Frame too large.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Hello . I ride road Felt Z4, 55cm top tube, I am 173cm ( I should be riding 52-53cm). I already have 90mm stem (dont' want to get any shorter). Will no-offset seatpost help move me forward for more efficient pedalling? Thanks

kdawg

by kdawg

It will certainly move you forward but it’s hard to say if that’s the right thing - your saddle position should really be defined from the bottom bracket and then you use the length of the top tube and within reason the stem to get the bars in the correct place.

Generally you’re better starting with the correct size to optimise handling and pedalling efficiency.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Function over looks. If you've decided to keep the frame go 60mm stem and zero offset seatpost if you have to.

There are tricks like using a split nose seat. They are comfy and have the sit bone position several centimeters forward compared to a regular seat. You might not need a new seatpost.

Also make sure your bars have low "reach".

Be careful that if you move your center of gravity too far forward by sticking to a too long stem, then your messing with handling and hip angles. It will likely cause discomfort and weird behavior.

It might seem ok for that first 30min ride but when you start piling on the hours you'll likely regret it.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

While Zipp (80mm or such ) or 3T (77mm or such) are widely regarded as the shortest ever, some companies offer 65mm-reach handlebars (e.g. specialized), and I'm sure you can go to extremes and get even shorter ones...

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Please just sell it and buy a 52. I'm 6ft and ride 54 (should be on 56 but don't like them) because I hate big frames because I spent years on MTB, smaller frames just handle nicer and put you in a nicer position.

none

by none

I'm 5'9" , been riding. 58cm frame since 2004, before that I ride 54 & 56cm frames.
My measurement between top of saddle & center of bottom bracket has nearly always been 76cm.
My stem choices are minimal 100mm in length & 15-25mm offset seatpost.
Each person likely to have different preference how they like their bike fitted, without watching how that person ride, climb, sprint, seated interval and suffer when exhausted; it's difficult to tell how each person can benefit from one size vs another.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

I like the bike and just wonder if I should try 90-->>70mn stem first or will it mess up the handling. Or maybe I will get used to it?

none

by none

victorduraace wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 am
I like the bike and just wonder if I should try 90-->>70mn stem first or will it mess up the handling. Or maybe I will get used to it?
Well, there's only one way to find out for yourself, put it on, ride it and see if you get used to it after few hundred miles.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

victorduraace wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 am
Of course you'll adapt to it, but IMHO it's too twitchy with such a short stem like 70mm, however that could be preference for some people. Those people are outliers, the average person between on a 52-56cm frame should be on 100-120mm stem according to preference. But of course there is variability between manufacturers, so try it if you really don't want to go through the hassle of getting another frame, it could be that it's okay with your frameset.

For mountain biking it's quite clear that wider bars can compensate for this quite a lot so if you ran 44cm bars that could dial out some of the twitch, but then you're losing aero. Although for MTB I love 50mm stems, but then I run 720-740mm bars for enduro and all mountain.

Long stem.

Short stem.

I'm happiest on 110mm for 54cm frames and 120mm on 52cm frames and 100mm on 56cm frames. Obviously we're all different and go with what works for you.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I read somewhere that it's hard to say what is more stable/twitchy. A smaller frame with longer stem or larger frame with shorter stem.

Because the larger frame has greater wheelbase it maybe counteracts the twitchyness of a short stem, and vice versa. Something like that...

Lewn777

by Lewn777

alcatraz wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:22 pm
I read somewhere that it's hard to say what is more stable/twitchy. A smaller frame with longer stem or larger frame with shorter stem.

Because the larger frame has greater wheelbase it maybe counteracts the twitchyness of a short stem, and vice versa. Something like that...
That sounds logical actuallly. But I think the speed you're riding at will have a big effect. Very fast sweeping turns are proabably much better with a longer stem, but slower technical turns like mountain switchbacks could be preferable with a shorter stem.

I still think if possible go with a recommended frameset size or go one smaller and ideally put a 100-120mm stem on it, aesthetically it doesn't look to be riding a farmyard gate with almost no seatpost visible. But I suppose it's better than buying an entire new frameset if it works. :thumbup:

jih

by jih

A small stem might make the handle badly, but the bike not fitting you will make you handle the bike badly.

Unless there really is no other option, get a bike that fits. A second hand, third tier bike that fits beats a brand new superbike that doesn’t fit.

mattr

by mattr

jih wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:39 pm
A second hand, third tier bike that fits beats a brand new superbike that doesn’t fit.
+1 Fit first, always.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

There is lot of seatpost showing, just frame is 3cm too long for me :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thelorax121

by thelorax121

That seatpost looks normal to me for a compact frame.