and the dura-ace running down the lever is a little different.
BB

Coffee & carbon

Ritxis

by Ritxis

beanbiken wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:52 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Same here, FA difference, click is a little more pronounced and the dura-ace running down the lever is a little different.
pdlpsher1 wrote:

the body of the handle is also different

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 9150 levers over the 9070. The shifter hood is beefier on the 9150 and there is more there to hold on to. And the tactile feedback on the 9150 is a lot better. You can better tell when you've completed the shift since you get a nice click - the buttons on the 9070 levers are too mushy.

The 8050 shifters are virtually identical to the 9150 if your friend is looking to save a little. I cannot tell any difference between them.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

thanks for your feedbacks guys. i will forward the message.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Just to jump into a di2 thread, could someone tell me if it's possible to setup di2 to work exactly like SRAM etap in relation to the front mech ie left n right buttons simultaneously to change.

Maddie

by Maddie

No, not possible

Gesendet von meinem MAR-LX1A mit Tapatalk

Foxman50

by Foxman50

Many thanks Maddie

Maddie

by Maddie

What I did was using the top shifter hood buttons for the front derailleur

Gesendet von meinem MAR-LX1A mit Tapatalk

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Foxman50 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 pm
Just to jump into a di2 thread, could someone tell me if it's possible to setup di2 to work exactly like SRAM etap in relation to the front mech ie left n right buttons simultaneously to change.
No but, having a bike with Di2 and the other with eTAP, I changed the Di2 button configuration so the logic is more alike. Now my right hand upshifts, left hand downshifts, the rearward buttons control the rear derailleur, front ones the front derailleur. So now the much more used rear shift buttons are like eTAP. I get less mixed up when I go from one bike to the next.

As a bonus with the older mushy Di2 buttons, it's a lot better when it's cold and I wear full fingered gloves that make it harder to feel which button you are touching. The way mine are set, it's easier to find the rear derailleur buttons and be sure that's what you'll press as they're on the rear edge.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Foxman50 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 pm
Impossible to do simultaneous command.
However, my Di2 set up as:
left big button: bigger cassette (same as sprint shifter)
right big button: smaller cassette (same as sprint shifter)

left small button: smaller chainring
right small button: bigger chainring

The cassette shifting logic is like Etap, but front ring is different.
Dan Gerous wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:21 pm
As a bonus with the older mushy Di2 buttons, it's a lot better when it's cold and I wear full fingered gloves that make it harder to feel which button you are touching. The way mine are set, it's easier to find the rear derailleur buttons and be sure that's what you'll press as they're on the rear edge.
That's different from my set-up. The front button is taller (easier to press from hood, i use sprint shifter when in drop), and more pronounced (have texture, and sit more outward than back button) so i find it easier to find therefore i set the front button for rear derailleur.
We can't switch bike and shift correctly for sure. :lol:
Last edited by Hexsense on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baal

by Baal

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am
I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 9150 levers over the 9070. The shifter hood is beefier on the 9150 and there is more there to hold on to. And the tactile feedback on the 9150 is a lot better. You can better tell when you've completed the shift since you get a nice click - the buttons on the 9070 levers are too mushy.

The 8050 shifters are virtually identical to the 9150 if your friend is looking to save a little. I cannot tell any difference between them.
I'll just add that the more pronounced click is also true on the newest Ultegra shifters compared to the previous version. I like it better but I wouldn't upgrade just for that. I prefer the fatter hoods on the newer version but again it's not that big a deal for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com